Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Best bike I ever owned is my 2012 XCT.

I thought the slogan, "Ride one and you'll own one" was a gimmick. No gimmick. I rode one and promptly went out and bought one...haven't looked back. No buyers remorse, NO HARLEY HUNTING! I loves my bike!!

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
If you have to ask, we may not be able to help.

Go ride both and get what you feel is best for you. If you have to have something, the list is long and subjective, however cost of ownership should be far less than a HD.

You have to love it, so get what you love.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Vs HD what? What model you looking at in HD and what are your likes and concerns about both. Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
35 Posts
WOW , mike's video's seem to show up every time there is someone who is a non-victory owner. he is one of the best . even better than "gunnie". imo.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I never can understand these kind of questions. Buy what you like. Ride them both and buy the one you like. I owned a HD and really liked it then I rode a Victory and I really liked it. Both are good high quality bikes and both will be fun.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Harley has...
...no room for your feet (teeny-tiny footboards)
...no power (compared to Victory HD's are almost anemic)
...no modernism (buy a 1994 as it will look the same)
...no suspension (2-inches of travel vs. Victory's 4-inch)
...no reliability (see videos above for why the Vics are more reliable)
etc

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go ride both, preferably very close in time to each other. Get the one that you like the best.

I test rode everything I could get my hands on before buying my first Vic (XCT). The next best bike was the HD Ultra Classic. It was just a tad bit too small for two up riding. Very comfortable bike, almost as comfortable as the Vic XCT. The HD seemed to handle better at very slow speeds. Past 10mph or so, the Vic handled better.

Try them both, get the one YOU WANT! Don't be swayed by fanatics from either side. You're the one that will be riding it! thumb up Personally, I like the Vic's better.

Either way, you're welcome to ride with me anytime. I don't care what you're riding as long as you're riding and enjoying the ridecheers

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Tell me why I should purchase a victory cc tour vs. HD?
I can't tell you why you should buy a Victory, but I can tell you why I did. First, both are very nice bikes. I see Crossroads has supplied the engine propaganda video. Here are some reasons I purchased a Victory. THEY ARE TRYING HARDER than HD. I looked really hard at an HD Ultra Classic. I just bought a new 2013 CCT for $18,999 plus free 3 year warranty and $500 in free accessories (Victory promotions). That price is out the door (excluding tax, tags & title) and included a $1,000 police rebate from ma Vic. They are always running promotions for military, police and EMS. The dealer price was $19,999.

A new HD Ultra Classic with all the stuff I got would be in the upper $20's.

The up side to HD is their dealership network. The downside....no freebies and MSRP, plus you will want to upgrade various things right away.

Sit on a CC. You will NOT have to change the seat out. Very comfortable. Oh yes...they are also heated on the CCT. I have been using the heck out of that. It is still cold here and that has made a great deal of difference along with the heated grips.

Also, more storage space. I suggest you ride both the Victory and HD models you are interested in. I did. You will find the Victory handles better, sits lower (without having to install a lowering kit) and tracks perfectly.....very predictable ride and extremely well balanced.

The downside to Victory is the upside to Harley...the dealer network. One other thing I am still up in the air about is the paint. I haven't owned a new Harley to compare, but the Victory paint finish seems to be soft. I have read that this may be due to new environmental requirements regarding the use of oil based paints....the same reason I can't buy oil based deck waterproofing sealer at Home Depot any more. The old waterproofer would last for 5 yars....the new stuff (like Thompson's) says to reapply every 1-2 years. If that's the case, then it's the same deal with Harley.

Good luck with your decision. Have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Prior to buying my Victory I went into Harley to check them out and talked to a sales rep. This is how the conversation went:

Me: I'm looking at buying a couple year old (07 to 09) Victory or Harley but am very curious as to which bike is going to be more reliable.

Rep: If you want reliability then definitely go with Harley. When you go on long trips there are more dealers so if you break down you'll always find help right around the corner.

Me: Okay, what if I wanted a bike that wasn't going to break down?

Rep: Well with Harley you'll also get the respect that comes with it. No Victory riders stop to help each other when they break down but if you break down with a Harley there isn't a HOG member out there that won't stop to help.

Me (a little puzzled by the answers at this point but moving on): When you say respect I can't help but ask why being that Victory is made right here in MN?

Rep: Yeah but Harley has been around for over 100 years and with that comes 100 years of research and development. I'm sorry but I'll take 100 years of R and D over Victory's 10 years any day.

Me: Come on, that's a terrible argument. Dodge, Chevy and Ford had way more R and D on Honda in the car market but come the late 80's Honda kicked their ass with new technology. Not to mention the Shovelhead of the late 60's was possibly the worst motor ever made and it wasn't until the 80's that Harley really made a decent motor.

Rep: Yeah but the evolution was the best selling V-twin ever produced and Harley has only improved on it since then. It took them 100 years of practice to get it perfect but they are there. Victory still has 90 years to go.

Me: So you're trying to tell me that Polaris Industries only has 10 years of practice making motors? I swear the four wheeler I had growing up was a 1985 Polaris Trailboss. That would put them at having at least 25 years of experience making motors but I'm pretty sure it's closer to 55 years.

Rep: Yeah I mean they are okay bikes. If my wife decided she wanted a bike I'd probably get her a Victory. That's because she wouldn't ride that much though and I don't think I'd want to spend the money on a Harley. She's also a lot smaller than me and the Victory's are lighter.

Me: Well thank you for your time. I'm going to keep looking

I left the store absolutely amazed. His entire sales pitch on reliability was that the Harley's are going to break down but can be fixed. He never mentioned any true warranty numbers to show Harley's are actually more reliable or even as reliable as the Victory's. Then at the end of the conversation he literally told me that Victory makes a lighter bike that is more affordable to own. When I went into the store I was a little biased because I used to sell Victory bikes. However after leaving I bought a 07 Victory Vegas. Not sure if that helps you in your decision at all but if you want to have an entertaining afternoon go to a Harley dealer and ask the hard questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I should mention that I do have tremendous respect for Harley. They don't make bad bikes. Victory was probably the best thing that happened to them because it forced them to make some changes that will hopefully allow them to continue competing against not only Victory but the Yamaha, Honda, etc bikes that started becoming popular in the 90's. Competition is a good thing and my next bike may be a Harley, just not right now.

·
Registered
755 Posts
YOU should buy whatever YOU want. I don't waste time acting as a salesman for MaVic. Nothing personal but there are many good bikes out there. Our opinion of what YOU should buy should come into play;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was in the market for a bagger style bike. Looked at the Statoline deluxe-nice bike but it was only a 5 speed and wanted a 6 speed so that was out. Looked at the Kawasaki vaquero-nice bike but did not like the saddle bags(opened sideways) and I would of had to lower it some-the salesman did not know anything about being able to lower them-so that was out. Looked at the street glide-nice bike but I wanted something with a better ride,and more dependability. That led to the Vic cross country-It has pretty much what I was looking for. The dealer network does leave something to be desired in the least. And if you are looking for T-shirts-well good luck with that also.thumb up

·
Registered
131 Posts
Tell me why I should purchase a victory cc tour vs. HD?
Its about personal preference, everyone can say this bikes better than that one etc etc, but at the end its up to you, I have friends who wouldn't touch a Harley and go on about how they are the best bikes without ever trying a Victory, Honda or a Triumph etc etc.

When I was looking for my first bike I myself tried a 2010 HD Street Bob, a 2012 Dyna and a 2012 Honda Fury and I thought they were ok, didn't much like the position of the street Bob, the Dyna was fine and I thought the Fury although looked cool felt cheap...I got none of this with the 8 Ball and that's the bike Ive chosen.....so its up to you in the end.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Prior to buying my Victory I went into Harley to check them out and talked to a sales rep. This is how the conversation went:

Me: I'm looking at buying a couple year old (07 to 09) Victory or Harley but am very curious as to which bike is going to be more reliable.

Rep: If you want reliability then definitely go with Harley. When you go on long trips there are more dealers so if you break down you'll always find help right around the corner.

Me: Okay, what if I wanted a bike that wasn't going to break down?

Rep: Well with Harley you'll also get the respect that comes with it. No Victory riders stop to help each other when they break down but if you break down with a Harley there isn't a HOG member out there that won't stop to help.

Me (a little puzzled by the answers at this point but moving on): When you say respect I can't help but ask why being that Victory is made right here in MN?

Rep: Yeah but Harley has been around for over 100 years and with that comes 100 years of research and development. I'm sorry but I'll take 100 years of R and D over Victory's 10 years any day.

Me: Come on, that's a terrible argument. Dodge, Chevy and Ford had way more R and D on Honda in the car market but come the late 80's Honda kicked their ass with new technology. Not to mention the Shovelhead of the late 60's was possibly the worst motor ever made and it wasn't until the 80's that Harley really made a decent motor.

Rep: Yeah but the evolution was the best selling V-twin ever produced and Harley has only improved on it since then. It took them 100 years of practice to get it perfect but they are there. Victory still has 90 years to go.

Me: So you're trying to tell me that Polaris Industries only has 10 years of practice making motors? I swear the four wheeler I had growing up was a 1985 Polaris Trailboss. That would put them at having at least 25 years of experience making motors but I'm pretty sure it's closer to 55 years.

Rep: Yeah I mean they are okay bikes. If my wife decided she wanted a bike I'd probably get her a Victory. That's because she wouldn't ride that much though and I don't think I'd want to spend the money on a Harley. She's also a lot smaller than me and the Victory's are lighter.

Me: Well thank you for your time. I'm going to keep looking

I left the store absolutely amazed. His entire sales pitch on reliability was that the Harley's are going to break down but can be fixed. He never mentioned any true warranty numbers to show Harley's are actually more reliable or even as reliable as the Victory's. Then at the end of the conversation he literally told me that Victory makes a lighter bike that is more affordable to own. When I went into the store I was a little biased because I used to sell Victory bikes. However after leaving I bought a 07 Victory Vegas. Not sure if that helps you in your decision at all but if you want to have an entertaining afternoon go to a Harley dealer and ask the hard questions.
that conversation was frickin hilarious lol...would like to say though that Victory Motorcycles are actually built here in Iowa...Spirit Lake to be exact not MN

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Go look at the various forums that relate to both bikes. I am presently an HD owner looking into moving over to a Victory. I am a member of both HD forums and this and other Victory forums. You read that right, I own an HD called a shark by HD people or a model FLTRU or a Road Glide Ultra by those outside Harley. Who cares?
The point is simple. There is nothing at all magic about a Harley. My own experience may or may not be relevant but here we go, I have had my Harley into the dealer for warranty repairs about 4 or 5 times as often as I had it in there for routine 5000 miles services. I consider that record as totally unacceptable. You are free to form your own opinions about it. I have a bike, a Yamaha, that has over 4 years of routine use and has been in the shop exactly once for warranty work. I consider that a far better record than my Harley has. What I have been reading here is simple, most people do not have many warranty claims. If that reflects reality, I am going to suggest that HD be given a pass and Victory is your better choice for a new American bike. If the evidence here is somehow slanted, maybe that is not the case, but I have no way of knowing which picture is correct.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Harley has...
...no room for your feet (teeny-tiny footboards)
...no power (compared to Victory HD's are almost anemic)
...no modernism (buy a 1994 as it will look the same)
...no suspension (2-inches of travel vs. Victory's 4-inch)
...no reliability (see videos above for why the Vics are more reliable)
etc
I especially agree with buying a 94.. It'd probably run better also. Gimme a little 80 cube one cam evo over a TC any day.

I also spent years on hdforums.. Owned two. Miss the older one.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 25 Posts