Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted about this a year or so. A basically new Vegas that has pulled
hard to the right since day one. Belt alignment is perfect, tires are like new (2500 miles). I fought this thing again for the 3rd time through WV mountains and it is a handful. Coming home on the interstate was better but it is tiring just to keep this bike in a straight line. I have owned maybe 30 bikes over the years and nothing like this. Going back to the dealer tomorrow. Can't believe that weight from exhaust system and belt drive could cause this.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
hard to the right since day one. Belt alignment is perfect, tires are like new (2500 miles). I fought this thing again for the 3rd time through WV mountains and it is a handful. Coming home on the interstate was better but it is tiring just to keep this bike in a straight line. I have owned maybe 30 bikes over the years and nothing like this. Going back to the dealer tomorrow. Can't believe that weight from exhaust system and belt drive could cause this.
Definitely let the dealer check this out. If they come back with a "they all do this" etc, get a second opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally got down to nuts and bolts?

Although rear axle adjusters were equal, have more tire wear on the
left side of the rear tire (facing forward). The belt also tends to ride to the left telling me that the rear tire is adjusted too far left (looking from the rear. Am in the process of bringing the rear wheel into true alignment. If this doesn't work, will go to plan B.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Kevinx

I am going to remove both mufflers tomorrow and take a noisy trip down the interstate. If the bike doesn't track then it is history. Back to a Guzzi or Harley. I do have a BMW R1200C that tracks but doesn't idle well.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Just get a nice set of aftermarket pipes. No need to dump the bike.
Indeed. I hear the OEM pipes are stupid heavy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Things are getting better

Thanks guys for the suggestions and putting up with a frustrated rant.
Last night I loosened the rear axle bolt and attempted to aim the rear wheel just a little to the right to bring the bike back to more normal tracking. My imagination or ??? The bike tracked better and didn't have the hard right pull. Brought it home and again checked the rear wheel alignment and adjusted belt tension. I know that exhaust system weight is a big factor but now if I put 2 six packs in the left saddle bag the bike steers almost neutral.. What seems strange is
that even if you mal-adjust the rear axle adjusting nuts, most of it gets nullified when tightening the rear axle bolt to 65 foot pounds. The rear wheel is pretty much going to be pulled back in line.

By the way, installed Victory short windshield, Victory small leather bags, ebay safety bars, deluxe Victory passenger seat and back rest, Kuryakyn cheese wedge chrome accent strips and a home made front fender extender using 3M commercial double stick tape. Just enough stuff to make the bike work for us.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
My 2013 Highball pulled hard right... Removed stock pipes replaced with Bassani no more right pull. It's nothing except the pipes. I sold mine to a guy in the U.S. Totally shipping weight including box was like 43 lbs. I might have had 5-6 lbs of box and packing.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had the pull to the right as well. I had the Vic swepts on the bike. Replaced the pipes with the RPW Bad Boy and now the bike will coast no hands. I imagine it's the combination of less weight and less drag.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Basani Slash Cuts fixed my "pull to the right problem" also. I had to use an angle grinder to get the 2 sections apart as they were practically welded together. Cannot believe how heavy these stock exhaust components are! Sent them packing to a scrap yard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a gunner that does the same thing. I has a 2006 kawasaki vulcan I purchased new dealer gave me a list a mile long of what may be causing it. Changed exhaust pipes and the bike
never pulled again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts