Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently cut apart a stock set of mufflers for my cross country. I'm curious about putting thrush glasspacks in them. My question is, do I have to remove the inner sleeve and fiberglass packing?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
I didnt. Since i had a little over 500 miles on my mufflers I had an easy time slipping them in. Cut off the end cap, insert the muffler in (straight) and bang on a piece of 4x4 post. Took maybe 10 min for both sides.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I didnt. Since i had a little over 500 miles on my mufflers I had an easy time slipping them in. Cut off the end cap, insert the muffler in (straight) and bang on a piece of 4x4 post. Took maybe 10 min for both sides.
I wish I had that experience. I had to cut the ends off, split em up the middle seam and pry the liner out. Then I slid the thrush inside, welded the seam back up and then welded the ends on. I've done two sets. It takes me about 3 hours or so to do both mufflers.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Split em

I removed the fiberglass lining from the inside. Split it down the side and stuck the glass pack in and welded them up. What I wish I would have done is: Stick the glass pack into the outside piece of metal and weld the side up. Center it in there were I want it and before welding on the ends I wish I had welded the front side of the new glass pack all the way around to the outside of the original muffler casing or metal. After having the mufflers on the bike awhile I can hear the exhaust blowing past the outside of the glasspack. Not that big of a deal, but my ears are not the best and it bugs me that I can hear that noise. It would just sound much better if the exhaust did not leak past the outside of the glasspack muffler. Most people do not notice I am sure, but I hear it. I now wish I would have taken a few more minutes and welded it up better. One day I may reweld it. Good luck. The other thing is I took the left side muffler off so all the exhaust now goes out the right side muffler. cheers

·
13,003 Posts
measure what you want for length and then go to auto parts store and order them. That way you get free shipping and if there not right you can take them back. As long as there new

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
if i were to do it again yes i would pull the screening out, my mufflers didnt go in so easy, ive also been looking at different baffles to make my own glasspack out of the stock muffler, i would go 2 1/4"-2 1/2" all the way, use a baffle with perforated holes and not the louvers like most packs, and pack all around the baffle with fiberglass packing, just need to find the right baffle at the right price.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The PO of my XR put on an aftermarket exhaust [at the dealer]...but I can find no name on the outside of them. I guess it's under the heat shields ?
They are a large round [4-5"] end design ...sometimes seem a bit loud too me. But I came off a whisper quiet BMW...so I'll give it a while maybe I'll come to like them ?

If anyone thinks they recognize the description ? Please advise...I'm curious as to what they are.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
measure what you want for length and then go to auto parts store and order them. That way you get free shipping and if there not right you can take them back. As long as there new
I got the length part no problem. I'm just debating taking out the inner screen and packing.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
The PO of my XR put on an aftermarket exhaust [at the dealer]...but I can find no name on the outside of them. I guess it's under the heat shields ?

They are a large round [4-5"] end design ...sometimes seem a bit loud too me. But I came off a whisper quiet BMW...so I'll give it a while maybe I'll come to like them ?

If anyone thinks they recognize the description ? Please advise...I'm curious as to what they are.

any pics would be helpful, most slipons look the same.

broggy i suggest pulling it out , with it in the pack is the same size so its a very tight fit

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
car glass packs

If you install into the stock muffler housing a "glass pack" muffler they are already packed and ready to install. You can use for example a "Cherry Bomb" brand for a car. You can check out www.summitracing.com or even www.jegs.com for two places and there are many more places you can get them. You can also go down to your local automotive parts store and order two. I ordered mine on line. I believe two mufflers ran me about $50 sent to my front door. Much less money than most motorcycle slip on after market mufflers.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
yes i used thrush, they look almost identical but have more perforations in the baffle then cherry bombs

my reason for wanting to just baffle is the glasspacks end up weighing quite a bit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you can get it in with out removing the screen, great. I couldn't. The thrush is 3 1/2 in OD, the screen is 3 1/4 ID. If you do remove the screen leave the fiberglass in that is around the inside of the muffler shell. If you remove it the thrush will be too loose of a fit. What ever you do, you are still going to have to weld it back together.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep. I understand I'll have to weld it back together. I'm sure I could find a guy that knows how. I could even take it to a muffler shop and have them weld them up for me. They probably will charge me a little money, but it's still less than buying new pipes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My XCT had gutted pipes and was TOO loud. I cut the ends of the cans about 1 1/2" from the factory welds, then slit the cans along their length. I pulled the sleeve and glass out, then put the sleeves around the glass packs and inserted them. A friend welded them for me. I don't have anything but friction and the rear spot welds holding the glass packs in. I used Flowmaster 50252 FLT mufflers. They have a 2 1/2" inlet/outlet, and sound great!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
13,003 Posts
Yep. I understand I'll have to weld it back together. I'm sure I could find a guy that knows how. I could even take it to a muffler shop and have them weld them up for me. They probably will charge me a little money, but it's still less than buying new pipes.
Look on craigslist under services. I found a guy 5 blocks a way and he charged me ten buck

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think you mean Flowtech mufflers ;)
I found them on jegs.com for $18.95 including shipping!
http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowtech/387/50250/10002/-1
I may have to buy a couple. I think I'm gonna go with the 50250 instead; they have a 2" in/out as opposed to 2.5"...
I was between using the 1 3/4" and the 2" thrush, went with the 2" and they dynotuned very well, better then most mufflers. I am still curious how the 1 3/4 would have done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
1 - 20 of 74 Posts