Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So every once in a while I get the urge to test the stability of my Cross Country. On the freeway just set the cruise and take the hands off the bars. In the past the bike just tracked straight and was very easy to adjust within in the lane by leaning slightly in the saddle. I have done this multiple times and was very happy with the results. Once I placed Ride-On in the tires it became even more stable.

That was until I got new tires last week. Now when I do the same thing on the same highway the bike pulls to the left. Not terribly, but enough that it requires me to lightly pull on the left grip to correct. I have the same Dunlop Elite tires and the same amount of Ride-On inside them. Since the shop offered to pull the wheels for me, I let them do all the labor. I checked the adjustment of the rear wheel and belt tension last night and it appears to be right. I actually loosened and readjusted it. Is there something that could be incorrect in the front wheel? Is it possible that the wheel weights are wrong?

BTW there is nothing in the bags or trunk.

Ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine would do the same thing. I figured I was just fatter on my left side.:D

·
Registered
851 Posts
I had a new rear put on after picking up a couple of nails. It felt a lot different. I took it to my neighborhood shop and he found that the alignment was just slightly off to the point he was surprised I could even tell. He adjusted it and she tracts straight and true. The Cross bikes might just be more sensitive to rear wheel alignment than other bikes.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Whew! When I read that thread title, I thought we were getting political. But I'm relieved to find it is about another problem. =)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL. RICZ- No politics here. That is the death of a forum.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
LOL. RICZ- No politics here. That is the death of a forum.
Then you don't want to go over to the "better fill up" thread. :soapbox:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I had a new rear put on after picking up a couple of nails. It felt a lot different. I took it to my neighborhood shop and he found that the alignment was just slightly off to the point he was surprised I could even tell. He adjusted it and she tracts straight and true. The Cross bikes might just be more sensitive to rear wheel alignment than other bikes.

I was just about to post a new thread asking about SLIGHTLY off on my rear tire alignment Goatlocker. Just put my new tire back on tonight and with notes from the forum on alignment I commenced to set alignment then tension. So, when I was setting my alignment I was able to make my belt track almost completly left on the pulley and then just backed off actually leaving a little bit more gap on the right then on the left. Set my tensioners, torqued the axle nut and test road.

AWSOME ride, I used to have the slight pull on the left of the bar that Warr110r is speaking of both after shop swapped the tire and I installed my OD pulley. Now my bike seems to be riding true (Dunlop E3 btw) down the highway, used to have a slight hum but thats gone however, once I got to work I took a look and darn if the stinkin belt isnt over on the right of the pulley. Not tight on it, doesnt appear anyway but NOT in the center. I had even started the bike as recommended by one rider and let it rotate a couple minutes when we were adjusting.

Anythought if I should try to tweek this?

I actually loosened and readjusted it.
How did you align it and retention? Just curious to your steps. I rotated the tired until my belt tracked all the way to the left then slowly brought it back to the right kicking the tire each adjustment to make sure it stayed tight on the tentioners. It was theraputic too!

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I was just about to post a new thread asking about SLIGHTLY off on my rear tire alignment Goatlocker. Just put my new tire back on tonight and with notes from the forum on alignment I commenced to set alignment then tension. So, when I was setting my alignment I was able to make my belt track almost completly left on the pulley and then just backed off actually leaving a little bit more gap on the right then on the left. Set my tensioners, torqued the axle nut and test road.

AWSOME ride, I used to have the slight pull on the left of the bar that Warr110r is speaking of both after shop swapped the tire and I installed my OD pulley. Now my bike seems to be riding true (Dunlop E3 btw) down the highway, used to have a slight hum but thats gone however, once I got to work I took a look and darn if the stinkin belt isnt over on the right of the pulley. Not tight on it, doesnt appear anyway but NOT in the center. I had even started the bike as recommended by one rider and let it rotate a couple minutes when we were adjusting.

Anythought if I should try to tweek this?

How did you align it and retention? Just curious to your steps. I rotated the tired until my belt tracked all the way to the left then slowly brought it back to the right kicking the tire each adjustment to make sure it stayed tight on the tentioners. It was theraputic too!
There is a prescribed alignment method documented in the service manual, and I think even the owners manual. The belt is NOT supposed to track down the center of the pulley.

Set belt Tension FIRST ! Then set alignment by adjusting only the left adjuster so as not to change the tension.

Be sure to keep the axle forward against the front edge of the adjusters.

Rotate the wheel BACKWARDs. Tighten LEFT rear axle
adjuster until belt BEGINS to track to right sprocket
flange (outboard) during backward wheel rotation

Rotate the wheel in FORWARD direction. Loosen
LEFT rear axle adjuster until belt moves off the right
flange and begins to track to left sprocket flange
(inboard) during forward wheel rotation.

Tighten rear axle nut to 88 Nm (65 lb-ft).

Torque both axle adjuster nuts to 11 N-m (8 lb-ft).

Pump rear brake pedal several times to reset brake
pad distance

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
There is a prescribed alignment method documented in the service manual, and I think even the owners manual. The belt is NOT supposed to track down the center of the pulley.
Thanks Gunslinger, Yup got that there is documentation (follow my service manual best I have tools to do so) as in using the alignment tool PV43528 which I don't have and the the method is measurement with the tool which will give best alignment, not tracking down the center. As I said, I was asking after reading several other riders comments on how to align without the tool. Trying to figure out the best way in the garage, not the shop.. Thanks though..... I do appreciate your input as what you edited and added is what I was wanting to clarify... :D So I checked my pulley after getting home from work and I am now slightly off the right flange where it should be... Cant figure out why it moved to the right so much initally after I did the backwards/forwards... But hey, it is just off the right now... Thanks for the confirmation. My 04 manual doesnt lay it out like that...

Thanks again and safe riddin...!

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Thanks Gunslinger, Yup got that there is documentation (follow my service manual best I have tools to do so) as in using the alignment tool PV43528 which I don't have and the the method is measurement with the tool which will give best alignment, not tracking down the center. As I said, I was asking after reading several other riders comments on how to align without the tool. Trying to figure out the best way in the garage, not the shop.. Thanks though..... I do appreciate your input:D
I went back and added the alignment method that is prescribed for all the Vision and X bikes.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I went back and added the alignment method that is prescribed for all the Vision and X bikes.
Yup just got that after editing mine too.. lol.. That was the info I was needing.. The 04 manual has you using an alignment tool off the swing arm pin. I can tell you this, I used to have a slight hum and the infamous squeek at one time. I did this once before and got rid of the squeek but not the hum it had around 35 to 40.. After aligning this way yesterday I swear it is almost a shaft drive.... lol... Thanks again!thumb up

·
Registered
53 Posts
My Cross Country has always pulled very slightly to the left too. I was curious if that meant the rear was out of line, guess I know what to check now.

Thanks!

·
13,247 Posts
Just what I was going to say Aligment

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks a bunch Gunslinger!! I printed this out and will give it a shot tonight before heading out on my 4 day run.

cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts