Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something NOT addressed concerning tire use mileage is when do you replace it? I typically get 10K -/+ miles per rear R tire but then I REPLACE When it is 2 or 3/16ths left - when the wear bars are showing. I have seen many times where people actually are riding BALD tires and have seen more than a few scary ones with steel cord showing. Tires in this condition concern me as when I ride with someone I am taking some responsibility being out on the road with them. It is an unspoken bond.

So those that brag of 17 or 20+K miles on rear tires.... when are you deciding to replace them? I have been riding 47 years on multiple MC brands and brands of tires - I check pressure weekly and whenever I carry a passenger and run near the max recommended psi and I still cannot get more than 10ish K on a cruiser tire. Hoping for more with my current set of bias ply American elites that come with when new rear tread depth 11/32's. I see these kind of tires all the time..

Attachments

·
13,003 Posts
Look for a touring tire. General they last longer and say away from the sport tires they have a short life

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I got about 1,500 miles out of a Michelin Commander II - I put a huge bolt right through it at Americade 2016.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I get 10-12k. Once I get to the bar I'll ride it a bit more but change them soon after.

·
Registered
701 Posts
20K on my Commander II's. Still had 1/8' left.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tire

Stock Dunlop I put on 18,000 KMS replace it with Avon Cobra and put 13,000 KMS and have another Cobra. Going to install it Saturday.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got about 1,500 miles out of a Michelin Commander II - I put a huge bolt right through it at Americade 2016.
I feel your pain. I got a long roofing nail between the treads of my brand NEW rear American Elite with less than 75 miles on it. Luckily I discovered it while inspecting tire in my garage. I used my trusty "Stop and Go" tire plug kit. Then I called Dunlop and they said since it was bias ply and not steel belted it was OK to plug it. Has about 7,000 miles on it now. No muss no fuss. Will be replacing tire soon.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I feel your pain. I got a long roofing nail between the treads of my brand NEW rear American Elite with less than 75 miles on it. Luckily I discovered it while inspecting tire in my garage. I used my trusty "Stop and Go" tire plug kit. Then I called Dunlop and they said since it was bias ply and not steel belted it was OK to plug it. Has about 7,000 miles on it now. No muss no fuss. Will be replacing tire soon.

Gotta love those plug kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Gotta love those plug kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I use a mushroom kinda plug, it works good , only you ned a bugger hole to pull it trough, but that is not a problem coz there is a hole already ... Rubber tire & rubber plug ... Sounds like a winner ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Had a brand new tire on my Venture. Maybe 1000-1500 on it. Same thing, felt go soft. I was 20 miles from nowhere. There happened to be a work shop there and the fellows allowed me to use the compressor. I had a plug kit but man the angle and size was ugly. I got it repaired enough to get home. Dismounted tire and with closer inspection I just was not comfortable with even a patch repair. Just to close to sidewall and was close to 3/4" long or more. Just killed me to toss that tire out.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
My rule of thumb? When the wear bars start showing.

I only have 6k total miles on my XC, all on stock tires, so I'll have to see how far they go. I have had pretty good luck with tires on my Honda Shadow, where I have ran a pair of Shinko 777s, followed by a set of Avon Roadriders.. I put about 12k on the rear Shinko and almost 18k on the front.

I got about 10k on both Avons, which, in my opinion, is one of the best tires out there. So when it's time to replace the tires on the XC, I'll probably go with those.

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
This is a very subjective question. Tire mileage depends on many factors; brand, model, riding style, load, air, pavement (ask MBX about this one), temperatures and more. Because of this, I have gotten up to 22,000 miles and as low as 13,000. I average 17 - 19K miles on a rear.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
This is a very subjective question. Tire mileage depends on many factors; brand, model, riding style, load, air, pavement (ask MBX about this one), temperatures and more. Because of this, I have gotten up to 22,000 miles and as low as 13,000. I average 17 - 19K miles on a rear.
On my jackpot average 8000 kilometers only ... Smile

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
367 Posts
Both
Dulops E 3,s I got 30000 kilometres or 18,000 miles. Now have e 4,s

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For those that don't know about this great gun tire plug kit..

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts