Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Probably a rookie question but how worried should I be about water getting into the spark plug ports when I'm washing it or riding in rain/snow?

Thanks!

2015 Vegas 8 Ball

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don't worry about it too much. Just don't hold a pressure washer on the ports when you wash and you should be just fine.

Don't use a pressure washer on the bike at all actually.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured but wanted to throw it out there to those with more experience than myself. I ride the hell out of my bike and so have been caught in a few healthy storms and do my best with it's seemingly continual state of needing to be washed.

I've never taken a pressure washer to it (or any of my vehicles for that matter) and never will.

Thanks!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hello,

Probably a rookie question but how worried should I be about water getting into the spark plug ports when I'm washing it or riding in rain/snow?

Thanks!

2015 Vegas 8 Ball
Are you a Victory engineer and questioning your work? :ltr::ltr:

Stay away from power washers, Vic's seem to have some allergies to high pressure water, or riding in rain for some. Nothing that can't be overcome though.

Enjoy your ride, and welcome to the mayhem.

cheers

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I wash by hand, mostly just to get the bugs off, then use a leaf blower to dry it, it takes all the water out of the hard to reach areas.
Pretty much the same thing I do...:)

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Mine gets washed when it rains.....and
A quick spray with 'Bowdens Own' detailer before a ride .
Thats it apart from waxing the paint twice a year.

·
Registered
329 Posts
For what it's worth, I pressure wash mine 95% of the time, but I am lucky. The wash by me has a "bike wash". It's a smaller bay with a handheld heated air dryer! It has the airflow of a good leaf blower, but heated. I lllllllove it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm no engineer, just a regular guy who really likes to ride his bike and susceptible to thoughts like this creeping in occasionally.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Be careful spraying water directly into the battery area. there is a circuit breaker to the right of the battery and a relay tucked in to the left of the battery. If you get the opportunity to go into these areas you should check for moisture and corrosion. I found my relay (to the left) filled with moisture and corrosion when I took it apart which caused my bike to shut down and surge while under throttle. I pulled it apart, dried it out, cleaned the corrosion, and coated all the contact points with dielectric grease. After putting the relay back together I sealed it with silicone (tube) and no issues since. That was 2 years ago.

The circuit breaker has been known to need replacement also.(right side) When doing so you can replace with one from Napa and do your self a favor and silicone seal the separation area of that also.

No matter what anyone says.... these bikes don't like water.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm no engineer, just a regular guy who really likes to ride his bike and susceptible to thoughts like this creeping in occasionally.
I don't drive trains either, but the first time I washed my Hammer with water and then fired it up, I noticed the water bubbling around the plugs and thought it was a compression leak. Then I realized that the plugs were so hot that the water was boilingthumb up

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
A lot of guys (myself included) will use a "dry wash" type cleaner. I personally use Griots Garage spray cleaner and it works phenomenally and does a great job removing "bug jerky". About twice a year I hand hose wash at home and use a leaf blower.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I soap up the dirty wheels/forks, some areas of the pipes if very dirty, and around the starter area. I do the same to the shield and then rinse. Water goes nowhere near engine and handle bar/electrical components.

If I get wet in rain, I towel down soon as I can.

These bikes are built for wet weather of course but I tend to use common sense and just make the nasty areas squeaky clean. :D thumb up Do the same when I take a shower. :ltr: wac

1 - 14 of 14 Posts