Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about the comfort factor of the stock seats. I have the sale of my Honda VTX pending and i am looking hard at the XC and XR. The seat on the VTX was a must do upgrade for me as is the case of most Honda cruiser riders. Is the stock Victory seat a must do upgrade or do most of you find it adequate. Thank you.

Rick T

·
Registered
381 Posts
Seat

I have a 2011 XC & love the bike but found that pullback bars are a must upgrade. As far as the seat, I get sore after 45 minutes of riding. On my old bike, a Suzi Boulevard, I went with a Mustang seat & found it worked great but they don't make one for the Vic. I went with an Airhawk seat cushion & find that it has greatly improved comfort. Can't go wrong for the price. Just don't get the XL size, but stick with large.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
The Cross bikes seat was custom made for my butt. Either that, either I'm not as big a princess as some of our members, like jokerman. :)

jokerman: Sorry for the blow below the belt. :eek:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
30 minutes on my V-Star before I cut down the seat was like being prison raped. After I cut a few inches of foam out I could go an hour before I had to take a break. On my XR I put a little over 500 miles on in the first weekend; 150 runs no stop and I felt no pain. After getting about 1000 miles on the seat it feels like it was custom formed for my arse. My wife feels the same about the passenger seat. My longest non stop ride so far was 4.5 hours; I didn't stop to take a break -- I stopped to fuel up.

For me this kind of comfort is crucial; I have 3 fused vertibrae in my neck and 4 disks in my lumbar that have a total of 6 tears and 4 buldges. Take my word; if I say a seat is comfortable then a seat is truly comfortable.

Victory put a lot of effort and testing into building the Cross bikes. They were able to work in seat comfort because they had to be happy with it too. Victory is not mass produced like Japanese bikes or HDs; in order to prove they have a better product they had to build a better product.

Keep in mind that in order to get the bike to feel like it was made for you you're going to have to play around a little with the rear shock. It is air adjustable so you'll have to ride a little, adjust a little, and ride a little more until you find a pressure that gives good ride and good comfort.

·
Registered
243 Posts
to me its a great seat w/out the back rest, no so much with the back rest. I"ve done everything possible trying to get the back rest to fit right for me. No matter what I do, just not a good fit. So now I ride w/out the back rest and the seat fits fine. .
Unless you're over 6 feet don't let it leave the dealership w/out the +2 bars and lowers.
I had a vtx as well. There is no comparison in the 2 bikes. I hardly ever got over 60 on the X and now I have a hard time keeping this bike under 80. Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Rking,
I have been thinking about getting the drivers backrest and haven't heard anything but good reviews. What about it makes it uncomfortable to you? I'm 6'1" and mostly torso (built like Fred Flintstone - all torso and no legs) and it looks like it would fit well. Would you consider parting with the backrest and mount?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Rking,
I have been thinking about getting the drivers backrest and haven't heard anything but good reviews. What about it makes it uncomfortable to you? I'm 6'1" and mostly torso (built like Fred Flintstone - all torso and no legs) and it looks like it would fit well. Would you consider parting with the backrest and mount?
I'm not sure why it doesn't fit me. I'm beginning to think its just my particular body type. When ever I use the back rest it pushes me forward to the point that I feel as if i'm sitting on the tank. I can ride w/out the back rest for hours at the time, but have to get off the bike after 30 min with it on. I've don'e all the adjustments that I can do to make it fit me......to no avail. At this point I'm thinking about custom fitting it to me for a better fit. AS far as selling the back rest, I can tell you more next week. Am supposte to be talking to the person who can tell me if he can modify the back rest to fit me better.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
As a long time touring rider (59 years and 100s of thousands of miles) I have never felt the need of a back rest. If all the ergos are correct, one can put on 700 mile days with no problems. If the saddle ain't right, have it customized by an experienced outfit that does it with you and the bike right there. None of this mail order stuff. You'll have a seat that fits your butt like a tailored glove and your posture will be correct. No need to spend $$ on pull back bars, either.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I feel that the stock seat is great. I am just under 6'3" so the pull back bars are not needed but I would imagine that if you can get your seating position right you will find the stock seat very comfy. Just as RICZ said if you need work done on it find someone who will put you on the bike and take your riding position in to consideration. I did this on my warrior and will never buy another mass produced after market saddle.

·
Registered
381 Posts
backrest

I'm not sure why it doesn't fit me. I'm beginning to think its just my particular body type. When ever I use the back rest it pushes me forward to the point that I feel as if i'm sitting on the tank. I can ride w/out the back rest for hours at the time, but have to get off the bike after 30 min with it on. I've don'e all the adjustments that I can do to make it fit me......to no avail. At this point I'm thinking about custom fitting it to me for a better fit. AS far as selling the back rest, I can tell you more next week. Am supposte to be talking to the person who can tell me if he can modify the back rest to fit me better.
I too did not care for the ergonomics of the Vic backrest. However, when I had the 2 1/4" pullbacks installed, the dealer reversed the backrest bar so the angle matched my spine & whala - know it feels fine.cheersthumb up

·
Registered
528 Posts
Stock seat is good for me and the wife. I like the back rest but it took a while to get it adjusted. The Mustang back rest fits me better and feels better to me. Yes it will fit. the +2 bars for me were a must have.

·
Registered
381 Posts
what butt?

The Cross bikes seat was custom made for my butt. Either that, either I'm not as big a princess as some of our members, like jokerman. :)

jokerman: Sorry for the blow below the belt. :eek:
Crossroads: Nice to see you are on top of things like the Jokerman! Actually, my problem is that I am 6'/230 but don't have a butt so when I sit on the wrong kind of seat, the "butt bones" get sore after a while. If only I could transplant my middle aged beer belly over to my behind :ltr: Only problem is, I might need to get a taller windshield!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I had a VTX1800 and absolutely had to upgrade to the Ultimate X seats; Honda's stock seat was miserable on any long ride. The XC's seat is light years better than Honda's. It took a few rides for my wife to get used to the XC's passenger section of the seat but we've now ridden several long rides (300+ miles) and she doesn't complain. Of course, that could be due to her falling asleep (smooth ride and factory trunk). :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
The OEM seat on my Vegas wasn't great for long rides nor was the wife's VTX so being low budget we made some home-made 2" thick foam rubber cushions in some vinyl coverings she sewed up to help with our long trip to Sturgis last summer. Then I ended up trading my Vegas for an XC two weeks before Sturgis. I took my foam cushion with but never found the need to use it the whole trip (1400 miles total). Some other Ladies riding second up on their Ol' Man's Harley's found it quite usefull though. I'm 5' 6" and the pullback bars would help me but not necessary. I find the angle of the grips more annoying than the reach as I prefer my hands angled down more instead of so flat to ease the pressure on my shoulders. Cross seats are good.thumb up :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Stock seat is good for me and the wife. I like the back rest but it took a while to get it adjusted. The Mustang back rest fits me better and feels better to me. Yes it will fit. the +2 bars for me were a must have.
I"m with you on the Mustang back rest fitting me bettter than the Vic. Have been hoping that Mustang will make a seat for the C.C.
BTW, are you still planning of having a get together for the VTX crew?

·
Registered
243 Posts
like the others that allready post here, it pretty much depends on your hight, and weight, i personally loved the stock seat on the cross roads, im 5" 11" 175 lbs
would it suffice for 300 - 500 miles ? this is something you will have to decide for yourself, I rode my Vegas up to northern Calif, to have a seat made by Corbin, apx. 500 miles. on the stock seat , tolerable but not comfortable, Corbins take breaking in, now that the Corbin is broken inj with the back rest I can ride 600 - 700 miles and just do gas stops , this is not the way i normally travel, but all is good.

steve

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had a VTX1800 and absolutely had to upgrade to the Ultimate X seats; Honda's stock seat was miserable on any long ride. The XC's seat is light years better than Honda's. It took a few rides for my wife to get used to the XC's passenger section of the seat but we've now ridden several long rides (300+ miles) and she doesn't complain. Of course, that could be due to her falling asleep (smooth ride and factory trunk). :)
I'm very much with Jagular. I had a VTX C and the Ultimate was the best money spent on that bike. I liked it but it absolutely needed a seat upgrade. If you spent any time on the VTX forums you may have heard of BadX. He did the Gel foam upgrade to VTX's. Heard he has been doing a few Vic seats now too. Maybe you can look him up. I'm going to give the stock a fair shot first but will keep Badx in the back of my mind.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My seat took some time to break in to my arse. I have about 1200 mi on her now and it is quite comfortable. I've had Mustangs before and they also took some time to get comfortable, I think the stock seat will be fine for me. I was at Daytona last week, according to a guy at the Mustang booth the company has no plans to make a seat for the Cross Country or the Cross Roads. Nor will they be making one for the Vision.

I think I will go with the backrest. Some seem to like the Utopia with the smaller pad better than Vics. My back is pretty toast so no matter what I ride it makes it better. Years ago I bought a backrest for my Nomad and hated it till I forced myself to get used to it, then it was great. I think alot of this is a adjustment from our last bike and it takes time.

·
Registered
289 Posts
howdy

for me there is no comparison between the stock VTX seat and the XC...the stock VTX killed my back after about an hour...and so i put a mustang on...the XC is perfect as is - 8-10 hours noooo problem

1 - 20 of 20 Posts