Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you folks can help me with some questions about new tires for my 2012 Vic XCT.

1) Current tires (I bought it this way) are Dunlop Elite 3 radial on the front (130/70R-18 63H) and Metzler ME880 on the rear (180/60R-16 74H). I think the ME880 is a bias tire but I'm not sure. Is it wrong to run radial front with bias rear?

2) I am looking at new tires and have always liked Metzler's (ME880's in the past) on my and my wife's bikes. It looks like the latest technology from Metzler is the ME888 which appears to be available in the sizes of the tires currently on the bike (130/70R-18 and 180/60R-16). Your thoughts on these tires? Reasonable choice? Disaster in the making, etc.?

3) The ME888 have some sort of zero angle radial steel wrap but I think this is just marketing hype to get the word "radial" in there. I am pretty sure these are bias tires. Can you confirm that these are, indeed, bias.

4) I have read a bunch of threads about tires and have probably ended up more confused than when I started. Some say that because the stock tires on the Vic XCT are radials, that only radial tires should be used. Others report that bias or radial makes no difference. Rather than just ask which should be used which would undoubtedly just result in echos of the opinions from past threads. let me ask a different question. What are the pros/cons of radial vs. bias on a Vic XCT. I ride 98% one-up and I'm only 175 lbs.

G'day and Thanks,

Vinish

·
Registered
784 Posts
Radials, if you believe the propaganda, are a part of the suspension, bias are not.
That is the crib notes version. Some say a bias suspension can get squirrely if radial tires are used, or is it the other way around :confused:
Anyway,IIRC radials on a bias suspension is bad, the other way not as much but still not optimal.
I don't understand all the bias against bias tires, but understand they should be on the right suspension. Some say the radials last longer, handle better and stop faster, I haven't had this experience with them, but "they" say it.
XCT, XC, and I am sure the other X bikes have a radial tuned suspension. As for the Metzlers, well, you said to leave out opinions. 888's are sold in radial form and the 880's IIRC again, are sold in both.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hope you folks can help me with some questions about new tires for my 2012 Vic XCT.

1) Current tires (I bought it this way) are Dunlop Elite 3 radial on the front (130/70R-18 63H) and Metzler ME880 on the rear (180/60R-16 74H). I think the ME880 is a bias tire but I'm not sure. Is it wrong to run radial front with bias rear?

2) I am looking at new tires and have always liked Metzler's (ME880's in the past) on my and my wife's bikes. It looks like the latest technology from Metzler is the ME888 which appears to be available in the sizes of the tires currently on the bike (130/70R-18 and 180/60R-16). Your thoughts on these tires? Reasonable choice? Disaster in the making, etc.?

3) The ME888 have some sort of zero angle radial steel wrap but I think this is just marketing hype to get the word "radial" in there. I am pretty sure these are bias tires. Can you confirm that these are, indeed, bias.

4) I have read a bunch of threads about tires and have probably ended up more confused than when I started. Some say that because the stock tires on the Vic XCT are radials, that only radial tires should be used. Others report that bias or radial makes no difference. Rather than just ask which should be used which would undoubtedly just result in echos of the opinions from past threads. let me ask a different question. What are the pros/cons of radial vs. bias on a Vic XCT. I ride 98% one-up and I'm only 175 lbs.

G'day and Thanks,

Vinish

I had a 2006 vulcan classic and ran dunlap E3 radial in the front and bias in the rear with no problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts