Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new rider. 1 month 500 miles. I learned in the motocycle safety class that if you want to go left, you push slighlty on the left grip and lean left. I am finding that I need to "steer" my Kingpin slightly in the direction I want to go and lean. Does this sound crazy, and am I doing it wrong???
A friend who rides says he felt the same thing when on my bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am a new rider. 1 month 500 miles. I learned in the motocycle safety class that if you want to go left, you push slighlty on the left grip and lean left. I am finding that I need to "steer" my Kingpin slightly in the direction I want to go and lean. Does this sound crazy, and am I doing it wrong???
It's dependent on speed. At slower speeds you wil have to steer, however at highway speeds a slight push in the direction you want to turn will suffice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's dependent on speed. At slower speeds you wil have to steer, however at highway speeds a slight push in the direction you want to turn will suffice.
You might also want to check your handbar height adjustment. If they are too high it can affact your ability to control the bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The msystery is over. The bike had bad steering head bearings. The grease was like dried mud. Clearly a factory defect as the bike is practically new with no stories. Bought it used (400 miles) with no warranty. I could have been killed! I thought it was my inexperience. When an experienced rider tried it he didn't even make it out of the parking lot. The Victory dealer couldn't believe what he felt and then saw. How does grease go bad?? Essentaillythe steering locked up once the bike got over 5MPH. The weight of the bike on the steering head allowed the bars to be turned when at a dead stop.
Drives great now. I will need to seek some satisfaction from Victory. With no warrnty they may not be very sympathetic, however I am sure they rather have their customers say how Victory took care of a them(perhaps with a leather jacket etc..) than say how their bike almost killed them because of a defect.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry, man. Caveat emptor. (Let the buyer beware) There is no way you can assume this is a factory defect. There are cleaning agents and other chemicals that can affect the lubricity of greases. It's possible that the bike could have been subjected to some of these, or perhaps some amateur mechanic worked on the steering...could be a bunch of factors other than factory defect. I've been to the Victory factory, and believe me, the checks, double and triple checks (in fact every work station inspects the previous station's work) insure that something like this would likely never happen at or leave the factory.

Although it is a fairly new bike, it's still used. What year is it, by the way? Victory (Polaris) has no control over the way the bike, however old, has been used, serviced or mistreated.

I think you should be damn happy they found it for you, and ride on. Asking Victory to give you a leather jacket at this point is like asking Smith and Wesson to pay for a funeral.

Go ride.You have the best bike in the business.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
What year is your bike? Did you buy it from a dealer? If not then you should be looking at the person that sold it to you.

I have had people bring in bikes with less miles than yours that screwed them up trying to do their own work.

If you bought this bike from a dealer with no warranty then IMO that says it all about the dealer knowing something was wrong with it.

For all you know this bike may have been wrecked and the owner put another front end on it.

Don't be so quick to point the finger at Victory.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I point the finger at Polaris because they MADE the bike. It is a 2006 sold new in 2008. 400 miles since new. Purchaesd from a private collection from a very wealthy owner. The kind of owner that also had Ferrari’s, Porsches’ and Ducati’s in his collection. The kind of guy who kept his collection in a climate controlled warehouse. The kind of guy that is not going to pawn off a problem with bearings to the next poor sucker that came along. He didn’t need to.
My bike had 400 miles on it. It was the high mileage bike in the group of Victories that were available. The other two (Hammer and a Vegas) had 100 miles each. Believe what you want, but that is the truth. The bike was purchased from a Porsche dealer that represented the collector and was a personal friend. The Porsche dealer had some of the bikes AND cars on consignment. I guess the downturn in the economy hit all classes. The chain of contacts is very short. There are no dark horses in this race.
I totally understand that Victory is under no obligation to make anything right with me by virtue of no warranty being in play. The front end was never off the bike. The bearings were never repacked. I have never seen a cleaner that can eat through grease and contaminate bearings yet leave no other evidence anywhere else on the bike. The type of owner I described above typically doesn’t clean motorcycles with a wire brush and grease eating sulfuric acid. At 400 miles on the bike, it is safe to sy there was no scheduled maintenance. The bike still had the original oil in it! The custom Platinum one paint job looks as if it were just completed. On a scale of 1 – 10 the bike is a 9.9. It came from the factory with over $5K in options. If you were to see the bike, know the history, and then digest the problem that was found you would probably come to the same conclusion that I have. Take emotion out of the equation and there is little else that you CAN conclude.
My concern with the replies to my post is that this has turned into a CYA thread and no one is looking at the problem, the symptoms, how to diagnose, how to repair. I thought that is what these forums are intended for. Those that represent a dealer have a vested interest in deflecting the problem (a lack of objectivity). Those that say that this could NEVER be a factory issue should look at the recent news regarding a Japanese Auto manufacturer that was regarded as having the highest quality cars in the world. They would NEVER release a product with a problem!
Things happen. It is not a perfect world. I would like to think that Victory would like these bearings back to do some failure analysis on and that alone might be worth a little trinket to the customer as a sort of “make it right” move.
There is a thread from “blueandwhite07kngpn” that sounds eerily familiar. It will be interesting to see if he finds the problem and shares with us the results.
Last thought. I definitely have the coolest bike in town. It looks as good as it rides. I am extremely pround to own it. Having ridden some other bikes this weekend I can really appreciate how nice this one performs. It DID have a problem. My local Victory dealer DID handle it well. Asking Polaris to look into it and do a make right is not over the top. For anyone that represents a dealer on this thread and thinks I am off my rocker, I am glad you are not my dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry, man, while it's great that you got it from some A-1 guy, and that he's rich and all, it's still your risk when you buy anything used. If you bought a used car sans warranty, and had a steering problem, would you expect Ford or GM or whomever, to "make it right"?

I think the fact that your Vic dealer found the problem and remedied it and put you back on the road with a fit machine answers the question.

It's not Polaris's problem. What loss, other than a minor inconvenience, have you suffered? Did you crash your bike? Did you suffer significant financial hardship or physical discomfort? No.

With all due respect, man, why do you think Polaris owes you something here? Be happy you've found the problem, that it's been fixed and you're safely on your way.

Sorry, but I don't understand your attitude at all. And I'm not a dealer rep, just a satisfied KP owner. By the way, I bought a brand new 2007 just last fall, and everything is just perfect.

LarryM
Northfield, MN

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My problem, man, is that I almost got killed.
And yes I would expect any manufacturter worth their salt to at least look into it. I am proud to say that I work for such a company.
Sometimes we look beyond the warranty and to see if we owe the customer better. A satisfied customer is a lifelong customer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
A little "practice what I preach". If you should suspect a steering problem that may involve the headset you can try a few things. Put something more slippery then pavement under the front wheel. Try turning the headset and look for resistance. If at all possible put it on a jack and get the front wheel off the pavement. Check to see that you have totally unobstructed movement once the weight of the bike has been lifted. My bike would allow the headset to turn when it was under it's own weight. Once put on a lift it was litterally siezed. And by all means, take it to the dealer and have it checked out.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
A little "practice what I preach". If you should suspect a steering problem that may involve the headset you can try a few things. Put something more slippery then pavement under the front wheel. Try turning the headset and look for resistance. If at all possible put it on a jack and get the front wheel off the pavement. Check to see that you have totally unobstructed movement once the weight of the bike has been lifted. My bike would allow the headset to turn when it was under it's own weight. Once put on a lift it was litterally siezed. And by all means, take it to the dealer and have it checked out.
Question on what you just mentioned above. Could it be that due to lack of usage in the last 4 years, it may have possibly caused the bearings to begin to rust. Not saying all rusted out, but enough to cause binding and tightness in the steering? Especially when no weight on the headset?

I have seen people start to notice tightness in their steering, and after correcting the tire air pressure, problems went away. Not saying this is what happened...just sharing some experiences.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I cant say for sure what the root cause of the grease problem is. Dealers have leftover bikes that go back to 2007 all the time. I have never heard of them having any problems. I cant think of a reason why the grease would fail the way it did.
I would hope Victory wants them back to do failure analysis.

Bike is great now! Thinking of putting a BreakAway Cruise control on.
Having custome leather saddlebags made to order.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I have and am not a dealer. I did however have a Victory customizing business. I have worked on a LOT of Victory's. I have yet to hear of the problem you had with any bike except one. That ONE was the owners fault. Cheap bearings and no lube.

Back to Victory. ONE I repeat ONE customer has a problem. Does that dictate them being to blame or really being concerned?

I had a customer come in with his transmission acting up on his 04 KP. We went in and it was obvious the gasket was not the manufacturers. We found a ZIP Tie gnarled up in the tranny. Hmmmmmm...he bought the bike used from someone with 800 miles on it that he trusted and SWORE the tranny had not been opened.

Thats the point I'm trying to make. Your bike has been in a few different hands and you cannot say for SURE what anyone did to it. You are ASSUMING that no one did anything to them. Your assumption is just as bad as what you are saying I and others are assuming.

Without any POSITIVE proof no one knows for sure and Victory doesn't have to step up for an isolated unproven manufacturers problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The difference in what I stated and what you stated is that I had a factory autorized dealer do the work and they found no afermarket parts nor evidence that the head unit was eever taken apart. From your experience it was pretty obvious what had occured.
I am astonished that people are sooo surprised there could be a defect with a Victory. What about engine mapping and popping when using Victory custom pipes? Victory is aware of that and what have they done? Nothing. They blame the customer for putting after market pipes on the bike. Even though they are Victory custom pipes with a Polaris dealer installing them and doing the stage 1 upgrade.
Very strange to say the least.
Dont get me wrong, the one problem aside, I love the bike. Wouldn't dream of buying anything else. But it is OK to ask a manufacturer to stand by, or at least look into a problem.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Not surprised of a problem I just don't think you should expect nor slam Victory for not stepping up and fixing it. It is an isolated incident.

These are mechanic things. They have hundreds of moving parts and as such hundreds of parts to put together. There are going to be some that are not put together the same.

Lets talk about AUTHORIZED dealers. I know of 3 bikes that came to me from another dealer that had problems CAUSED by the dealer. This is a HUGE dealership also and you would think by the name they wouldn't make such trivial mistakes BUT it happens.

I'm not going to comment on the exhaust thing because you won't like that answer either. LOL:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
...The front end was never off the bike. The bearings were never repacked...
How do you know? Have you been with the bike since the day it left the factory? The collector could have backed one of his Porsches into his bike and had it fixed. Buying a used bike, even a bone stock one with only 400 miles from a rich car collector, is not a guarantee that it has not be messed with.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sounds like the bike sat too long! Grease and go, and stop your whinin' ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts