Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 07 Kingpin a few weeks back and I have some observations/questions...

-The transmission wines a little more than I am used too (long-time Yamaha/Star rider), is this normal? Especially in overdrive or downshifting from 5th to 4th (at aprox. 40 to 35 mph range).
-Love the roll-on-throttle response when accelerating :)
-6th gear RULES on the highway, just loud.
-The bike HATES to go less than 30 mph, it either wines/drones or lugs depending on gear/speed ratio.
-The bike tracks a little wobbly at low speeds, coming up to intersections. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the mufflers and belt-drive being on the same side, not sure.
-The bike is made for the Highway and rides like a dream at 85mh.
-Is a little popping/slight backfire common every now and then on these bikes? One of my other bikes is a tricked out V Star 1100 Classic that popped and farted like crazy until I removed the AIS.

Thanks in advance.

Respects,
Tank

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is your KP stock? Mine is an 04 and is also a bit wobbly at low speed, at first. You'll learn its sweet spot for balance soon. Mine also isn't comfortable under 30. So all that seems normal. I cannot speak for the whine though. These bikes do talk to you a little. Welcome to KP ownership!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Hmmm...I don't have an issue under 30. I don't have any whine either. I have the "clunk" when I shift in the lower gears and I have the valves talking but it's nowhere near as bad as it was during the first few thousand miles. Mine is a '12

I use to have whining but it wasn't necessarily speed related but RPM related and it was my belt alignment. I'd double check the belt and if you've not changed the oil on the bike after buying it I'd do that too.

The exhaust and the drive system being on the right side does throw the balance off a bit but I don't notice that unless I let go of the handle bars.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
-The transmission wines a little more than I am used too Especially in overdrive or downshifting from 5th to 4th (at aprox. 40 to 35 mph range).
If you are using any throttle in the 40 mph range while in 5th or using throttle in the 35 mph while in 4th then you need to be using a lower gear (assuming your gearing is like mine). These bikes do not like throttle under 2,200 RPMs and your bike will let you know it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is your KP stock? Mine is an 04 and is also a bit wobbly at low speed, at first. You'll learn its sweet spot for balance soon. Mine also isn't comfortable under 30. So all that seems normal. I cannot speak for the whine though. These bikes do talk to you a little. Welcome to KP ownership!
Thanks for the response

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm...I don't have an issue under 30. I don't have any whine either. I have the "clunk" when I shift in the lower gears and I have the valves talking but it's nowhere near as bad as it was during the first few thousand miles. Mine is a '12

I use to have whining but it wasn't necessarily speed related but RPM related and it was my belt alignment. I'd double check the belt and if you've not changed the oil on the bike after buying it I'd do that too.

The exhaust and the drive system being on the right side does throw the balance off a bit but I don't notice that unless I let go of the handle bars.
Thanks Rebel, good to know

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
What is the 'cure' ?
Tune it.

The post 2008 bikes have a different throttle body and idle system, so it really hard to tune out.

Most popping is due to:
Exhaust leaks at the header connections
Intake leaks (sucking air someplace)

After that the only thing is tuning. The first step for you is to clean the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I assumed that the dealership cleaned the throttle bodies before I bought it but, "Assumption is the Mother of all screw-ups". I see there is a thread on this forum on how to do it. Again, thanks.

Respects,
Tank

·
Registered
539 Posts
After that the only thing is tuning. The first step for you is to clean the throttle bodies.
When my 04 started popping it was the throttle body. Started idling at higher speed and popping went away after cleaning. Had to adjust the idle back down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts