Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my 2013 crossroads classic for a couple of weeks now. I upgraded from an 05 Vegas 8ball. I've added led lights to it, bag bolts instead of the quick release, lay down bracket on order and an hid headlight installed.
Questions on bike:
Is there a cover or something that goes on the nut for the triple tree?

Is it normal for the bike to say low oil when the ignition is on but the bike isn't running?

If the tach is added on then does the digital rpm still display on the speedometer?

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
I have had my 2013 crossroads classic for a couple of weeks now. I upgraded from an 05 Vegas 8ball. I've added led lights to it, bag bolts instead of the quick release, lay down bracket on order and an hid headlight installed.
Questions on bike:
Is there a cover or something that goes on the nut for the triple tree?

Is it normal for the bike to say low oil when the ignition is on but the bike isn't running?

If the tach is added on then does the digital rpm still display on the speedometer?
No cover on the triple tree lock not--quite an oversight on such a designy bike, huh? I found a plastic bottle cap that will friction fit in that recess and painted it matte black. Looks a lot better.

Yes, the oil light is on what the engine isn't.

You didn't buy my (better and cheaper) laydown bracket. Stand in the corner for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No cover on the triple tree lock not--quite an oversight on such a designy bike, huh? I found a plastic bottle cap that will friction fit in that recess and painted it matte black. Looks a lot better.

Yes, the oil light is on what the engine isn't.

You didn't buy my (better and cheaper) laydown bracket. Stand in the corner for the rest of your life.
Ok thanks for the info on the nut. Yeah definitely looks bad with the exposed nut. Also I'm glad the bike isn't low on oil even though I checked it but glad its normal for that and not bad on my bike. Was looking at your lay down but didn't want to wait on mailing a check.
Thank you for the info
Marko

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Ok thanks for the info on the nut. Yeah definitely looks bad with the exposed nut. Also I'm glad the bike isn't low on oil even though I checked it but glad its normal for that and not bad on my bike. Was looking at your lay down but didn't want to wait on mailing a check.
Thank you for the info
Marko
Now I'm going to miss a payment on my Rolls Royce and it will be repossessed. I hope you're happy with that brand x bracket.:D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I'm going to miss a payment on my Rolls Royce and it will be repossessed. I hope you're happy with that brand x bracket.:D
It's ok. You can pick up a used maybach on the cheap:)

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
It's ok. You can pick up a used maybach on the cheap:)
Not a bad thought. When it requires service, I can pull into the service department and exclaim; Maybach is hurting!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
witchdoctors makes a cover for that nut. looks nice.
yes, the digital tach still works. you can check the other tach
to see if it is right. enjoy your new ride!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
The Low Oil light is a pressure light, not a level light. If that light ever turns on while the engine is running, SHUT IT DOWN as soon as it is safe to do so. If the engine is not running, the oil pump is not pumping and I would expect it to come on. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Low Oil light is a pressure light, not a level light. If that light ever turns on while the engine is running, SHUT IT DOWN as soon as it is safe to do so. If the engine is not running, the oil pump is not pumping and I would expect it to come on. :)
Thanks broggyr, that clears that up for me.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Speaking of oil level, it is checked with the bike vertical, not on the stand. My procedure is to check it when the oil is hot (as one should), wipe off the dipstick, reinsert it and lift the bike off the sidestand to a vertical position and return it to the stand and check the dipstick.

·
13,002 Posts
RICZ
I don't under stand your statement "when oil is hot"
I have checked my oil on many different bikes for thirty years when the oil is cold. If its on the full mark its not going to change if its hot.
Hot oil does not exspand so why do you check oil when its hot.
Not meaning to bash you asking

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Speaking of oil level, it is checked with the bike vertical, not on the stand. My procedure is to check it when the oil is hot (as one should), wipe off the dipstick, reinsert it and lift the bike off the sidestand to a vertical position and return it to the stand and check the dipstick.
I check mine (regardless if it's cold, warm or hot) either before I turn on the engine, either 10 minutes after the engine's been turned off, so all the oil gets a chance to move down and provide an accurate reading.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
RICZ
I have checked my oil on many different bikes for thirty years when the oil is cold. If its on the full mark its not going to change if its hot.
That's my car guy coming through. My 5.7 Hemi holds 7 quarts. Gotta admit it doesn't much matter in a bike. In fact, the oil isn't hot when putting in fresh during a change.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Saw the nut cover for the triple tree. He only shows in chrome but was wanting a black one to match triple tree. $20 is good but $11.77 to ship is a lot. Any other company have this nut cover?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's my car guy coming through. My 5.7 Hemi holds 7 quarts. Gotta admit it doesn't much matter in a bike. In fact, the oil isn't hot when putting in fresh during a change.
What vehicle do u drive w a hemi 5.7?

·
Registered
12,200 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I recently purchased one of those WitchDoctor's Chrome Triple Tree Caps for my 2013 Cross Roads Classic. It looked great, nice and flush with the top of the triple tree, although it was not snug at all. I was pleased that the TT nut was covered...until I took the bike up to speed on the expressway. Poof! The damned thing lifted out of the hole, rolled over the tank and was gone! I am now not pleased as my $20 bill (plus $11 shipping) just blew away in the wind.
Although I am happy with other products purchased from them, I cannot endorse this particular product.

·
Registered
611 Posts
RICZ
I can't say that oil expands or not when it's hot buy any dry sump system requires the level to be checked when hot otherwise you get a false low reading. Or, in the case of filling said dry sump system with fresh oil, you end up seriously overfilling if you don't bring the oil up to temp before checking the level. At best this results in a big mess in the airbox, but I've also seen it result in that oily mess making it's way through the intake and creating a ridiculous cloud of smoke that takes quite a while to clear out. I've heard, though not verified that in some extreme cases head gasket failure has resulted but I suspect there was something else going on in that case and it was just a coincidence.

In any event, the four dry sump vehicles I have all require hot oil to check the level and I have absolutely seen the difference hot oil vs cold oil makes. One of my bikes won't even show oil in the sight glass if it's cold but get it to temp and the level goes all the way to full. Filling to the same level cold requires about an extra 1/2-3/4 of a quart which all ends up in the airbox. The car not only requires hot oil but also needs to be RUNNING at 1200rpm ±100 iirc.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
RICZ
No bashing taken VJ. Another reason for checking oil when its hot is there will be a certain amount still up in the engine that hasn't drained down.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts