Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

First post on this site so take it easy on me. I'm looking to join your Victory family but I hate over-priced and heavily marked up items as I'm sure you all do. I was wondering, what should I be shooting for or expect as far as a deal from the dealership?

10% off the bike, 30% off of Accessories, 25% off of gear? Does that sound reasonable or out to lunch?

I listed all the MSRP on bike accessories that I want then compared it to what web prices are. A next-to-fully loaded Victory Cross Country bike will have approx $10289 in additional accessories, however, if purchased through web retailers it would cost $8491. That's a 21% Mark Up right there! The average Mark Up was 39%! AND those web sellers are still making money off of that!

I'm looking at the Victory Cross Country and like it's gloss black and chrome look, however I don't like the front fairing look (too old for me) so I'm thinking of pursuing the Victory Cross Roads Classic which is 1K cheaper and comes with extra stuff off the bat like front and rear fender chrome, and chrome saddle bag rails. Then just purchasing the hard saddles and getting the bike painted black. I thought of going for the Cross Country, remove the front fairing, purchase the windshield, speedometer, headlight, front and rear fender chrome, chrome saddle bag rails but it comes out to $100 more and I would need to try and sell a dismantled fairing instead of two soft saddles and soft saddle chrome rails.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't know but this is why I only buy pre-owned motorcycles. Let the original owner take the hit!

I got my 2007 Kinpin tour last year for just over 1/3 of it's original MSRP and it had $1,500 worth of Victory accessories installed and was just getting broken in! cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd love to track down used but those that are selling them mostly seem to have been ridden hard with 50,000+ on them or have been in an accident.

As for leftovers, dealers don't really want to lift a finger in helping you find one. I'm getting the "New 2013's are hard enough to find! Here's a new one! You'll be lucky if you can even get 2013! You might need to even purchase it before it arrives"

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd love to track down used but those that are selling them mostly seem to have been ridden hard with 50,000+ on them or have been in an accident.

There is a nice black CR on this site low miles under $10000. he has been trying to sell since last fall all I remember at the moment is it is in northern IL if I find it I will post the link

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
The MSRP on my XCT was 22,599. My dealer, Shark Cycle, gave it to me for 20,599 - I asked them to include the 500-mile service and an oil change kit. Also, 10% off any Victory parts/accessories for life. They gave me a very fair trade-in on my GoldWing. They are a Victory-only dealer(not including other Polaris products)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
...hat should I be shooting for or expect as far as a deal from the dealership?

I listed all the MSRP on bike accessories that I want then compared it to what web prices are. A next-to-fully loaded Victory Cross Country bike will have approx $10289 in additional accessories, however, if purchased through web retailers it would cost $8491.
I don't think that $10K in "accessories" would even be POSSIBLE as there simply is not THAT much stuff available. To answer your question simply.. you can generally get "up to" 18% off the ENTIRE deal when done up front and at the right time of year (e.g. fall for the exiting year model bikes so look for a "left over" 2013 model around August). Most people get $1K or $2K off by simply using available incentives like the $1K for the demo ride & the military/police $1K discounts and then work from there so the majority probably get around a 10% discount off MSRP. As others pointed out, there are some KILLER deals on used bikes here in this forum.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Man, your list is way off and I don't know if it is a list for a XR or XC. First the Tri-Oval exhaust does not really have tips so the big mouth you have listed will not work. Next, so you really need a reverse kit? Do you really need higway pegs? I am over 6 feet tall and don't need them. The speedo upgrade only applies to XR's not XC's. Hard bags are standard on the XC and are an extra $250 on the regular XR's (not the XR Classic) not the $1150 price you have listed. You can get an HID bulb from a member here for about $50 instead of the $500 price tag you have. I just see you having 3 to 4 thousand in extras to buy and alot of that stuff like bike covers and audio is not what I would really consider in the price of a bike. The search function on here is your friend.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm thinking that you do realize that swapping front ends on the big electronically laden street rides is more of a chore than say swapping engines. Anyway you about talked yourself out of it over what you estimate is a 100 dollar delta. That 100 bucks doesn't even touch the misery of a nose swap but for whatever reason, moving right along.

If I'm buying a new bike and the dealer offers me 10% off MSRP, all he sees of my wallet is the bulge in the pocket on my way out the door. The conversation realistically starts at 20% and that is the START of the conversation. He don't want to talk, there's others that do.

Now to get this business to an understandable playing field for both the seller and me I spare us the ancillary crap. If there is a factory promo that lists specific discounts for stuff like parts and extended warranty and whatnot, no conversation necessary. It's a given. I'm not signing anything it isn't spelled out on but it's not a component of the deal anymore than the seller being sure I am paying in currency and not Monopoly money. If he brings parts and gear up in the middle of bike price negotiation, it's smoke and mirrors. If you bring it up, you are stepping on your own toes, but to each his own. Do not offer a trade, deny there is one even if there is. A salesman is in the business of... embellishment. Alls fair on both sides of the deal. All this futzing around parts and trade in value and crap dodges the point. Point is to get a bike sold. He wants the most of your cash he can get and you want to give the least. You get to that number by singlemindedness of purpose with no side deals muddying up the water. You want gear and parts and whatnot, you have a trade in? You can concoct some fib about the SO for making you trade in AFTER the bike price is finalized.There's dealers cutting each others throats on eBay and these forums and members sell stuff new and used at discounts and so forth. I am not going to let the cost of a set of pipes and a helmet screw up a deal on a machine. Deals on crap happen every day. Getting the right bike for the right money is work. Why make it harder?

Look, get the bike. All the bike junk is going to come together in due course. Or, buy your entire laundry list in one shot. Your bike, your call.
You might want to decide what the priority is, best value, instant gratification, checking off tick boxes on a list, whatever. They are not mutually inclusive concepts and you don't need to be second guessing your deals after they are done.

Get the bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, your list is way off and I don't know if it is a list for a XR or XC.
I'm actually glad to hear this! I was financially planning for Worst-Case-Scenario. This was all picked out from the Victory Accessories Manual and everything said that it would fit on a XR, except the Reverse Kit. I just don't want to leave walking bow-legged and wondering how it all added up so fast.

First the Tri-Oval exhaust does not really have tips so the big mouth you have listed will not work.
I didn't know this. Thank you for informing me. I thought you could, the books doesn't really saw how it all pieces together.

Next, so you really need a reverse kit?
I'm coming from a Motorcross world where I parked my dirt-bike 5 years ago and now I'm looking into big-boy bikes. I'm new to motorcycles and my GF's dad drives a Gold Wing and says that reverse is amazing and I should definitely try and get it. I just figured that at deal time, if I get a good discount, that would be the time to get it, not after when having to pay full price. I'm on the fence about it since I've never driven a 700 Lb road bike.

Do you really need higway pegs? I am over 6 feet tall and don't need them.
I plan on doing a lot of long Cross Country trips and living in Edmonton, AB, the first 3 hours in any direction are just boring straight flat roads.

The speedo upgrade only applies to XR's not XC's. Hard bags are standard on the XC and are an extra $250 on the regular XR's (not the XR Classic) not the $1150 price you have listed.
I'm looking for a XR... Specifically 2012 left over. Know of any in Canada? I didn't know that it was additional $250 for the regular XR's! Does that include changing the soft saddle rails to the hard saddle rails?

You can get an HID bulb from a member here for about $50 instead of the $500 price tag you have.
Cool, I'll definitely consider snooping around here. I just thought if you approached the dealer with everything you want to get the best %age off and once it's on the table you can pull things off like Reverse, HIDs, and all the little stuff...

I just see you having 3 to 4 thousand in extras to buy and alot of that stuff like bike covers and audio is not what I would really consider in the price of a bike. The search function on here is your friend.
A bike cover and comm system for me and the girl IS the cost of getting a motorcycle. Like I mentioned, if I get a discount, this is to time to just get it all, bend-over and accept it, then all I need to do is ride and enjoy the bike from here on in.

Btw, does the Comm System have an isolation feature for if I just want to listen to music and not the girlfriend? :rolleyes:

I'll post what I end up getting and final cost

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would sell the soft saddles and soft saddle rails for what I can get.[/QUOTE]

Just wandering if you saw the PM I sent you yesterday cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
CR

Here you go low miles hard bags and warranty kinda screws up what I wanted

2011 Victory Crossroads

I see the link doesnt work ad is in the Minneapolis craigslist

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I would definitely call around and find a 2012 or 2011 and if you want all the extras I would have the dealer give you the total price out the door.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wandering if you saw the PM I sent you yesterday cheers
Yes I did, I guess you didn't see the PM I sent you yesterday :p

Here you go low miles hard bags and warranty kinda screws up what I wanted

I would definitely call around and find a 2012 or 2011 and if you want all the extras I would have the dealer give you the total price out the door.
I'm bound to eventually be at the right place and the right time with the right amount of money.

I like the final price advice, just this morning I was getting a lot of "Plus Freight, Admin Fee, Tire Fee, OMVIC, Licensing, and Tax" :mad:

It was for a 2012 XR LE which he priced at a 2013 XR price (19.7). - Not off to a good start there. But I was told "It's probably the last one left available to buy!"

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
It was for a 2012 XR LE which he priced at a 2013 XR price (19.7). - Not off to a good start there. But I was told "It's probably the last one left available to buy!"
I got my 2012 XR LE (#258) just about a year ago. Local dealer did not have one, but found 3 in the neighboring states. Two of the three dealers would not part with theirs so my dealer drove about 5 hours away and picked mine up for me, at no extra cost.

I love my bike and don't regret it one bit.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I was looking at some of those prices scratching my head, and then noticed you're in Canada. I'm used to seeing those prices in US dollars lol.

At any rate, I kinda think the speedo unlock is sorta a useless thing. Another set of info, and if you like that sorta thing (fuel range, avg MPG, temp) well, power to ya. But I don't really think much of it myself.

Uh, I'm thinking the audio connections are 3.5mm stereo right? You should be able to pick up those cables at Walmart for a whole lot less. I could be wrong here and it could be some other connection (my audio system is an MP3 player and earbuds) for hooking the system up the bike or w/e, but I'd sure look it into it.

The $250 option for the hardbags, to my knowledge, does not include bag rails. As far as I know those aren't standard on the XR anyway.

I've never had a bike with reverse. I don't find this bike any harder to move around than my Vulcan 900 was. Just don't park facing down a hill and you'll be good to go!

But yeah, like Pop said, get the bike, and it'll all fall together. In fact, I recommend you get the bike and THEN decide what you REALLY want or need. I think a XR in stock trim will meet most anyone's needs as it is...and if it doesn't, you'll know exactly where you need to go.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts