Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
planning on jumping the border and heading south the first weekend in august. what's the general rule of thumb in regards to how far you can go over the speed limit before a cop gives you a ticket? in canada it's 10km over, what is it in the states? please, no smart ass responses..... my wallet depends on it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Probably varies widely for different areas, how busy the police are, if it's near any popular events, time of day, the mood of the officer, etc..

Around here traffic flow is generally 5mph over on interstate (70mph limit 'round here) I feel confident 'till about 77-78, then it's all up in the air.

Never gotten a speeding ticket on interstate though so I may not be qualified to answer this.

90 miles west of me, near Detroit, you may cause an accident if you're traveling under 80mph, lol.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Around me as long as you are in the flow you should be safe. I try to keep a few mph above anyone behind me to avoid getting run over if I need to change speed or lanes suddenly. Some days I can do that at the posted speed, others it is 15 over. Keep around the limit and keep the wallet happy.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
If you stay at 7 mph over it is highly unlikely anyone will bother you. If you get to 10 over getting stopped is more probable... at 15 over they will stop what they're doing and come after you.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
We're heading south the same week into PA from Ontario , I was wondering the same thing. On the highways here 20 over is acceptable but 10 over in town is a stretch. Good to know...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Here in Cali the freeways that aren't clogged are usually moving at 10-15mph over the limit. On the I15 out to Las Vegas people routinely cruise at 90+. However, on the smaller highways (US395, CA2, CA138, etc.) the CHP are pretty tight on enforcing speed- but you still get a 10mph cushion. Funny thing is the CHP public relations office always issues a big press release when they're going to crack down on speeding on certain roads or in certain regions so drivers slow down. They've always seemed more concerned with seatbelt/helmet use and erratic driving than with speeding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stay with the flow of traffic and you'll be fine. Legally speaking anything 10 miles an hour or over is mandatory ticket. Anything up to 10 mph over is @ officer's discretion.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
At 9 mph over a ticket is unlikely. at 15 it is very likely.
Best answer in my experience with traveling and local as well .. Several LEO's I know set their Radar at 12MPH over .. Have rode all day through 3 States with Cruise Set at 78 in a 70 and No Worries .. When Passing may kick it up to 85 to get er done but then settle back down when clear of the traffic ..

·
Administrator
5,971 Posts
What others suggested, however, I must share that once upon a time, passing through Texas, I was awarded a speeding ticket for exactly 9 miles over the speed limit, in a 70 mph zone. Maybe my out-of-state plate motivated the officer knowing I was likely just passing through and I would not show up to court to dispute the ticket. That being said, I regularly cruise 10 mph over the limit on California highways and have never been pulled over.

·
Registered
790 Posts
In Florida, be more careful. I personally got one once for 4 over believe it or not, and it was a pouring rain day, but it was a long time ago. Figure the cop was way behind on ticket writing. Heck, GA is more lenient, and they use to be the toughest.

http://bydianedaniel.wordpress.com/2009/02/09/the-worst-speed-traps-theyre-in-florida/

I think it all comes down to traffic around you and whether or not you are on high speed roads. Higher the speed road the safer going more over. I wouldn't try 10 in a city or neighborhood!

Careful though, your speedo may be inaccurate!

·
Registered
100 Posts
What others suggested, however, I must share that once upon a time, passing through Texas, I was awarded a speeding ticket for exactly 9 miles over the speed limit, in a 70 mph zone. Maybe my out-of-state plate motivated the officer knowing I was likely just passing through and I would not show up to court to dispute the ticket. That being said, I regularly cruise 10 mph over the limit on California highways and have never been pulled over.
Funny you say that, I live in the Dallas, TX area and I *usually* am doing 5 to 10mph over the limit but I'm also usually in the flow of traffic.

In the busier highway areas (60mph limit) everyone is usually doing about 10 over. In the areas where there is less highway traffic (70 & 75 mph limits) usually 5 over. Its also not uncommon to see police vehicles traveling at 5 or so over the limit while just patrolling, though every now and then you get that one cop who likes to do 5 under just to mess with people.

·
Administrator
5,971 Posts
Funny you say that, I live in the Dallas, TX area and I *usually* am doing 5 to 10mph over the limit but I'm also usually in the flow of traffic.

In the busier highway areas (60mph limit) everyone is usually doing about 10 over. In the areas where there is less highway traffic (70 & 75 mph limits) usually 5 over. Its also not uncommon to see police vehicles traveling at 5 or so over the limit while just patrolling, though every now and then you get that one cop who likes to do 5 under just to mess with people.
Yes, that was my scenario there. Cop was doing about 5-7 over the limit in the slow lane, and I was doing 9 over in the passing lane as I slowly moved past him. He was in an unmarked car, and apparently I pissed him off passing him. There were no other vehicles in sight, just the two of us. By the way, this was about 15 years ago - In my book it was ridiculous enough to still remember it. cheers

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, that was my scenario there. Cop was doing about 5-7 over the limit in the slow lane, and I was doing 9 over in the passing lane as I slowly moved past him. He was in an unmarked car, and apparently I pissed him off passing him. There were no other vehicles in sight, just the two of us. By the way, this was about 15 years ago - In my book it was ridiculous enough to still remember it. cheers
I've had similar encounters, I guess it depends on the officer's mood.

My favorite stop was on Hwy 75 here in Dallas, it was about 9pm and I was heading home from work. It was a Friday night so it was kind of busy. I was irritated and just wanted to get home but kept getting stuck behind the sheeple. A police cruiser (standard issue, not unmarked) got on the highway in front of me and then proceeded to accelerate to about 95mph (limit was 60). He didn't turn on his lights, and no siren but everyone was moving out of his way. I decided to tuck in behind and ride the wave. In less than 5 miles I have another cruiser come in behind me and hit the lights. I pull over and he asks what I thought I was doing. I told him that if the officer could do 95mph in a non-emergency situation I should be able to as well. The officer stated my thought process was flawed and that maybe the officer was headed to a scene. Me being annoyed at this point asked if that was the case, the officer just stared at me and refused to answer. He gave me a warning and let me go but warned me that next time I might not get so lucky.

Oh and 15 years ago, I was just getting my driver's license.

·
Registered
781 Posts
All this sounds about right. 5-9 over on hwys will rarely result in a ticket. I could be wrong, but it's been my observation that there is often more leeway in heavier traffic- i.e. they probably won't pick you out of a group all doing 9+ over.

The only weird exception I can recall is on I 81 in Virginia- they have these stupid "highway safety corridors" Just another pickpocketing scheme- but at any rate- They have on 2 occasions (that I know of) set up these "saturation patrols" where they were issuing tickets for even 1 or 2 miles per hour over. Not a rumor- I was in the middle of it. I watched a guy right behind me get pulled. No way he was doing even 3 over as he was s l o w l y catching up to me with my speedo registering 65 on the button. A total crock.

Small towns along stretches of minor highways (55 before and after the town) will sometimes have a punk-ass writing people up for miniscule amounts over as well. Advise you just stay at the limit when approaching towns.

·
13,172 Posts
make sure you bring your passport. you better even look into see if your D L is good down here.

Yes po po me but you never know now days what was good for last year might not be good for this year

·
Registered
636 Posts
Medicine Hat PD must be hard up for budget cash. Calgary won't write you unless you are 15 kph and higher. Personal experience at Christmas and I passed several State Troopers/ DPS set up in the medians of interstate 15 and various other highways. I wasn't towing anything and I always travelled 5 - 10 miles an hour over the limit. Having said that, Utahs 80 mph limit is plenty fast enough for me so I didn't play around with that too much.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So really it's a crap shoot.
If your speedo clocks nine over where are you really? 6 or 7 over maybe. If the agent has radar you will likely walk. Why break down or call in the wolf pack over 6 or 7.
OTOH I have gotten locked up and the bike put on the hook for loud pipes and bad paper by cops who said stuff like "Know what we call you girls at the station. We don't call you bikers. We call you chickens." That particular time the bike was a bone stock restored Sport Glide. The bike was lean and clean and the constable had nothing, that is except a bone stuck in his craw.

If I was driving with out of state plates on an interstate I guess I would lock it in about nine over. As soon as I hit that ramp though, five over tops and if it's residential, posted speed and not a bit over.
I would be more concerned about my out of state plates than I would it being a bike or my speed being way out of line. Doesn't matter what color your money is when it's time to slap a new coat of paint on the calaboose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts