Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about grips on late-model Vics, especially X models. I'd like to replace the OEM grips with something a little more custom and was wondering what fits. Is Victory's grip size proprietary so that I can only buy from the mothership or can I use "metric" grips from somebody else?

I want to put some SAC braided-leather grips on my bike but I know that if I was to use grips made for HD that I'd have to modify the switch housings a bit to get them to fit. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Anything for 1" handlebars should work but you may have to tweek the throttle tube a little to get it to work smoothly in the housing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Anything for 1" handlebars should work but you may have to tweek the throttle tube a little to get it to work smoothly in the housing.
Are you saying that the grips do not come off the throttle sleeve.
Took mine off with WD40 then you could use the universal fit grips, just measure the length and match.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I'm sure the originals could be taken off but what do you do about the left grip? I sliced mine and pulled it off; there was no sleeve to slip a new grip over.

·
Premium Member
13,152 Posts
The left one is the easy one. Just take a small screwdriver and get it between the grip and bars, spray some carb cleaner in there quickly all around, take your compressor nozzle and spray air into the other end and slip it right off.

to explain the compressed air trick.

to show how to put carb cleaner or whatever is available under the grip.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have a question about grips on late-model Vics, especially X models. I'd like to replace the OEM grips with something a little more custom and was wondering what fits. Is Victory's grip size proprietary so that I can only buy from the mothership or can I use "metric" grips from somebody else?

I want to put some SAC braided-leather grips on my bike but I know that if I was to use grips made for HD that I'd have to modify the switch housings a bit to get them to fit. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Any suggestions?
If you use Hardly Dangerous grips your bike might start to leak oil.....LOL Yes there are a few companies that put out grips to fit the Victory's...:ltr:

·
Registered
528 Posts
WD40 will do the same thing. The left side grip isn't suppose to have anything there. that's why when you get kuryakyn grips or any other manufacture the left side is only 1inch as where the right side is larger to accommodate the throttle sleeve.
Any 1 inch grip will work as long as the length works. You only need to get the grip without the sleeve.

you can see the difference with these.

·
Premium Member
13,152 Posts
Actually; if you grind the locating pins out of the perch housings you can use whatever length grips you want and position them any way you want.

I understand some folks don't like to make those kind of mods though. Heck; if you grind off those pins you can use any 1" bars that'll fit.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Actually; if you grind the locating pins out of the perch housings you can use whatever length grips you want and position them any way you want.

I understand some folks don't like to make those kind of mods though. Heck; if you grind off those pins you can use any 1" bars that'll fit.
Personally I prefer keeping the lock hole. Drilling a new hole is easy enough. But will you have enough clearance for the bend?

You can go to a good bike shop that carries kuryakyn grips and get measurements. The kury grips comes with a extension that connects to the end for longer grips. They are easily made using just about anything that is the same diameter and taping. The tape only holds it in place until ya glue the grips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts