Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , I have yet another question . I went for a ride yesterday with the wife and she is uncomfortable on this big beautiful bike . Problem is that I have a back rest and she just feels cramped . She had a lot more room on my VTX 1300 with the Ultimate X seat .
My question is does this trunk adjust back any ? I know it removes rather easily but I want to leave it on but give her more room . I posed this issue with someone I work with who has a Goldwing . He was able to move his trunk back 4 inches and thought that maybe my Victory could as well . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated .

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
The trunk doesn't move at all. Which goldwing did your friend have? I had a GL1800 for 10 years and didn't know the trunk could move

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The trunk doesn't move but her issues could be more to do with the seat itself rather than the actual space. Have you measured the ACTUAL space on your old and new bikes where she sits to see if there is really a lot of difference? There are a number of existing threads where the passenger was SIGNIFICANTLY happier once a different seat was put on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
I agree with this. My wife was uncomfortable with the stock seat but loves the Ultimate seat.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
My wife complained also. She is more comfortable on the bike with the passenger backrest. The trunk sits her straight up mre forward according to her. You could have the brackets supporting the trunk removed and modified. Cut and re welded to allow more recline and sit back an inch or so. I thought of doing this but she is happy with the passenger backrest and a tojr bag. The trunk is heavy and throws the bike off balance for me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Maybe she needs the adjustable passenger pegs/floorboards.
This made a huge difference for my girlfriend! I have the regular XC and have added the trunk but always had the regular passenger pegs until last week when I replaced them with the XCT passenger floor boards just before a long 2 day ride over the 4th. She was able to move her foot position while we ride and it's a lot easier for her to get on.

Other than a little pricy and a major pain to install, I highly recommend them!

·
Registered
110 Posts
My wife was not too comfortable at first on our XCT. Adjustable passenger floorboards are great-they are at the highest setting as she is barely over 5ft tall. I always remove My backrest and just lean against her if I feel like it, she finds that my backrest gets in her way. We also had our seat customized which made a HUGE difference for her. The trunk back rest is ok for her but she would love for it to sit a little higher but I think I'm done comfort mods for now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
As others have said, the trunk is not adjustable... unless you want to get involved with cutting and welding. And if you do, you want to be careful about shifting mass rearward, in terms of handling; make sure you pack only light stuff in or on top of the trunk.

From my reading assorted bike magazines, I don't think the GW's trunk is adjustable, either. However, one (or maybe several) of the newer H-D baggers comes stock with an adjustable trunk; as I recall, you can move the TourPak fore/aft two inches. No such luck on the XCT.

(BTW, re one of the responses, the XCT comes stock with the adjustable floorboards. This is one of the features that influenced my buying that bike.)

My wife's preference was just the opposite, regarding the backrest angle. On my Valkyrie Interstate, I bought an aftermarket passenger backrest (from Ultimate Seats -- the backrest only, not the seat(s)) so that the angle for her back was more up-and-down, i.e., not leaning back as much. On my 650 Burgman, I had a custom-made backrest (made by a local upholsterer). On the XCT, she pronounced the stock backrest pad fine.

My recommendation for more passenger room is that you remove your backrest when traveling two-up, and put it back on when riding solo. Is that an acceptable option?

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
My passenger floorboards came at the highest setting. When I lowered them to the bottom, my wife liked it much better, so that's where they stay.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My friend at work has a 1986 Interstate that he bought new . When I told him about all of your responses so far he was surprised . I do have the adjustable floorboards that were at the middle setting . I did lower them so I'm sure this will help somewhat. I may have to just bite the bullet and get a new seat. Would a new seat prohibit us from using the heated feature already on the stock seat .

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Would a new seat prohibit us from using the heated feature already on the stock seat .
My new seat didn't have the heating elements installed. I'm sure I could have had my old heating elements installed into it, but didn't bother.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks broggyr , I was afraid of that . I kinda wanted to have a seat with heat . Not for me at all but for the wife . My goal is to travel many many miles on this bike and I wanted her to go with me . She was excited about the thought of having heated seats . She hasn't riden since I lowered the floorboards so I'm hoping this will do the trick . If I have to I will get an aftermarket seat for her and we will have to do without the heat . I'll just have to warm her buns some other way . .

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Thanks broggyr , I was afraid of that . I kinda wanted to have a seat with heat . Not for me at all but for the wife . My goal is to travel many many miles on this bike and I wanted her to go with me . She was excited about the thought of having heated seats . She hasn't riden since I lowered the floorboards so I'm hoping this will do the trick . If I have to I will get an aftermarket seat for her and we will have to do without the heat . I'll just have to warm her buns some other way . .
Some aftermarket seats can be made with heat, for instance:

Russell Day Long: https://www.day-long.com/seat_Heat.html
Corbin: http://corbin.com/polaris_victory/vx10dt.shtml

The RDL is expensive. OTOH, I've spent that kind of money at Lloydz and on Heli-Bars. I had a Corbin on a Beemer a few bikes back, and didn't think very highly of it. All the RDL buyers -- at least the ones who care to post on the Vic forums -- seem to love their seats.

(I have the stock XCT seat, but have BeadRider beads on it. So I'm raised above the heating elements; if it's really cold, I wear overpants, sometimes with liners in them, so I don't need the heat. My wife likes the heat out back, as she wears jeans, even when it's pretty cold.)

Also, there are a few options for adding heat to any seat, such as this Pro Pad, um, pad: http://www.nicecycle.com/Pro-Pad-Motorcycle-Seat-Pad-p/trpropad-26.htm

Just some things for you to think about...

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a back rest and a trunk. The trunk sits back 2 inches compared to the passenger backrest. My wife prefers the trunk because of the extra room. It doesn't hurt that it will hold a couple full face helmets.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wspollack, thank you for the tips . I'm going to see how she feels about having the floorboards lower . Will be definitely keeping these links handy for down the road .

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Just picked up our new to us 13 XCT yesterday. It has the driver backrest and really messes with the wife's seat space, especially when compared to the RSV. Part of the problem looks to be the bracket is wide, also the backrest pad it's self. Is the a backrest that will slip in and out without taking the seat apart? It was so bad I had to borrow tools from the dealer and remove what I could of backrest (level with seat) so she could ride home. I took some pics on my phone to post later to see if I can get some help identifying it. No markings on it I can find.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Interesting the difference in passenger ergos.

I rode a 1200 Gold Wing before I moved to the Valkyrie in '99. There were some aftermarket brackets available way back in the day that allowed for moving the 1200 GW trunk a little. If my memory serves me correctly, I moved mine back two inches to give the wife unit more room.

With the XCT I positioned the passenger pegs in the highest setting. Wifey being 5'2", she is happy with the floorboard setting and the stock seat and backrest/trunk configuration. I did add the driver backrest for me and the end result was that she liked having the backrest there to keep me from invading her space and pushing against her. She is thinking accessory armrests in the near future.
Had the armrests on the GW, but not on the Valk.

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
Just picked up our new to us 13 XCT yesterday. It has the driver backrest and really messes with the wife's seat space, especially when compared to the RSV. Part of the problem looks to be the bracket is wide, also the backrest pad it's self. Is the a backrest that will slip in and out without taking the seat apart? It was so bad I had to borrow tools from the dealer and remove what I could of backrest (level with seat) so she could ride home. I took some pics on my phone to post later to see if I can get some help identifying it. No markings on it I can find.
Yeah. Some pics would help. Most of them just pull right out. Maybe you have one that's bolted to the underside of the seat somehow.

Pull the bolts holding the seat on too. They are optional as far as having them in all the time or not anyway.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yeah. Some pics would help. Most of them just pull right out. Maybe you have one that's bolted to the underside of the seat somehow.

Pull the bolts holding the seat on too. They are optional as far as having them in all the time or not anyway.
Yea this one bolted to frame under seat, then a tab to it and another flat piece.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts