Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the look of the new Boardwalk but after looking at the specs I have a few concerns. I notice that it only has a 3 inch travel on the rear suspension with a mono shock design. I do like to ride some distance occasionally and also with a passanger. Also with the width of the bars, how is the handleing on the highway?

Last bike was a 02 HD Fatboy. Didnt like the ride so got rid of it. Hoping the Victory will be a better bike.

Any input would be much appreciated.

- Ron

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I really like the look of the new Boardwalk but after looking at the specs I have a few concerns.
Go ride it back to back with a Cross bike. There is really no comparison, the Cross bikes are so much better. Their ride is far more plush, they steer easier, and there is a ton more ground clearance. On the plus side for the Boardwalk, it's lighter and has a hotter cam that makes it feel spunkier.

Anyway, by the time you add bags, additional lighting, crashbars, and a windscreen to the Boardwalk, you'll be paying more for that Boardwalk than you would for a Cross Roads LE that comes with all that stuff outta the crate.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Plus 1 on the XR LE, rode it at DemoDays (was like a kid in a candy shop and since I have an 04TC, I had to) and miles of improvments over the years. IF I ever sold my TC, I know I could fall back on a XR LE and be VERY happy having that classic look with modern engineering. We were just discussing on another thread "wind in the face" and I would think from the looks of it that shield is detachable... Im not sure but there would be an option (like we were just discussing SB) about having a bagger yet cruiser. Hmmm, lol... So for this weekend I have to advance my ATS to +6 and pull the shield on the TC.. LMAO! Forums.. geezzz Hope this helps Ron..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. I realize a bagger is definitely built more for the open road but im just not into the look of the bike as much a cruiser. I really love the look of the Boardwalk. I suppose I could always mod the suspension but hate to pay the price of the BW and then drop another grand into the suspension.

Guess ill have to take it for a ride and see whats up.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I realize a bagger is definitely built more for the open road but im just not into the look of the bike as much a cruiser. I really love the look of the Boardwalk. I suppose I could always mod the suspension but hate to pay the price of the BW and then drop another grand into the suspension.

Guess ill have to take it for a ride and see whats up.
The most informative thing you can do is ride it. Looks only go so far. I, too, like the looks of the BoardWalk, but I needed my storage :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Silly question, but does anyone on this forum actually own a Boardwalk? Im really looking for feedback from someone who owns one or had driven one for some time.

- Ron

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Ron,

I think they're all out riding....:D

I'm sure you'll get some candid info from Boardwalk owners real soon. As others have said, swing a leg over the XR or XC/T before or after you demo the BW. It can't hurt and its fun.

Welcome aboard and best of luck with your decision on a new Vic!

cheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I really like the look of the new Boardwalk but after looking at the specs I have a few concerns. I notice that it only has a 3 inch travel on the rear suspension with a mono shock design. I do like to ride some distance occasionally and also with a passanger. Also with the width of the bars, how is the handleing on the highway?

Last bike was a 02 HD Fatboy. Didnt like the ride so got rid of it. Hoping the Victory will be a better bike.

Any input would be much appreciated.

- Ron
Ron, I too love the look of the BW, I have not ridden one yet , but it is truly one gorgeous bike. The white looks fantastic!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Ron, I too love the look of the BW, I have not ridden one yet , but it is truly one gorgeous bike. The white looks fantastic!

I would also go for the white one. Looks sharp!

·
Registered
554 Posts
The XR or XC is a behemoth by comparison. If you don't want a full on barca lounger for a bagger then the BW is perfect. More power stock from the cruiser version of the 106. The BW ergos are really comfortable. The 3 inches of travel is the same as my Judge. Make sure you set the rear shock properly for your weight, preload is super important. Once set however my bike is as smooth as the XR I had. I don't like the floorboards but if you do then don't worry about it, the Vegas controls will swap right over if you prefer pegs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah the white version really caught my eye. It really is a beautiful bike. Im still leaning toward it over a bagger. I run my own business and really dont have a lot to time to take long trips so if the bike handles decent and has good power, it will most likely come home with me. Also in Florida the roads are very flat and smooth. No pot holes or frost heaves like up north so the suspension should do ok. Ill take one for a test ride tomorrow and post back.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Its kind of funny, the day I picked up my hammer I was signing my life away, I couldn't help looking at the BW and thinking, I might be making a mistake here... Even now when I swing by the dealer for something I still stop and look at the BW, I wish I were rich so I could have 1 of every model, and a huge garage to keep them in. at least I can dream...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Its kind of funny, the day I picked up my hammer I was signing my life away, I couldn't help looking at the BW and thinking, I might be making a mistake here... Even now when I swing by the dealer for something I still stop and look at the BW, I wish I were rich so I could have 1 of every model, and a huge garage to keep them in. at least I can dream...:rolleyes:
I just wish I had a garage to keep the one I have in! :D

But, I hear yah, its fun to dream what one could do with deep pockets.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I just wish I had a garage to keep the one I have in! :D

But, I hear yah, its fun to dream what one could do with deep pockets.
Me too ... I have a Victory cover for mine, and the mother-in-law's garage for the winter, thankfully!:crzy:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wilcon76, thanks for the tip in the pre-load. Ill be sure to look how to set that when I take a test ride tomorrow. I was doing some other research and noticed that several people have upgraded to a Progressive Suspension high performance mono shock. Also an option if needed.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
The XR or XC is a behemoth by comparison.
Their weight difference is 83 lbs. I always thought of a behemoth as something much larger. Oh and that's for a Cross bike with bags. Add bags to the Boardwalk and the differential is considerably less.

·
Registered
690 Posts
My Kingpin 8 Ball only has 3.9 inches of wheel travel, and rides reasonably well. Nothing compared to the Cross bikes, or vision, but it's not bad. And I'm sure the .9 inches of travel isn't THAT big of a difference.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
My Kingpin 8 Ball only has 3.9 inches of wheel travel, and rides reasonably well. Nothing compared to the Cross bikes, or vision, but it's not bad. And I'm sure the .9 inches of travel isn't THAT big of a difference.
I've ridden a KP and a Highball back to back. You wouldn't think so by the spec sheet, but there really is "THAT big of a difference."

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, so I went to the dealership and tried several bikes. What I can tell you is the BW is an awesome bike. Id like to put to rest a few things people mentioned might be an issue.

1. The wide bars do not effect handleing at high speeds. I took the bike up to 110 mph on the test ride. She was solid as a rock with no extra wind buffering ect.

2. the suspension with its shorter travel was no issue at all. I put my wife on the back who is 110 lbs and went over some bumpy areas with no issues. she was very comforatable in the bike.

3. The engine is a bit different. There are a hotter set of cams on the BW that are not on the other models. You notice the torque difference right away when testing the other models.

At the end of the long day of testing I gladly purchased the BW. This is an awesome bike that is definitely good for short touring as well as a perfect bike for the city. I did however add the swept pipes and bags as I wanted a better sound and also be able to carry some goddies with me.

When taking the bike for a test ride. I had two people roll down their windows at a traffic light and comment on the beauty of the bike.
The BW is simply a beauitful machine and I cant wait to get some miles on it.

If youre thinking about purchasing one, all I can say is try it out and be prepared to sigh your life away. Yes, its that good of a bike.

- Ron

1 - 20 of 28 Posts