Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

94.54 rwhp and 110.75 rwtq

Mods are the Llloyds torque tubes, Slash exhaust, Lloydz timing wheel +4, PC5 with Autoune.

Cams are next!

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Nice I'm looking forward to my cams and Dyno tune!

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
94.75 rwhp and 110.4 rwtq

Mods are the Llloyds torque tubes, Slash exhaust, Lloydz timing wheel +4, PC5 with Autoune.

Cams are next!
Lets see a chart so we can see air/fuel and where the peaks came on.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've heard the timing wheel isn't very beneficial. What have u guys found with it? Being a long time drag racer of cars and engine builder I have found there is no v8 that doesn't benefit by advancing the cam. What about these v twins?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard the timing wheel isn't very beneficial. What have u guys found with it? Being a long time drag racer of cars and engine builder I have found there is no v8 that doesn't benefit by advancing the cam. What about these v twins?
I'm from the same world as you-never advanced a cam-only retarded them-especially on blower apps.

I literally gained nothing-at least nothing worth noting. I couldn't grab the drg files to post but I'll get a printout.

Only thing I noticed was less popping through the exhaust on coastdown and between shifts.

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
I have found there is no v8 that doesn't benefit by advancing the cam
Advancing the cam makes it build more low-end torque, while retarding the cam makes it build more high-end horsepower. Performance cams are designed to run 'straight up'. If there were an advantage to advance/retard it would have been incorporated into the grind from the outset. Usually, people advance or retard a cam to make an unsuitable cam more suitable for the application.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm from the same world as you-never advanced a cam-only retarded them-especially on blower apps.

I literally gained nothing-at least nothing worth noting. I couldn't grab the drg files to post but I'll get a printout.

Only thing I noticed was less popping through the exhaust on coastdown and between shifts.
I've built n/a and nitrous motors. Haven't built boosted engines.... yet. Lol. But to my understand with a cam specifically for ur boosted application on a v8 u would still benefit by advancing it a couple of degrees. Moves the curve and better peak power. The only time I tried retarding a cam was on a n/a 500 inch chrysler wedge and it ran like crap!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Advancing the cam makes it build more low-end torque, while retarding the cam makes it build more high-end horsepower. Performance cams are designed to run 'straight up'. If there were an advantage to advance/retard it would have been incorporated into the grind from the outset. Usually, people advance or retard a cam to make an unsuitable cam more suitable for the application.
I agree... somewhat. There hasn't been a motor i've built that didn't have a cam custom ground to my application. And anytime I have advanced the cam i've either seen gains on a dyno or better et's at the track. Granted... theres only so far u can go + or - before u can get in trouble or it starts to run like crap. I'm just expressing what i've found with v8's in a drag race application. Still learning about vtwins

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
From a side-by-side comparison, the Lloydz cams definitely have a (not sure the term that's used) wider profile, so they'd open sooner AND close later (granted I dunno if that was the intake or exhaust lobe I was looking at).. Even for a mild cam upgrade it was noticeable from a low-rez pic.

I'll be interested to see what Kyle has in store with his recommended mod he quoted me (VM1-DR cams, timing wheel, Lloydz filter). Very curious how we'll end up with the timing. I imagine he's got the combination memorized from experience.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Retarding the cam wouldn't help us for sure unless the rev limiter is bumped.

It is what it is-there is an all bike day coming up at one of the local tracks.

I think I'm gonna try getting this thing down the track-it will probably be slow cause this is my first bike ever-never riden a bike till now!

I'm thinking with a skilled rider it should run 11.9'[email protected] me, I'll be happy to run mid 12's.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've yet to take mine to the track. I'm sure one day it will wind up there for a shake down pass. Definitely keep us posted. Mine is similar except I have the cams too. It will be interesting what it runs

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
the timing wheel advances ignition timing not cam timing. i gained noticeable response with mine, and from 4 degrees to 8 degrees was 2hp 3ftlbs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the graph, run 9 was with the timing wheel and autotune.

Is this on par with the mods? The bike has just a hair over 900 km on it.

cheers

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Very flat torque nice wish mine was like that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You'll like lloydz cams. Your power band will be larger.... not to mention you'll make more power

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
There hasn't been a motor i've built that didn't have a cam custom ground to my application. And anytime I have advanced the cam i've either seen gains on a dyno or better et's at the track.
That's pretty much what I said. If you have a cam custom ground for the application it should run best 'straight up'. If you have to advance/retard the custom ground cam... maybe the grind wasn't exactly right for the application.

Again, advancing the cam will move the graph to the left... make it act like a milder cam.
Retarding the cam will move the graph to the right... make it act like a more aggressive cam.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
That's pretty much what I said. If you have a cam custom ground for the application it should run best 'straight up'. If you have to advance/retard the custom ground cam... maybe the grind wasn't exactly right for the application.

Again, advancing the cam will move the graph to the left... make it act like a milder cam.
Retarding the cam will move the graph to the right... make it act like a more aggressive cam.
Ok.. School pad and pencil out. Question:

So the term used typically on the Adj Timing Wheel is to "Advance the timing" typically some +2, +4, +6 amount.

Does advancing the timing on the wheel mean retarding the cam or advancing the cam?

..If I hadda guess, I'd guess retarding the cam. Did I win? cheers

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ok.. School pad and pencil out. Question:

So the term used typically on the Adj Timing Wheel is to "Advance the timing" typically some +2, +4, +6 amount.

Does advancing the timing on the wheel mean retarding the cam or advancing the cam?

..If I hadda guess, I'd guess retarding the cam. Did I win? cheers
Somebody in another thread was saying that it advances or retards ignition timing. I think this is wrong... but who knows, I might be wrong. Doesn't make sense to me that would be mounted to the cam pullies if it couldn't change cam timing. U can adjust ignition timing with a tuner

·
Registered
108 Posts
If u advance cam timing... it advances it... if u retard cam timing... it retards it. Lmao

1 - 20 of 28 Posts