Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the local bike shops having sleds on the showroom floor I decided it was time to put the BW into storage for the winter season.
Filled the tank with non ethenol gas, put in 1 oz marine fule stablizer and rode the bike the 6 miles home from the gas station.
Removed the seats, saddle bags,back rest, battery, than tossed the cover over it.
Its parked in my barn on a cement floor, so no worries of it sinking into the ground in the spring thaw.

Next spring, I will charge the battery, put the drivers seat on it and ride it up to the local independit cycle shop and have fresh oil and filter installed.

In the mean time I still have the 1200 sporty to ride around for the next few weeks befor the snow starts to fly and the county shop covers the roads with salt.

·
Registered
784 Posts
What is this winter storage stuff you guys speak about. 88 here today.

If you have to store it, the consensus seems to be store it with fresh oil, it gets the contaminants out of the old stuff. not sitting with acidic particles, and will be ready to go in the spring.

Sorry for the loss of putting it up on the first day of fall.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Put it up so early. I'm glad I live in the south, I just got mine, plan on riding it all winter long (just as I did my previous bikes). I can't see storing it unless there's ice on the road.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What is this winter storage stuff you guys speak about. 88 here today.

If you have to store it, the consensus seems to be store it with fresh oil, it gets the contaminants out of the old stuff. not sitting with acidic particles, and will be ready to go in the spring.

Sorry for the loss of putting it up on the first day of fall.
Yep best put to bed with new oil..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have roughly 1700 miles on the bike, and oil was changed at the 500 mile mark, I see no reason to drain out the oil and put in new just to drain out the new oil and put in more new oil in the spring.
I belive thats is what is recomended in the manual, but with all the air cooled engines I have run in the pase 30 years I have never drained oil in the fall just to dump it again in the spring to get rid of any water condensation over the winter storage, change it in the spring and your good for 3 to 4000 miles or 3 months of mowing lawn depending on what motor your useing at the time.

The battery comes out and is stored in the house to prevent it from freazing and gets a tender charge every month for 24 hours, I do this with all my small motors that are battery start and some of these batterys are over 5 years old. Wet cell batterys seem to hold up better than the dry cell or jell batterys.

Now this is what I do and by no means an example of what any one else should do because I happen to do it.

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
The reason for fresh oil during hibernation is that used oil has corrosive and acid contamination as a byproduct of the combustion process. The interior of an engine is essentially getting an acid bath during the winter if new oil has not been installed. Very cheap insurance indeed. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Put it up so early. I'm glad I live in the south, I just got mine, plan on riding it all winter long (just as I did my previous bikes). I can't see storing it unless there's ice on the road.
Amen to that! When I see snow I'll park her. Till then, I'm riding. If I time it right she'll get an oil change in time for hibernation.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts