Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 3 different types of tires I'm looking at (not brands, types) and I'm wondering why, from most of what I've read, most if not all are running a Winter/Snow type versus ...

High Performance All Season

High Performance Summer

My question is, why the Winter is (or seems to be) preferred over the other 2 types?

I'm considering the following:

Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP Winter/Snow
Tire-Michelin.jpg

Kumho Ecsta PA31 High Performance All Season
Tire-Kumho1.jpg

Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP High Performance Summer
Tire-Kumho2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Subscribed.

·
13,262 Posts
better all around gripping and I believe stiffer side wall. As far as I know they don't make them any more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ran the Kumho on my 07 Wing. It's a good tire, but when the Primacy Alpin came out, guys started trying those and liked them better over the Kumho. It really wasn't a summer vs winter tire as much as what was perceived a better handling tire for dark siders. Kind of like which oil is best topic. When I need a new rear tire, I will go with the Primacy Alpin.

I was an early participant going to the dark side when I had my VTX1800 Retro with fairing and hard saddlebags. I ran a Michelin HydroEdge. I ran the dragon tail with my friends and didn't have any issues with cornering. I pushed my group to keep up with me.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
better all around gripping and I believe stiffer side wall. As far as I know they don't make them any more.
Don't make which?

FWIW guys, I was double-D on my Wing. Ran the Kumho brand but a different "model" so to speak and yes, it was a winter tread ... just never knew why folks ran winter versus the others.

My preference at this time is the Michelin.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
the snow has more siping that will help with braking and wet traction. i have the michelin and really like it

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the snow has more siping that will help with braking and wet traction. i have the michelin and really like it
Good point and makes perfect sense that I should go with that since I live on the WET coast of Can Nu Duh ... eh

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
go with the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55/16, trust me and thousands of other darksiders you will like it.

I had two on my Goldwing and now on my second one on our XCT.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
go with the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55/16, trust me and thousands of other darksiders you will like it.

I had two on my Goldwing and now on my second one on our XCT.

Thanks a ton guys ... always a helpful bunch on here.

Just ordered the Alpin PA3 ZP.

I was initially going to order it on-line, out of the US but with the exchange rate and shipping nowadays, even to my WA pickup point plus duty, it was almost a wash to buy local.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Let me get this straight? Your running car tires on your motorcycle?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me get this straight? Your running car tires on your motorcycle?
Yup, and when I take the motorcycle tires off, I put 'em on my truck ... :ltr:

·
Premium Member
13,726 Posts
Anyone know of a good run flat with a 175 width? I really like my Dunlop Winter Sport in that size but they don't make them anymore and the replacement isn't a run flat. I like that added security of knowing I don't need to worry about a back tire leaving me stranded somewhere.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Anyone know of a good run flat with a 175 width? I really like my Dunlop Winter Sport in that size but they don't make them anymore and the replacement isn't a run flat. I like that added security of knowing I don't need to worry about a back tire leaving me stranded somewhere.
Still kinda new to all this darkside stuff.. But, having had those such as Yellow Wolf explain to me the safety and physics behind it :ltr: .., I do like what I have learned about the subject so far and have been considering a CT for a while now..

As far as running on these ZP tires.. ??? .. Can you actually run on those with Zero Pressure on a bike??? Almost think stability would become an issue? I Don't know.. Asking.. cheers

·
Premium Member
13,726 Posts
As far as running on these ZP tires.. ??? .. Can you actually run on those with Zero Pressure on a bike??? Almost think stability would become an issue? I Don't know.. Asking.. cheers
Yes. Definitely. In fact it is more important to check your air pressure more often because you could have zero pressure and not know it. Most folks use some kind TPMS these days. (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

Lots to choose from and can be just as easy as a stem cap to install.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yes you can. they feel mushy for lack of a better description, but hey won't slam you into the ground either if you have a catastrophic deflation.
You can ride them, but just like when mounted on an auto, you have to slow down and take it easy. They are made to let you "limp" to a safe place or get you out of trouble. A tire pressure monitor is very recommended as well.
Kind of like a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Use it o get out of trouble, not into it.
cheers

·
Premium Member
13,726 Posts
Yes you can. they feel mushy for lack of a better description, but hey won't slam you into the ground either if you have a catastrophic deflation.
You can ride them, but just like when mounted on an auto, you have to slow down and take it easy. They are made to let you "limp" to a safe place or get you out of trouble. A tire pressure monitor is very recommended as well.
cheers
True. I was thinking of a slow leak which a person just gets used to. Someone who knows their bike should pick up on a low tire at some point.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yes. Definitely. In fact it is more important to check your air pressure more often because you could have zero pressure and not know it. Most folks use some kind TPMS these days. (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

Lots to choose from and can be just as easy as a stem cap to install.
Thanks, yeah, I was looking into those TPMs too... Gonna do the CT thing, I think.. The more I learn about it the more convinced I am that it's a thing I have to at least give a try..

Better rear wheel traction, better braking, better wearing... For all the highway and interstate miles I run, my tires are pretty-much squared off after a few months anyway :ltr:

·
Registered
347 Posts
cheers
Yeah, kinda figured.. Take things slow, no scraping handlebars in the corners .. :D .. thumb up .. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts