Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How fast can these bikes go consistently without mechanical failure?

What are some of the things to consider for mechanical failure? Besides the H rated front tire, of course.

Can the wheel bearings take it?
How about the swingarm?
Are the forks good to go at this speed?
My engine was redlined, is it really bulletproof?

I have a lot of not-high-speed fun on my bike but every so often I ride with liter bikes.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have a lot of not-high-speed fun on my bike but every so often I feel the need to wide-open on a country back road when I ride with liter bikes.
Why don't you do that at a track? There are other people who ride on back roads. They might misjudge how fast your going and turn right in front of you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There are several abandoned air fields where I live.

edit: also the country back roads here can be ridden for miles without seeing a single soul.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My Judge would top out at 110mph in 4th gear, thats what gear I usualy ran in when riding with the fast boys. Either way it's futile if they can ride, there is no way you are keeping up with a liter bike (straight line or curves). I have friends with 250 supermotos and they were gone after 3 or 4 turns, leaving me behind grinding peg.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Get new friends or buy a liter bike, lol!

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Your bike has a top speed governor (so you can't out-ride your tires' speed rating) at somewhere around 122-124 mph. You can't hurt it because it won't let you...

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
I'm like Dill. I don't usually drive extremely fast but I have a mile or two stretch of road on my way to work where I can see in all directions. On occasion when it's clear, this is where I open her up for a few seconds or so. 170kph (105 mph) is the fastest I've gone.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In 5th gear the top speed limiter doesnt stop you... only the redline limiter.

Aside from the moral and social implications, can the bikes sustain 140 mph at red line?

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Ohhhh gonne try this out ... Cams and rev excited ehhh extend i'll give the 5th a go and see if she got' 5400 RPM in her

·
Registered
289 Posts
In 5th gear the top speed limiter doesnt stop you... only the redline limiter.

Aside from the moral and social implications, can the bikes sustain 140 mph at red line?
What dream world do you live in where your Victory is going 140?

These conversations crack me up. Here's to 140 cheers

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I did very intense work outs a few years ago because one day I imagined in my mind the possibility of someone trying to grab my pretty little daughter and I was not in shape to handle them.

Since then, she has gotten older, bigger, and meaner. I've gotten older, fatter, and slower. :D

I don't need a cruiser that goes that fast. I don't need a crotchety rocker either! If I plan on going that fast, I'm going to need shielding because eventually, something bad will happen. Just sayin...

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Ummm... mine will do 140+. I agree that it takes lots of horsepower to do it. A close to stock bike? Naaaa.

According to GPS the fastest I have had my XC going is 125mph in 5th gear... I can't imagine 140+!!!! I did 325 km/hr in buddies Viper once and that was cool!!! The fastest I have ever ridden a motorcycle was my old CBR 600 at around 300km/hr.... Not totally sure though as I was scared to look at the speedo for more than a slit second!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
According to GPS the fastest I have had my XC going is 125mph in 5th gear... I can't imagine 140+!!!! I did 325 km/hr in buddies Viper once and that was cool!!! The fastest I have ever ridden a motorcycle was my old CBR 600 at around 300km/hr.... Not totally sure though as I was scared to look at the speedo for more than a slit second!!!!

When we were tuning my bike I watched the speed on the dyno. 5th gear at 6000 rpm is roughly 145 mph. I have seen 6000 rpm in 5th gear before on the road, so I'm sure it'll break 140. The bike is rock solid at that speed and the tires are rated for it.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
When we were tuning my bike I watched the speed on the dyno. 5th gear at 6000 rpm is roughly 145 mph. I have seen 6000 rpm in 5th gear before on the road, so I'm sure it'll break 140. The bike is rock solid at that speed and the tires are rated for it.

A lot of people use the term "bad ass" very loosely.... Well 145mph on a KP is BAD ASS!!!! When I took my XC to top speed of 120+mph... It was a little scary. This is the first bike I have ever owned where you need to back off the throttle slowly to avoid headshake and speed wobble. I am attributing it to the fork mounted fairing. I know lots of guys with turbo's on 120" roadglides and they don't experience the speed wobble as bad as the fork mounted fairings. My old Highball was rock solid at top speed... I don't know if I could have done a 145mph on it though! Hard to hang on at 125mph let alone 145mph! The only downfall to apes on a fast cruiser is the parachute effect.

·
13,177 Posts
Rode a Hayabusa out in wyoming one year at sturgis and went 186 mph. Its very scary and you just can't believe how fast things go by.
No I would never do it again. Now days more scared of a tire blowing out on me. Had my vision up to 110 many times but never longer then a mile at most.
Have to laugh at the guys that want there ECM reprogramed so they can go faster. Who are they racing and yes there is someone faster around the next corner

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
A lot of people use the term "bad ass" very loosely.... Well 145mph on a KP is BAD ASS!!!! When I took my XC to top speed of 120+mph... It was a little scary. This is the first bike I have ever owned where you need to back off the throttle slowly to avoid headshake and speed wobble. I am attributing it to the fork mounted fairing. I know lots of guys with turbo's on 120" roadglides and they don't experience the speed wobble as bad as the fork mounted fairings. My old Highball was rock solid at top speed... I don't know if I could have done a 145mph on it though! Hard to hang on at 125mph let alone 145mph! The only downfall to apes on a fast cruiser is the parachute effect.
Crouch down behind the little sport shield and it's not bad at all. The Kingpin does what I ask it to do and never feels sketchy.

·
Registered
352 Posts
....and I know I can reach and hold 145 also ....
...did it just the other day playing with a Concours 14.

Peter

1 - 20 of 58 Posts