Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys need a little help, the wife and i are looking to go the bike rally in helen georgia, we have never been to a rally, some question we have ?should we register, what to expect ? is registering just charity or is there organized rides for your contribution, do we check in or just go hang out and ride? is there like fliers on events? OK ammo jump in anytime me i am off to the gazebo for a beer cheers

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Schlep,
How did you know I would answer?!?

I've been on quite a few dealership sponsored rides but never to a rally. I am a big fan of the charity rides and try to do as many rides as time and money allow but as everyone knows time and money don't always sync. Sometimes you have time, sometimes you have money but you don't always have both at the same time. I actually missed out on a Frosty Balls ride this morning but Mother Nature stepped in and it snowed last night.

I will be going to the Evil Knievel Fest this spring in Butte Montana and am hoping my first rally will be as much fun as the rides have been.

Most rides (and most likely rallies) post their info at participating dealerships and on facebook. And most of them give the ride information including registration details, schedule and ride map. You can also info about most of the major rides in just about every state with the events listings and calendars on motorcyclemonster.com and lets-ride.com.

I noticed looking at both the websites above that Helen GA has a couple of Rallies scheduled this year. The first one is the Victory Rally; is this the one you're planning on going to? If so note that this is sponsored by the Victory Motorcycle Club. They are a good group but if you go and you end up signing up with them make sure you keep coming back to this forum. Both forums are good and have a lot of info but it's good to have access to more than one so you can get more ideas/opinions/assistance when needed.

Just out of curiousity did you build your gazebo? If so did you do it from a kit or plans? My old one fell victim to a micro-burst (Utah version of storm force winds that last 20-30 minutes) so I'm looking a putting in a new one this spring and yours really caught my attention. I'm not sure if the design is what caught me or the possibility of sitting back and having a beer in a gazebo did...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
i am off to the gazebo for a beer cheers
I have a hot tub that I don't use nearly enough anymore. I think I will take your lead and start signing off with ...i am off to the hot tub for a beer (if for nothing else but to get my butt back out there and enjoying it again..cheers)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
What is it with you NC guys and your relaxation retreats? First a gazebo and now a hot tub?!? All I have is 4 concrete blocks inset in my backyard where there should be a place to relax.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was not aware of more than one rally in helen this year, will have to look into that maybe one might be a little better than the other,the victory rally does sound preetie good to me however, no i did not build my gazebo, leanard did! got it on a repo and got a great deal been havin a beer in it every sence, now ndabunka has something there, hot tub, man one of those would go well right next to the gazebo, beer in the hot tub has a ring to it cheers

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is it with you NC guys and your relaxation retreats? First a gazebo and now a hot tub?!? All I have is 4 concrete blocks inset in my backyard where there should be a place to relax.
sounds cool concrete blocks, sit back and have a beer what ever it takes to relaxes you cheers

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK guys need a little help, the wife and i are looking to go the bike rally in helen georgia, we have never been to a rally, some question we have ?should we register, what to expect ? is registering just charity or is there organized rides for your contribution, do we check in or just go hang out and ride? is there like fliers on events? OK ammo jump in anytime me i am off to the gazebo for a beer cheers
Hey Schlep go to http://victoryrally.com for info and registration.I'm leaving western Wyoming on 5-29 for it.Looks like there's another rally of some kind in the area so rooms etc.might be tough to get @the last minute.I throw a tent up,quite a bit of camping in the area.Looks like some organized rides,dinners,vendors live music etc.
Having been a Victory owner for only 5 mos. this will be my 1st Victory rally.I've been to Laconia,Laughlin,Sturgis many times which draw huge crowds,this ones appears to be a good time and nice ride.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Schlep go to http://victoryrally.com for info and registration.I'm leaving western Wyoming on 5-29 for it.Looks like there's another rally of some kind in the area so rooms etc.might be tough to get @the last minute.I throw a tent up,quite a bit of camping in the area.Looks like some organized rides,dinners,vendors live music etc.
Having been a Victory owner for only 5 mos. this will be my 1st Victory rally.I've been to Laconia,Laughlin,Sturgis many times which draw huge crowds,this ones appears to be a good time and nice ride.
OK DTWOR cool info there, the wife and i are planing to go up there, have already checked out the rooms they still have alot right now, i was in the army to long i guess no camping for me i want a bedthumb up, how many miles are you from there me i am just over 400 one way

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK DTWOR cool info there, the wife and i are planing to go up there, have already checked out the rooms they still have alot right now, i was in the army to long i guess no camping for me i want a bedthumb up, how many miles are you from there me i am just over 400 one way
1800 mi. from my door step.I'll press on to the SC coast and down to Fl.I have to be in San Diego by the 8th of June so I'll jump on I10and head west.I have 2 days to get home from So. Cal so will catch US93 @ Las Vegas up to Idaho and back to Wyoming.I'm 59 but with a good air mattress and bag don't mind roughing it for a couple of weeks + it's a whole lot cheaper although I'll splurge and motel it for 2 or 3 nights.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thanks for bringing this to my attention! LOVE Helen, GA area. Fabulous riding all directions. Went up for the Octoberfest and leaf change.

Definately going to talk to some friends about heading up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1800 mi. from my door step.I'll press on to the SC coast and down to Fl.I have to be in San Diego by the 8th of June so I'll jump on I10and head west.I have 2 days to get home from So. Cal so will catch US93 @ Las Vegas up to Idaho and back to Wyoming.I'm 59 but with a good air mattress and bag don't mind roughing it for a couple of weeks + it's a whole lot cheaper although I'll splurge and motel it for 2 or 3 nights.
man i just do not know what to say!!!! if your doing this on your bike, i am a long way from that kind of trip, i thing we will start out just a little closer, ff to the gazebo for a beercheers

·
Registered
130 Posts
man i just do not know what to say!!!! if your doing this on your bike, i am a long way from that kind of trip, i thing we will start out just a little closer, ff to the gazebo for a beercheers
This will be the 3rd year in a row that I've been able to go coast to coast.1st time on a Vic though,Harleys before.Our riding season over here in Wyoming isn't even 6 mos. so have to make the best of it May thru Sept.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This will be the 3rd year in a row that I've been able to go coast to coast.1st time on a Vic though,Harleys before.Our riding season over here in Wyoming isn't even 6 mos. so have to make the best of it May thru Sept.
dam man i have never been coast to coast,on or in anything, did it few times in a plane, i need a beer at the gazebo cheers

·
Registered
154 Posts
I attended the rally in Helen last year - first time and really didn't know what to expect. I was a bit disappointed to be honest, only because I really didn't know anyone there and the rides were not organized or led by the sponsoring group, maybe because of liability or maybe just somethingn else. Don't mean this as a bash of the organizers, the parties are fun and lots to do in the area.But it's nice to know someone there, even if just through this forum.
Having said that, I am planning to be there this year and if anyone wants to get together I'd be glad to go on some of our favorite rides with a few folks from outside the area. Being so close, the GF and I have ridden a lot of the roads up there and love the area. Georgia 60 and 129 are great rides with twisties and sweeps, some nice scenery and lots of options. The ride to Blue Ridge is nice with some good restaurants etc. There are longer rides - early morning to late in the evening, something to suit every taste. I'm certainly not a speed demon, but I have scraped a floor board a time or two.
The Southern Comfort Victory Riders are a group here in the N. Georgia area and I know some of them are on this forum and "the other" forum but I would not presume to speak for any of them, they can chime in if they feel like it.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
OK guys need a little help, the wife and i are looking to go the bike rally in helen georgia, we have never been to a rally, some question we have ?should we register, what to expect ?
Hard to tell as they seem to vary so much from event to event. This is a bit stereotypical, but here goes:

Sport bike rallies are generally comprised of rising early, riding like a bat out of hell for 10-12 hours, stopping at the tent for some prize giveaways and a hot dog, hitting the hay, then repeating.

Touring rallies tend to bring in lots of vendors, there tend to be many organized rides to places of interest. Usually a little geezer oriented with plenty of eateries offering their early bird specials and loads of leather vests with pins and patches.

Cruiser rallies tend to be about waking up late, polishing the machine, taking in a poker run or a bike show, then hitting the bar and partying all night. Live music and breasts are usually hard to miss.

Personally, I always liked the cruiser rallies, because I could get up early and ride like a bat out of hell all day on great roads with little traffic, then party all night.

Keep in mind that there is usually cross pollination at most of these events so chances are there are others there that like to do what you like to do. Part of the fun is finding them.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I will be there with gf. We maybe should figure out a rondevous or even a ride somehwere. There are lots of good roads in the area.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
That's why I'm going depot picker! Maybe you could point me to a nice 2 lane over to the SC coast too.
Last time I rode out of there I was heading to Savannah. Some of the best twisties. Unfortunately I was in the cage. Helen is in the middle of the mountains. There is good riding in any direction. Good hiking too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
great info there saddlebag!!! your hitten my Q right on the button, we were hoping it was more like the touring rally, the venders and some organized rides, but anyway it looks like we are going to give this a shot, we have never let not knowing anybody stand in our way of havin a little fun, but if we could run into some of you guys and take a ride and a few beers at night that put the trip over the top for us, and porchdawg we would ride with anytime, but she will not let me scrape at all :crzy:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've been to the Rally the past 3 years...Mind you this is only their 7th year (I think) of doing it...Still a learning curve going on...With that said..

They have organized rides, they do a poker run every year, there is a group ride over to Smith House for dinner one night...Yes there are groups that go out ride by themselves some FAST some slow....But the 2 guys that put it on (Stuart and Mike) do a GREAT JOB!!!

Last year we did a group ride over to the wheels of time in Maggie Valley and a group ride over to some waterfalls forgot their names...Lots of GREAT riding in the area and GREAT time at night once everybody gets in from the days riding!! cheers There were several groups who just hung out one day and went tubing down the creek instead of riding, just to relax and cool off!! !

Hope you all make it down as it is a great time!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts