Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i purchased my Jackpot i bought it online. When it was delivered i noticed some serious oxidation on the triple trees and fork tubes. Had i seen this in person it might have swayed me to find another bike BUT im more than happy with my decision. The only to get rid of the oxidation, in my opinion, is to remove those parts, sand, then repaint or powder coat. I recently found someone that was getting rid of his chrome trees off of an '06 vegas. My jp is an '07. Are the trees compatible? Its such a killer deal im going to buy them anyway even if they dont fit and resell. Win win all the way around.

Also, whats best for the fork tubes, paint or powder coat. All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,177 Posts
post a photo of your oxidation.
Is it oxidation or is it rust?
If its rust go buy a orange or grapefruit cut it in half and with a old tooth brush use the juice from the fruit to scrub the rust away. Then apply a good coat of wax.
You can not power coat or paint your fork tubes it will not stick and it will wear off as your front end works.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not rust. I believe my bike was a repo from Florida and sat outside for sometime. Probably why I got a good deal on it. Anything alloy looking has oxidation. Also the reason I have slowly been replacing those parts. Hope the previous owner isn't on this forum...

Attachments

·
13,177 Posts
Mikectc
what I see is the clear coat is coming off. Not sure what you want to do. You could take it a part and strip it or with 2000 Sand paper you could sand all the clear off and paint it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2007 Vegas has the same issue. It was a low mileage bike that stayed under a cover. I'll probably remove it, strip it, polish and reclear.
Let us know what you end up doing.

Ernie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts