Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just recieved my underdrive pulley and it is quite rusty? The pics on vendors site make them look like there polished or chrome, maybe I'm picky but om not interested in putting $400.00 rusty parts on my bike.

Second problem is that 10 of the teeth (all consecutive) have a weird machining/tool marks on them the rest are smooth and rusty! Lol

First pic of rust

Attachments

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pic of teeth with tool marks on them

Attachments

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pic of smooth rusty teeth.lol

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Could be old stock where the oil coating got rubbed off. Not going to affect performance. Is it going to be exposed or under the OEM cover?
Have you brought your concerns up to your vendor?

As far as the machine marks, I personally wouldn't worry about them but if it bothers you then definitely contact your vendor.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sent them an email today no response yet.

Yah it just seems weird to put bare metal on just to rust behind a cover.
When I pull the cover off am I going to find the stock unit all rusty?

Anyone see any problem having it coated maybe with one of those super hard self lubricating coatings used on guns? I forget the names of them but my Glocks are custom EXO coated from Talo.

Or should I just sand and paint it to prevent future rust.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I would agree. It prob doesn't look much different in finish from the stock unit. Which I doubt is coated in Amy fashion.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
I wouldnt worry its not gonna affect performance or longevity and its not even visible on the bike.
Id have it on there and be riding it right now..

Reactions: broggyr

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it. Maybe just make sure there are no sharp edges where the belt comes in contact with it. The rust is a non issue. Take some sandpaper to it if it really bothers you knowing it's there and wax it or something to keep it from rusting again.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks BP6666VR I hadn't seen that post.

Nice to know I'm not the only one bothered by the rust, I will defiantly be powder coating it.

I do tend to over do or over think things as some have said but that's me and this is my first brand new Victory so I have a little more pride in this bike than I have my past bikes so there won't be any rusty parts installed on it even if it can't be seen.

·
Vendor
129 Posts
Looks pretty normal to me. We sell them all the time and they all look like that. Does make me think though that maybe we can powder coat them and make a better product for everyone.

·
Registered
632 Posts
When you power coat them will the pulley still fit on the spine, And will the coating on the teeth abrade the belt..?? Or is there a way to keep the coating off those two spots??

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
When you power coat them will the pulley still fit on the spine, And will the coating on the teeth abrade the belt..?? Or is there a way to keep the coating off those two spots??
Yep. The coating is sprayed on then put in the oven to bake on and solidify. All they have to do is put tape over the areas they don't want the coating on. There are tapes than can withstand the heat of the ovens just like autoclave tape for sterilizing instruments for surgery.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yep. The coating is sprayed on then put in the oven to bake on and solidify. All they have to do is put tape over the areas they don't want the coating on. There are tapes than can withstand the heat of the ovens just like autoclave tape for sterilizing instruments for surgery.
If there had to be away' Thanks! ...............

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
What does this underdrive pulley do to your speedometer? I assume it would show you going faster than actual... I am intrigued by this, I don't need top-end speed and I could use the extra torque.

[EDIT] Is it as simple as removing the 2 fewer teeth from the equation? E.g. 65MPH w/ 33T will be an actual 61MPH w/ 31T - does this make sense?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
That pulley looks fine. It wouldn't make sense to coat it with anything. If the minor surface rust bothers you that much, why not just scuff it off with some emery cloth and install it. I'm pretty sure once installed it will just get shiny where the belt runs on it and the sides will accumulate dirt over time.

·
13,242 Posts
are you sure you want to lose top end by 15 or 20 mph.
at 60 mph the sound of your rpms will be like your in 4th gear.

Dakota digital makes a box for calibrating your speed-o

1 - 20 of 62 Posts