Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posed my questions on the new member page and got no response, so here goes again. I currently ride a 11 Street Glide that I enjoy. But... After a test ride on a XCountry, searching these forums and watching you tube videos, I was left wondering if I'm missing out. The handling was amazing and I can see with minimal work the power will exceed that of my SG. My question is to all the Harley touring converts, is it that much better? I do several long trips from Houston Texas to all over the place during the summer and I want the best, most reliable ride possible. I've been a die hard Harley guy for about 15 years but that test ride made me think... Give me some advice or opinions. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I posed my questions on the new member page and got no response, so here goes again. I currently ride a 11 Street Glide that I enjoy. But... After a test ride on a XCountry, searching these forums and watching you tube videos, I was left wondering if I'm missing out. The handling was amazing and I can see with minimal work the power will exceed that of my SG. My question is to all the Harley touring converts, is it that much better? I do several long trips from Houston Texas to all over the place during the summer and I want the best, most reliable ride possible. I've been a die hard Harley guy for about 15 years but that test ride made me think... Give me some advice or opinions. Thanks in advance.
I moved to a Cross Country and haven't looked back. More storage, more leg room, and in my opinion, a better ride.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was a devoted harley guy until last year. Just about every aspect of the XC is better than a SG. Comfort, handling, storage, power, maintenance, price, etc. the only real issue that has to be addressed is the buffeting on the XC. That can be easily fixed though. The XC is just a better thought out bike and that's why I switched. I have no regrets. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am a Harley convert, and you couldn't pay me enough to switch back. I came from a 2010 Road Glide, and before that was an Ultra Classic. Now I'm on a '13 Cross Country and been on it since July.
There are a hundred reasons why I can tell you why Victory is so much better then Harley, but one thing I can tell you is to youtube Harley vs. Victory. There is a 4 or 5 part video series done by Arizona Victory that explains why Harley is still stuck in the 1940's technology engine wise. Keep in mind it is a dealer, but nothing he says is a lie,.. its all true.
My dealer gutted my mufflers, put in a stage 1 filter and a tune on my bike before I took delivery. I've got 109 HP and something like 120 ft lbs of torque just from that (I didn't get the dyno sheet, but saw it). To do that with a Harley, either 96, 103, or even a 110 screamin eagle you would have to shell out some big bucks. It only cost me $700, even thought the stock XCs have something like 109 tq. and 100HP. My wife just sold her CVO Road Glide, but it couldn't keep up with my Cross Country, and these 103's Harley is putting out now suck my exhaust fumes from the get go.
handling is miles ahead of H-D, and comfort,.. well I was never comfortable on a Harley. I'm 6'3" and the floorboards were always to small, I felt cramped and anything more then 300-400 miles a day was difficult. On my Victory, I can ride on the stock seat, stock floorboards all day with no complaints or discomfort. Just the usual getting off to stretch at gas stops and I'm good. I changed out my bars, but that's because I like apes.
maintenance is easy, 1 hole for all 3. Because of that, the engine is cooler and riding across Arizona in July was hot, but not as hot as sitting on top of a Harley roasting. You have more storage in the saddlebags and even though the stereo controls looks like an afterthought hanging down, after some miles on the bike I prefer them that way.
One thing I did right away, was buy the Ness lower fork deflectors, and that took away any buffeting I had (which every bike I have ever rode had buffeting,.. its just something that comes with motorcycling and my build I guess). That's something you might look into.

I know its hard switching. It took me a few weeks to muster up the courage once I sat on one, to actually test ride it. After 2 blocks I was sold and converted. After 2500 miles and the bike broke in good, the seat broke in, I was happy as a pig in $#!t. If you listen to your friends that drink the H-D koolaide, you will never know what your missing. I may own a Harley again in the future, but it will be a bar hopper or something for fun around town. My Victory will take me on trips with no worries on breaking down or how bad my body is gonna hurt once Im there. I couldn't be happier, and that's my story.. lol

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Smitty, you mentioned reliability. Let me put it this way; You'll be wasting your money to buy an extended warranty. No point in my saying more, Chainsaw put it all out there. I can add this; be patient, break-in takes a while, maybe 3,000 miles or more, but its well worth the wait. Go ahead, and take the leap - you won't regret it one bit. I have great fun parking my Vic in with a group of Harleys. One time, an H-D guy said, "that's different." I replied, "those are all the same."

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much fellas. I do a lot of my own maintenance work so I've been researching and a Victory motor seems to be much easier to work on. And $700 bucks to get 100+ hp & torque! Dude, $700 won't even get you out of the 85hp range on a stock 103" Harley! That is freaking mind blowing! Thanks again for all the advice. I'm going to see a local dealer when I get off this 2 week stretch at work and look for a XC in white!

·
13,043 Posts
Smitty79

Have had Harley's since high school. Pan heads Knucklehead shovel heads and all the rest. Worked on my bikes and other peoples bikes. Made good evening money off Harley's. My last one was a SG and a trans main shaft bearing went out. It happens. So waiting for parts I went out and road five vision and two CC. Feel in love with the vision.
I think the motor noise is way less on the late model Harley's. If Vic would have used a primary chain they would have nailed it but they don't want to copy Harley. One oil does every thing on the Vic and you can lay on the ground drain oil in no time and be done. Yes you can read where the CC or XC has some problems but there very miner. A friend owns a sport center and sells four different models and he hates Vic. He says they don't come in for repairs just oil change and he can't make money off the oil change
If you want leg room and comfort Vic beats out Harley. Save money Vic doesn't have all the chrome do dads so you can take more trips.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's weird but after watching the you tube vids and just comparing the motors, I had no idea how out dated the Harley technology was. I guess I wanted a Harley since I was a kid, but I'm too old to get myself 2k miles away from home on a bike that I know has inherent issues. I know every bike has its ticks & problems, but the Victory motor is just head and shoulders above Harley, bottom line. Thanks again, now to let the wife digest my decision...

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's weird but after watching the you tube vids and just comparing the motors, I had no idea how out dated the Harley technology was. I guess I wanted a Harley since I was a kid, but I'm too old to get myself 2k miles away from home on a bike that I know has inherent issues. I know every bike has its ticks & problems, but the Victory motor is just head and shoulders above Harley, bottom line. Thanks again, now to let the wife digest my decision...
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
One time, an H-D guy said, "that's different." I replied, "those are all the same."
Where is the like button.. I'm gonna have to remember that gem. thumb up

·
Registered
190 Posts
came from an EG Classic to a XC. As much money as dumped into fixing issues with the EG the wife was an easy sell on the XC, after all my Vegas with almost 35k has had zero issues.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Had my share of Harleys. Loved everyone of them and had no issues. Two completely different bikes but I won't go back. When I came home with the XCT and surprised the SO she was taken aback... then we went riding. She said it is the most comfortable bike we have ever had for her, no more back and knee aches. Of course she got more room to pack too.

Only thing I still have trouble with is the rear back bag is so huge and high, that stop and starts always get me a little since short legged, then I look over at my buddies on their Ultras and at 6 feet they tell me they have issues too and no longer like gravel parking. Me, I just use the reverse gear and laugh. They can do it on a Harley, but they would be embarrassed too.

Same when we went on our first trip after I got it to the mountains. We came out am to ice on the bikes. I turned on the seat heater an hand grips and they just looked at me and couldn't believe that came stock. I had a nice warm butt and my friend took his seat in to add heat and foam. Wimp.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I never owned a HD but rode twice on 2 separate occasions on a SG and still couldn't even like the bike. Love the looks not the ride. My XC has about 3k invested into it on top of the 18k initial price including the lock n ride trunk and back rest/rack. I have owned this now modified Vic for just over 2yr's now and I cant get enough of it. Every time I ride it I smile big and all my HD riding compadres have the upmost respect for it and my decision to own it.

Get it, get it tuned, and set it up for you and you will have the best bike you ever owned. Good luck .cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well... after looking at it I've decided to go with the XC. I've talked to a buddy that sold me my 2 previous Harleys & the Victory dealership that is part of his complex is gonna work with me. Its funny he's had s guy wanting my Street Glide for about 3 months. I'm most likely going to sell to him out right & then use the cash on the XC. Thanks fellas and I'll post in a couple weeks when I hopefully have a new bike!

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Welcome to Victory. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
119 hp
115 torques....

$2500.00...

Still riding with a silly grin...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Get the XC Tour. The lowers have the air system and Ipod in the storage. Plus you will want the tour pack for the long haul. I have the Madstad screen to control buffeting and the Day-long saddle for 10 hours of comfort. Plus I added the Lloydz treatment and got 121HP/119 torque. I rode from Daytona to DC in one shot. Felt fine when I got off. 730 miles.

Shop around. I paid $18,900 plus tax and title. My trade in reduced my taxes so don't forget that as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks fellas. Right now I'm waiting until I work a little more OT before I make a move. I wanna walk out of there with everything I want and then I'll add some of the creature comforts myself. My buddy has a XCT with Freedom Performance true duals, Lloydz air filter and a PCV and that thing is amazing! He's well over the 100/100 mark. Very impressive and great sounding as well.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I posed my questions on the new member page and got no response, so here goes again. I currently ride a 11 Street Glide that I enjoy. But... After a test ride on a XCountry, searching these forums and watching you tube videos, I was left wondering if I'm missing out. The handling was amazing and I can see with minimal work the power will exceed that of my SG. My question is to all the Harley touring converts, is it that much better? I do several long trips from Houston Texas to all over the place during the summer and I want the best, most reliable ride possible. I've been a die hard Harley guy for about 15 years but that test ride made me think... Give me some advice or opinions. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTe

After 14 Hardley-Dangerous MC's.... *Finally found Nirvana on my 12 XCT.
HD = Less is not More, it's just marketing for not giving you more and more profit for the company.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again fellas for all the advice. I'm gonna wait a little bit and probably buy around October. Paying off a few bills so that I trade my Street Glide plus have some cash in my hand to get a XCT with all the parts that I want on it, pipes, a/c, tuner etc. I will be lurking around learning all I can and when I buy I will definitely post the new Victory. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts