Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd try a narrower tire on my 2007 Hammer because most of my riding is around the city/suburbs and twisty backroads. With the 250 dunlops I felt like I couldn't really throw the bike around like I'd like to. So I did a whole bunch of research and settled on the 240 Avon Cobra tire, as these seemed to be known for great handling.

Well...

They deliver in spades! I feel like I've got a whole new bike now. I'm carving corners like never before and weaving through traffic with control I never had on this bike. It's very nice, to say the least!

The downsides are that the bike does feel a bit more tippy at standstill. Not excessive, just something to get use to. I also understand that these tires will be toast after around 5000 miles if riden aggressively. For me that's around 2 years worth of riding, so no big deal.

Anyway, for anyone who wants better handling out of your Hammer, this is well worth a try.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Good on you mate ... I changed the Dunlop for a 260 Metzler and felt a 30% improvement in corners & wet roads ...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good on you mate ... I changed the Dunlop for a 260 Metzler and felt a 30% improvement in corners & wet roads ...
Good deal. That sounds right. When I was doing my "tire research" I found that pretty much everyone who swapped to a different tire liked it better than the stock dunlop, regardless of what brand the new tire was. I went with the Avons because people described them as sticking like glue, and I have to say that's the right way to put it. I can control the lean in mid turn without any vagueness or wobble, which definitely wasn't the case before. It's really pretty impressive. :grin

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If anyone cares, here are some pictures:

In the first picture, stock dunlop 250 on the left (with 7k miles!), new cobra 240 on the right. The other two pictures are with the new tire already on the bike. It makes the Hammer look like it lost some weight, lol!

I actually like the "leaner" look. It doesn't look like a sumo wrestler anymore. Now it looks more like a kickboxer! :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
If anyone cares, here are some pictures:

In the first picture, stock dunlop 250 on the left (with 7k miles!), new cobra 240 on the right. The other two pictures are with the new tire already on the bike. It makes the Hammer look like it lost some weight, lol!

I actually like the "leaner" look. It doesn't look like a sumo wrestler anymore. Now it looks more like a kickboxer! :p
Nice for posting pictures, I will look at them on the computer today ... Yes a lot of guys run narrower tires .... There was a thread about how narrow can you go in these rims ....

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Good deal. That sounds right. When I was doing my "tire research" I found that pretty much everyone who swapped to a different tire liked it better than the stock dunlop, regardless of what brand the new tire was. I went with the Avons because people described them as sticking like glue, and I have to say that's the right way to put it. I can control the lean in mid turn without any vagueness or wobble, which definitely wasn't the case before. It's really pretty impressive. :grin
Add to your post .... "Controlling the lean in mid turn"
On the dunlop trying to control the lean in mid turn i always felt the rear SLIDES coz the compound is much harder ....
I dislike German's but the Metz is great ..... Next time I'll try another tire .... Got the night dragon on the front ... Just glorious ...

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Jackpot Tire Size

Ok looked at your pictures on the computer, very COOL i like it ...

could you stated the exact tire fitment ? see below the exact tire fitment for jackpot ... so if people want new tires they could use this as reference ...

Rear
RIM = 18 x 8.5 in
STOCK TIRE = 250/40R18 Dunlop Elite 3
CURRENT TIRE = METZELER ME 880 MARATHON 260/40 VR 18 INCH

Front
RIM = 21 x 2.15 in
STOCK TIRE = 90/90 21 Dunlop Elite 3
CURRENT TIRE = Pirelli Night Dragon 21'' MH90-21 54H TL / 90/90 - 21 M / C 54H TL

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
Funny, guys with smaller back tyres want wider...and guys with fat tyres want smaller.
180 does me fine:smile

·
Registered
321 Posts
I prefer a bigger rear :) I'd love to go 300 but the cost of a single rim to do that is crazy.

It is my understanding that the 260 you have actually looks smaller than the E3? I've considered going with an Avon 250 this time also but read that it appears smaller also so I may just stick with the E3.

I love riding twisties and give my Hammer hell through them which is not what it is designed for and also why I am in the process of trying to purchase another sport bike. Then I can have a bad-ass attitude cruiser like the Hammer and when I feel the need to run some twisties I can take out the crotch rocket and do it.

Marius I'm glad to know there is at least some compromise thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
The 260 looks smaller then the 250 BUT if you like to ride twisties and give your hammer hell then you need to get rid of the dunlop ......

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk

I would love to have a 10.5 rim for a 300 tire .... But they do not sell the ANVIL rim in 10.5 inch ... And rims are really expensive ...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok looked at your pictures on the computer, very COOL i like it ...

could you stated the exact tire fitment ? see below the exact tire fitment for jackpot ... so if people want new tires they could use this as reference ...

Rear
RIM = 18 x 8.5 in
STOCK TIRE = 250/40R18 Dunlop Elite 3
CURRENT TIRE = METZELER ME 880 MARATHON 260/40 VR 18 INCH

Front
RIM = 21 x 2.15 in
STOCK TIRE = 90/90 21 Dunlop Elite 3
CURRENT TIRE = Pirelli Night Dragon 21'' MH90-21 54H TL / 90/90 - 21 M / C 54H TL

Sure thing.

Factory Spec tires for the Hammer are:
Front: 130/70VR-18
Rear: 250/40VR-18

I went with factory spec with the exception of the rear being a 240 instead of 250, so I got the 240/40VR-18.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love riding twisties and give my Hammer hell through them which is not what it is designed for.
Yeah, that's me right there. I find myself doing things on the Hammer that it probably wasn't meant to. I really enjoy the twisty stuff, sometimes at a very casual granpa pace and sometimes I get a wild hair up my arse, and really tear up those back roads. That is precisely why I love this bike. You can enjoy a reasonably comfortable cruise on this bike when you're in "that" mood, but when you get bored you can turn it into a wild ride in an instant. The new tires really improved the latter without sacrifice for the former, which really was my goal.

If I were doing nothing but bike nights, bar hopping or drag racing, there would be a 280 rear on that bike. So for me the current style of riding is what dictated the downsize. :wink

1 - 12 of 12 Posts