Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I had a custom exhaust installed by a dealer and sadly as I was washing my 8ball, I accidentally dropped it and got a couple scratches in my lower pipe. I took the lower pipe off myself to send it off to get re-coated and when I tried to take off the o2 sensor I noticed that it was almost impossible to remove. I finally got it off, but the idiots at the dealership that installed it completely cross threaded the o2 sensor! I contacted them and they told me they would replace it but I'm doing the installation myself this time. So my question is the following. Do I have to use a lock tight or some type of teflon tape when installing the 02 sensor? Am I supposed to use a lock tight with the exhaust nuts? Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
NewVic - What you want to use on O2 sensor threads is called ANTI-SEIZE. Use a very small amount or the excess will melt and drip.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes the O2's can be rethreaded. The sensors have softer metal than the bung thus stripping the sensor first.
Seems like every 4th or 5th sensor I remove is stripped, I think because no one (even the factory) is cleaning out the threads with a tap.
So tap it and use never-seize, should be fine.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Vicbuilder - I have had to chase many female threads on my XR, the first being the ones for the bolts that secure the saddle. When first attempting to remove them, I thought I was going to shear them for all the torque I had to apply. After chasing them, the bolts turn easily. Ditto for many other female threads. Either the factory uses worn taps or they come under-sized. Advice to Vic owners...have a set of metric taps and dies on hand.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Vicbuilder - I have had to chase many female threads on my XR, the first being the ones for the bolts that secure the saddle. When first attempting to remove them, I thought I was going to shear them for all the torque I had to apply. After chasing them, the bolts turn easily. Ditto for many other female threads. Either the factory uses worn taps or they come under-sized. Advice to Vic owners...have a set of metric taps and dies on hand.
I'm finding the same thing on my 11 Hammer 2 out of the 3 bolts that held my gas tank on had bad threads. Seems like they either cross threaded them asssembling the bike with an air tool or there was weld spatter in the threads and they forced the screws in with an air tool. I was amazed they actually came out without snapping. A little disappionting because I bought a Vic based on thier quality

1 - 7 of 7 Posts