Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search and did not find anything on this so I started this thread. I now have 800 miles on my 2011 Vegas Jackpot. When cold and engaing the clutch, the forward movement sort of pulsates. After the oil comes up to operating temp...the pulsating is barely noticable...does anyone else have this issue? If so, what is the fix?
Thanks in advance!
Dana
:confused:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yep, I have it with my 2011 XC as well. It is worse when the bike is cold, but still present when hot. It is a bit unnerving when doing slow parking lot maneuvers. I plan on talking to the dealer about it in a couple of weeks when I go see them for other issues.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I have it with my 2011 XC as well. It is worse when the bike is cold, but still present when hot. It is a bit unnerving when doing slow parking lot maneuvers. I plan on talking to the dealer about it in a couple of weeks when I go see them for other issues.
Very interesting. I just did my 500 miles 1st service. The dealer is now waiting for a primary seal and then they are going to install the factory fix for the noise at idle when the clutch is disengaged. They said they'd look at the clutch when they're in there doing the fix. If you find out anything new, please post and I will do the same for our brothers on Vics in this forum.
thumb up

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Same thing on my 2011 Vision. Has done it since new with the factory oil as well as the Shell Rotella I use. After it's warm, it doesn't do it anymore. My guess is that my bike sat for quite a while, and the clutch plates stuck together somewhat.... they actually had to crack the clutch loose before I picked the bike up. I'm thinking that when the clutch wears out, and I put new plates/fibers in, it'll go away. I could probably do it now, but it doesn't bother me enough to tear it apart. And, even though it's under warranty, I can't see making the dealer do something I have personally done myself on previous bikes.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Heard from Kevinx that apparently the owners manual says that when cold, hold the clutch in for 30 seconds while in Neutral before engaging..... I will try this to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Holding the clutch in in neutral does the trick for me.
I've been doing that but perhaps not long enough. Next time I fire it up, I'll fire it in gear with the clutch disengaged and hold it like that for 2-3 minutes and see what happens. BTW, I am using the Victory Semi-Synthetic 20/50 as prescribed by the Mfg.:cool:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Every time they up grade something it seems to cause other problems. (2011 and newer seem to have grabby clutches) my 2010 Jackpot never did it.wac

·
Registered
659 Posts
My 2011 Cross Country has this issue as well. Holding the clutch in for more than 30 seconds does nothing. Riding a few blocks in stop-n-go traffic does nothing. After maybe 10-15 minutes the effect gets less but never goes away. After an hour on the interstate I get off and stop at the first light and it's still there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My brand new 2012 Vision does it. I notice it when I back out of the garage and do my 90 degree turn down the driveway. 100 yrds later at the first stop sign and it is basically gone. I will try to 30 second hold trick. I usually only hold it for a second or two but do that 3 or 4 times before shifting into first and rolling along. At this point not an issue I will even mention to the dealer at this level of pulsation. If it gets worse I will. 325 miles on the ODO.

·
Premium Member
13,165 Posts
I've been doing that but perhaps not long enough. Next time I fire it up, I fire it in gear with the clutch disengaged and hold it like that for 2-3 minutes and see what happens. BTW, I am using the Victory Semi-Synthetic 20/50 as prescribed by the Mfg.:cool:
That could be part of the issue. It's supposed to be 20/40 wt semi-synth and things are cooling down outside; even in SoCal.

The trans/clutch on these bikes are designed to drag a little. That's why they clunk when going into first. It's most noticeable when cold but you can still feel it when it gets hot sometimes.

All in all; I consider this normal for the Freedom engine.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Holding the clutch in had zero effect this AM.

Got maybe 15 miles from the house and came to the first red light of the morning. Let the clutch out so that the bike just started to move forward, kept the clutch lever perfectly still, resisted/controlled forward movement with my legs, after moving forward maybe a foot the clutch was no longer moving the bike forward, pushed it back a few inches and felt the clutch start to catch again, I could bounce off this spot in the clutch. I then walked it forward a couple of feet and the clutch caught again... same result.

So your saying that unpredictable clutch engagement is normal and safe?

By the way... only Victory oil by a reputable dealer so far and no clutch rattle.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Betcha after a few low speed drops they will figure it out.cheers
Not a clutch to learn how to ride on.
This is why I'am so impressed with my Raider. Been on the raider fourms for over three years and not one major problem since inception. Its heaver, no 6 speed and not as much fun to ride as the HB but talk about bullet proof. Trans. and clutch (hydr) are very smooth with no funny noises.
Being a small old fart I love the lightness of the HI Ball.
Now which one do I sell.:crzy::crzy:
The Raider is listed for sale but it's a hard choice.thumb upcheers

·
Premium Member
13,165 Posts
Betcha after a few low speed drops they will figure it out.cheers
Not a clutch to learn how to ride on.
This is why I'am so impressed with my Raider. Been on the raider fourms for over three years and not one major problem since inception. Its heaver, no 6 speed and not as much fun to ride as the HB but talk about bullet proof. Trans. and clutch (hydr) are very smooth with no funny noises.
Being a small old fart I love the lightness of the HI Ball.
Now which one do I sell.:crzy::crzy:
The Raider is listed for sale but it's a hard choice.thumb upcheers
That is the nicest Raider I've seen yet! Super clean with great lines. The wheels are reminiscent of those I had on a Jackpot and the engine looks much more like an HD engine than Victory's motor.

Being as I'm biased toward blue; luvvin' that paint job too. :D

I think I'd really like to ride one of these someday for a few miles to feel the weight, balance, power, and clutch/trans.

·
Registered
774 Posts
That could be part of the issue. It's supposed to be 20/40 wt semi-synth and things are cooling down outside; even in SoCal.

The trans/clutch on these bikes are designed to drag a little. That's why they clunk when going into first. It's most noticeable when cold but you can still feel it when it gets hot sometimes.

All in all; I consider this normal for the Freedom engine.
Agree Bob, does anyone know who makes vick oil?
When I was bathing in the stuff last week I found it to be the stickiest blend I'v ever gotten on me. Also seems to get dirtier quicker than the Mobil 1.- I used in the Jackpot.
I know these are suppose to be good things but glue???thumb up
Idea''' mabey I'll try the Vic. oil in the Raider and see what happens.
The Raider uses Gear oil in the primarry and bet Vic. wishes they did also. Silent, yes chain.cheers

·
Registered
774 Posts
Holding the clutch in had zero effect this AM.

Got maybe 15 miles from the house and came to the first red light of the morning. Let the clutch out so that the bike just started to move forward, kept the clutch lever perfectly still, resisted/controlled forward movement with my legs, after moving forward maybe a foot the clutch was no longer moving the bike forward, pushed it back a few inches and felt the clutch start to catch again, I could bounce off this spot in the clutch. I then walked it forward a couple of feet and the clutch caught again... same result.

So your saying that unpredictable clutch engagement is normal and safe?

By the way... only Victory oil by a reputable dealer so far and no clutch rattle.
Something in the clutch must not be perfectly Round or Flat or square or maybe they changed the plate composition. OOOOh the poor engineers.wac
If more than three of us report this to DOT they usually get on them right away..Safety

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agree Bob, does anyone know who makes vick oil?
When I was bathing in the stuff last week I found it to be the stickiest blend I'v ever gotten on me. Also seems to get dirtier quicker than the Mobil 1.- I used in the Jackpot.
I know these are suppose to be good things but glue???thumb up
Idea''' mabey I'll try the Vic. oil in the Raider and see what happens.
The Raider uses Gear oil in the primarry and bet Vic. wishes they did also. Silent, yes chain.cheers
When you used Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil in your Jackpot, how did the clutch perform? Any slippage? Any grabbing? I've been a fan of Mobil 1 Motorcycle oil 20/50 V-TWIN for years...ran it 41,000 miles in my 2003 VROD with excellent results.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts