Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering some upgrades to my 2013' XC. It already has aftermarket pipes and a Power Commander V (PCV) controller and I want to add more power (more get up and gone type power). So, I plan to put in LLOYDZ VM1 TOUR CAMS and some of his other performance parts because they are highly recommended. Folks here at VictoryForums talk about all the parts I'm GOING to install, such as, the VM1 Tour Cams, the Adjustable Intake Air Valve, the Adjustable Timing plate System, the High Flow Air Filter and the Quarter Turn Throttle Clip but, there are no searchable comments or concerns about adding LLOYDZ's High Compression PISTONs (IE the 11.0:1). So, I need to ask....What are the pros and cons to upgrading my 2013' 106 XC engine with LLOYDZs pistons in respect to the engine and overall bike (IE trans, drive train, battery, frame, etc?

Please: Factual help preferred but, opinions are also welcome.

Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I can't provide any personal insight as to performance but I can state that the bike will take the pressures easily. The guys at Parkland in Red Deer Alberta were designing their own cams and installing high compression pistons in the early 90's and I've heard nothing bad about them. I did talk to a couple of people that had gone with the mods a couple of years afterward and while they still liked the performance, I do not remember if we discussed their driving style. Polaris offered resistance to their mods at the time but Parkland got some excellent results long before the manufacturer even considered such changes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... I heard of this place. Time is of essence so, I'll check into them and call... Thanks...

Stay Vertical my friend...

·
Banned
471 Posts
I am considering some upgrades to my 2013' XC. It already has aftermarket pipes and a Power Commander V (PCV) controller and I want to add more power (more get up and gone type power). So, I plan to put in LLOYDZ VM1 TOUR CAMS and some of his other performance parts because they are highly recommended. Folks here at VictoryForums talk about all the parts I'm GOING to install, such as, the VM1 Tour Cams, the Adjustable Intake Air Valve, the Adjustable Timing plate System, the High Flow Air Filter and the Quarter Turn Throttle Clip but, there are no searchable comments or concerns about adding LLOYDZ's High Compression PISTONs (IE the 11.0:1). So, I need to ask....What are the pros and cons to upgrading my 2013' 106 XC engine with LLOYDZs pistons in respect to the engine and overall bike (IE trans, drive train, battery, frame, etc?

Please: Factual help preferred but, opinions are also welcome.

Thanks so much!!!
I would think the first person i would call would be...Llyodz...

·
Registered
328 Posts
If I were throwing that much into it, I'd go the little extra and get the 116 big bore. You are buying pistons, cams, most likely upgrading clutch, dropping motor. Big bore shouldn't be much more

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
If I were throwing that much into it, I'd go the little extra and get the 116 big bore. You are buying pistons, cams, most likely upgrading clutch, dropping motor. Big bore shouldn't be much more
In an X bike the difference might not be as great as you think

·
Registered
236 Posts
In an X bike the difference might not be as great as you think
Very interested in this statement .. my brother has been looking at doing the 116" kit but is having a hard time stomaching all the additional recommended additions. Both him and I already have Lloydz Gen III, Air Cleaner, ATS, IAC, and he has the VM1-DR cams (which will be going in mine shortly).

Are you sort of getting at the fact that going with the high compression pistons over the entire 116" kit may be a substantial gain in power with a substantial decrease in cost?

If it is too much to really get into here, I'll call you at the shop, but figured others may want to know more about this statement :)

EDIT: Or was your statement strictly geared towards cost?

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Few people do just the high compression pistons. If you have the engine apart and you are paying for new pistons anyway, the 116" package makes more sense and most certainly those additional 10 cubic inches will make a lot more power.

In either case you will want a clutch upgrade (a spring is really all you need) and a PC-V to tune it, so the only real additional cost is the larger cylinders.

It'd be a bitch to get it all done and spend the money only to wish you had done the 116 while you were in it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your inputs... Yes.... I should've called LLOYDZ... I suppose I didn't because I wanted opinions that were unbiased. Yet, I should have at least called them for theirs. Thanks MRMAXX and I'll call you KEVINX as soon as I can.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK from what I understand from folks I spoke to, wrote to and viewed on the internet is that this bike is fully capable of handling more compression without worry of degrading parts too prematurely. The few components that might feel some heat/strain... are: clutch, tires, and the pistons themselves. Clutch could use a stronger spring/plate for better grip/etc... Tires could wear sooner because of the WOW factor and the pistons need to be properly utilized by way of warming them up to 125 degrees before lowering/dropping the hammer. This means idle it for 30 to 60 seconds or better before you get on it any. A suggestion I've been told was to get a thermometer oil dip stick to help you monitor the engine temp....

Thus far the word on the street from pros/exp owners is if you're going to do this level of mods, get ready for some sore cheekbones and aching cheeks from all the smiling' you'll be doing... other than that, it's not as scary as the words "HIGH Compression"..are..

It's more like the excitement you get when you say... the words....."DROP the HAMMER"....

Well, keep the comments coming and if I get more info, I'll let ya know...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
You can trust anything that KevinX tells you about Victory performance!!!!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Over the winter I hope to be able to tear down my bike and have Rylan do a bit of work to my heads. I know he can get my compression around the 10.1 mark~ but I'm seriously thinking of using Lloydz forged pistons anyway. As silly as it sounds to some of you I'm sure, I want to actually see what the 106 with a great combination of mods will actually do before I do a big bore (which honestly I'd likely wait another 1.5-2yrs to do).
I can't help it, I just have to know. I have set a goal to make as close to 130hp as I can from just the lil ole 106. Good news is that from talking to Rylan...it doesn't seem that far fetched :)

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
OK from what I understand from folks I spoke to, wrote to and viewed on the internet is that this bike is fully capable of handling more compression without worry of degrading parts too prematurely. The few components that might feel some heat/strain... are: clutch, tires, and the pistons themselves. Clutch could use a stronger spring/plate for better grip/etc... Tires could wear sooner because of the WOW factor and the pistons need to be properly utilized by way of warming them up to 125 degrees before lowering/dropping the hammer. This means idle it for 30 to 60 seconds or better before you get on it any. A suggestion I've been told was to get a thermometer oil dip stick to help you monitor the engine temp....

Thus far the word on the street from pros/exp owners is if you're going to do this level of mods, get ready for some sore cheekbones and aching cheeks from all the smiling' you'll be doing... other than that, it's not as scary as the words "HIGH Compression"..are..

It's more like the excitement you get when you say... the words....."DROP the HAMMER"....

Well, keep the comments coming and if I get more info, I'll let ya know...
More like a few minutes warm up id reckon.
On my 100 cube I wait till the lhs barrel is hot to touch..
Rhs is somewhat insulated by camchain tunnel so yeah after a few minutes idling Ive usually shut the sheds rollerdoor, got my jacket done up helmet on and rh glove.
Check shes warmed up and ride off.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I really hate to see this thread die out, surely there are a handful of you guys with Lloydz pistons?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
not an oil thread but!!!

using Redline ester based oil with its natural polarity + heat handling capability would be good insurance. 10-40 for everything but very hot weather where 20-50 is better. Redline being a real group V synthetic requires a break-in with conventional mineral oil. Redline just may be the best off the shelf high performance oil today!!! like automobiles increased compression has many benefits, even though Vic heads are very good stock a little massage from a talented porter will prolly increase power as well, interested in your outcome, good luck

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Here's my $.02.
I installed 11:1 lloyds Pistons in my 05 Pin. Also had stage 3 cams PC3 and a few other goodies. It definitely had a lot more power than stock and was a blast to ride. I did have to run octane boost when the ambient temps went way over 100 degrees to keep it from rattling., although that problem seemed to go away after a couple years for some reason. I did have to warm it up before getting on it. That's because the forged Pistons need to have more clearance since they expand quite a bit as they warm up. So there was a little bit of piston slap when the motor was cold. I personally would go with stock Pistons and maybe slightly deck the cylinders or run a thinner gasket if possible and raise the compression a little that way if I built another Vic motor for street. Unless I was going to build a race motor. For me, with the 106 I can get all the power I really need with cams, intake, fuel controller, and pipes.
Good luck with your build. Either way you choose, I would bet the bike will be fun and reliable. These Vic's do seem to be very robust.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks, Tarzan. Yeah, I'm no stranger to forgies, I've run allot of em, no stranger to a race fuel cocktail either. As long as I get the results I want I'm a happy camper. Did you have your bike dyno tuned by chance?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts