Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read every thread here about darksiding your bike...not lookin to start another thred about that!!
I have decided that for me and the kind of riding I do I want to try it. The dunlop winter sportt run flat seemed to be everyones favorite..but its no longer available in the size for the xc/xr. So whats available ina run flat now as thats the way i would like to go. Also, i have lowered my XR, will that have any bearing whatsoever in choosing the tire size??
Thanks for any help here!!

·
13,027 Posts
185/55-16
start out with forty pounds of air in shock. If you here a chirp going over rail road tracks add air. If not maybe less will work.
How much you and your riding partner weight is a factor. Remember on trips with bike loaded add more air

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just che cked tirerack.com for that tire size..there are no run flats available in that size..guess more research is needed. Thanks visionjohnny

·
Registered
141 Posts
185/55-16
start out with forty pounds of air in shock. If you here a chirp going over rail road tracks add air. If not maybe less will work.
How much you and your riding partner weight is a factor. Remember on trips with bike loaded add more air
I think he mean 195/55-16. I've ran it on my wing and will be putting one on my XCT very soon.

·
13,027 Posts
If your lowering or its lowered use the 185 yes you might not find it in the run flat. reason with the bike being lowered you don't want a tall tire.
I do believe the 195 height is the same as stock

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
That's what I have on my rear. It does tend to make the bike want to turn down hill. Like for unlevel roads and depressions at intersections. Low speed and unlevel took some getting use to.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm curious as to why most of the Victory Darksiders seem to be using a winter tire. I ran my VTX1800 on the Darkside for over 23k miles. Nobody in the Honda VTX forums was running a winter tire, at least none that I recall. Many of us were on Goodyear TT. What's the logic?

(We have 3' of snow on the ground at the moment. Maybe I'm missing out and could be riding year-round?! cheers)

Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
A winter tire has more wiping for wet and ice, I also believe they are a softer compound and grip better. Still researching myself but that's what i see.

·
Registered
21 Posts
darkside

i am running a goodyear egeal winter ulta grip run flat on my ming and have over 20,000 and still looks good will put one on my 2013 cc whan the facctory tire wears out

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I just did over 100 miles on my recently darksided Vision. The reason I'm posting here is because I know of the characteristics a car tire has on the bike. Downhill, follow the road angle thing. I too ran thousands of miles on my VTX with that characteristic but let me tell you what I've discovered.

1st, I swap out both my cars for winter tires in the winter. I absolutely hate how they act when it warms up. The feel sloppy and loose. While I haven't ever used a winter tire on my bike, I don't ever want that sloppiness under me on my bike. No way!!

2nd, I can't believe this but I get zero car tire characteristics on my Vision using a
. I'm extremely happy with it especially since I seem to be free if the "flat side" of the tire characteristics.

You will want a 185/55 since you are lowered. 195/55 for stock non lowered/non Ness bikes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I got the same tire Dave...what psi have you found feels right for this tire.
I'm running 29-30 lbs and ride two up all the time. My last Michelin I kept it at 32lbs and seemed to wear the middle out a but sooner than expected. I still had plenty of miles left on it when I changed it at 24,000 miles. It actually rides better at the current pressure I'm at now.

·
13,027 Posts
I'm running 29-30 lbs and ride two up all the time. My last Michelin I kept it at 32lbs and seemed to wear the middle out a but sooner than expected. I still had plenty of miles left on it when I changed it at 24,000 miles. It actually rides better at the current pressure I'm at now.
I have to ask and am not trying to make you mad
but running tire at 29-30 psi means its under inflated and would that mean the center part of the tire is not making good contact with pavement. Witch would mean the tire has more of a square shape as apposed to a half moon shape like a bike tire.
I'm sure you get a softer ride but wouldn't it be mushy in corners making it less stable.
Where running it at 38-40 psi be better

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I have to ask and am not trying to make you mad
but running tire at 29-30 psi means its under inflated and would that mean the center part of the tire is not making good contact with pavement. Witch would mean the tire has more of a square shape as apposed to a half moon shape like a bike tire.
I'm sure you get a softer ride but wouldn't it be mushy in corners making it less stable.
Where running it at 38-40 psi be better
I understand what your saying and I'm not mad nor would I get mad over tires .. However when I was running 32lbs the center wore more than the rest of the tire therefore it was over inflated , correct ? So now that I'm running 29-30lbs the tire seems to be wearing even / flat across the bottom. I run a run flat and at this pressure it is a softer ride ,not a mushy feeling at all and being that I live down here in flatsville FL a normal motorcycle tire wears flat and square so why not just start out that way. :D

When I had my Goldwing almost all the info I have on Car tires I learned from reading the Darkside section over on the GL1800riders.com site and from my own experience's with running run flat car tires on my Goldwing. So with just about 113,000 mile of running these tires on two different bikes I tend to go with what works best for me. So far that's about 85,000 miles on the Goldwing and right at 28,000 on my XCT.

I joined the darkside over there on the Goldwing forum and was given # 102 ,that was in Nov of 07 and now there are over 1500 members and that don't include 100's of riders that don't have or want a darkside number. check out the list along with a lot of car tire info.

http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

With running a run flat you can run a lower pressure for a softer ride vs a non run flat where you would need higher pressure's to keep it from feeling squirrely , so I'm told as I have never tried a non run flat. We do 200-300 mile lunch ride every weekend and been doing that since June of 07 , we visit the Smokey Mountains at least once a year and have done all the great motorcycle roads up in that area with no issues ( about 1500-1800 miles in a week ). And again leaving the pressure and the same PSI from where it is while riding here in south Fl or in the mountains.

I check my tires with a depth gauge and one thing I do with my trucks ,trailers and the rear tire on the bike is to use a infrared temperature gun to check the heat on the tire after running about 30 minutes up the road, I'll stop and take a temp reading from the right to center to the left. If the center is hotter I'll let a little out and the same if the center is colder than the outer edges I'll add some air. I've done this for years and all my tires wear even. While not a tire expert I learned this method from back when I raced stock cars and it just works, for me that is.

So you must be thinking if I did everything right then why did this tire wear the center out , well the only thing I can think of was either it was a non accurate tire gage or it was the added tongue weight of my Bushtec trailer building up heat which would add pressure and expand the tire after 8-9 hours on the interstate. Our trip to the mountains last Oct was the first time pulling our trailer that long with the Victory, 2600 miles round trip in 9 days and it was then after getting up there I noticed the center was wearing more. Since then I threw my old tire gauge away and bought a new one when I replaced the tire.

So right or wrong that's my story and I'm sticking to it.thumb up

·
Registered
141 Posts
I ran a non run flat on my wing also a Dunlap I put 7000 miles on it than I removed it when I triked the bike. My brother ran it on his wing for another 8000 miles before something went though the side wall and it went flat at 70 MPH. He did not know it was flat till he could smell the burnt rubber. It had a three inch hole in the side wall. I ran it at 32 lbs psi. but a lot of the wing riders run the run flat's at 26 to 28 Lbs psi. They say that it evens out the ware across the tire. At higher pressures the center of the tread wears faster than the sides.

As for running the winter tires they have about 2/32 more tread depth than the non winter tires so wear longer. When I bought the Victory it of course had a M/C tire on it a E 3 and I hated the way it handled esp. when braking. My bike has ABS and E 3 would do strange things some even scary. I'm hoping that putting a 195/55-R16 Winter Sport on it will fix this or I will disable the ABS.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have found for even wear of the car tire on a motorcycle that lower air pressure is key. Higher air pressure tends to allow the tire to ride more like the characteristics of a motorcycle tire.

I have about 15,000 miles on my Yokohama and the pressure was 38 -39 and the center of the tread has worn faster than the outside tread areas. I have dropped the pressure to 30 psi to allow the outside treads to wear more and plan to watch and keep adjusting to get all wear to be uniform.

Good discussion and information being shared on this forum and thread.

I have been able to get 30,000 miles on car tires when I rode a VTX 1800. I hope I can get that type of mileage with car tires on my XCT.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts