Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm actually an Indian owner (2014 Vintage), but I poked my head in here to ask a pretty simple question:

I'm wondering if the oil change procedure on Victorys is similar to what we have on the new Indians?

On the 2014 Indians adding the oil back into the engine is a two step process.

Basically after draining the oil, replacing the filter, and buttoning up the engine again the add oil process is:
1. with the bike on the side stand, add 4.5 quarts of oil.
2. set the bike straight upright (off the side stand), start the bike up and let it run for several minutes, revving up to about 2500 rpm.
3. leave the bike upright and add the final 1 quart of oil.

It's an easy process, but because it's different than what you do with a HD, some dealers aren't adding the oil correctly.

Is the process of adding oil into your Victory bike the same or similar to what I described above?

TIA

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I'm actually an Indian owner (2014 Vintage), but I poked my head in here to ask a pretty simple question:

I'm wondering if the oil change procedure on Victorys is similar to what we have on the new Indians?

On the 2014 Indians adding the oil back into the engine is a two step process.

Basically after draining the oil, replacing the filter, and buttoning up the engine again the add oil process is:
1. with the bike on the side stand, add 4.5 quarts of oil.
2. set the bike straight upright (off the side stand), start the bike up and let it run for several minutes, revving up to about 2500 rpm.
3. leave the bike upright and add the final 1 quart of oil.

It's an easy process, but because it's different than what you do with a HD, some dealers aren't adding the oil correctly.

Is the process of adding oil into your Victory bike the same or similar to what I described above?

TIA
Not the same on Victory. We're supposed to add our oil on the side stand. Your procedure sounds like it's trying to avoid trapping air and giving a false higher reading of oil level. That being said, there were a few fellas here who managed to get too much oil in their motors, so adapting the Indian procedure might help us Victory riders. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I think a lot of the new Indian dealers are hiring old HD mechanics... who are stuck in their ways and think they know it all, and refuse to follow the correct procedure.

Again, thanks!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I think a lot of the new Indian dealers are hiring old HD mechanics... who are stuck in their ways and think they know it all, and refuse to follow the correct procedure.

Again, thanks!
There are a handful of Victory mechanics across the country that have earned our trust. Most of the rest are average and then there are some butchers dressed up as eye surgeons.

Best mechanic for your bike is you. You'll never lie to yourself, overcharge yourself, or cut corners when working on your own bike. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a handful of Victory mechanics across the country that have earned our trust. Most of the rest are average and then there are some butchers dressed up as eye surgeons.

Best mechanic for your bike is you. You'll never lie to yourself, overcharge yourself, or cut corners when working on your own bike. ;)
I agree completely.

I was recently on a long ride from Colorado down into Florida and up the eastern seaboard.. I hit the 10K mark on my bike and so stopped at a dealer to get the service done.

When I got home I found that either not enough oil was put in at the dealer, or my new engine is suddenly burning oil at a rate of 1 quart in 1500 miles..

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
That right there should be made into a locked stickie.

·
13,003 Posts
someone told me you use 5 1/2 quarts in the Indian and you have two drain plugs.

Is there magnet on the end of the drain plug?

I'm guessing you can go 5 thousand miles between changes.

Wounder why Vic/Indian can't figure out a way to check oil on side stand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
someone told me you use 5 1/2 quarts in the Indian and you have two drain plugs.

Is there magnet on the end of the drain plug?

I'm guessing you can go 5 thousand miles between changes.

Yeah the 2 drain plugs is kind of weird. The plugs have magnets at the end - I would image we use the same drain plug you guys do.

Anyway we go 5000 miles between changes. It's an awesome running bike - the best bike I've ever owned...

The dealer that did the change is saying that they aren't at fault (of course...) and that my bike must be burning oil... but I've not seen any sign of that. Anyway I drove up to my nearest Indian dealer and picked up an oil change kit and am about to do the change. I'll be measuring the amount of oil I get out of it and will be keeping a close watch on the oil level for the next few thousand miles at least.

About checking the oil on the side stand... you guys deal with that too? Kind of a PIA, but it is what it is I suppose.

Anyway thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The Ingins are a semi-dry sump. Does that mean its a moist sump?:ltr: That changes the way you refill it.thumb upcheers

·
Registered
679 Posts

Probably because the angle of the bike on the sidestand changes with variables. (how much air in the rear shock, how much weight in the saddle bags or truck ect.) Where as check oil with the bike vertical, it is idiot proof.thumb up

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Again, thanks!
Boy, the HD guys get blamed for everything...seems kind of unfair, unless you KNOW they did it. :rolleyes:

Interesting post though.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have a 2004 Vegas.

I've never drained so much oil from a bike. Adding 6 qrts is mind boggling.

The plastic dip stick is worthless.

I look at it this way! I do 6, after changing filter, adding oil, and seeing no leaks, I don't worry about it. I'll check oil a couple of times a month.

Also, I don't have to worry about getting to the radiator cap, flushing coolant, and trying to add it without getting bubbles in there.

·
13,003 Posts
guess the bottom on the Indian motor isn't flat. I'm shocked at how much oil that doesn't sound right

·
Registered
100 Posts
Amazing that an experienced mechanic would not take a quick look at an owners or shop manual, especially if not very familiar with that model.

I would even think that for the bikes that are serviced regularly in your shop, you might have common specs. posted or quickly available.

Guess that's too much to ask.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Confirmed from manual-

Check oil fully upright @ operating temp.

Approx. 5.5 quarts needed..

2 drain plugs- "scavenge and storage area drain plugs"

That's a lotta ground up dino meat.

from page 85 (on paper, pg 87 on pdf)

11. Remove the dipstick. Add only 4.5 qts. (4.25 l) of the
recommended oil at this step.​
Do not overfill.

12. Reinstall the dipstick securely.
13. With the motorcycle in an upright, centered position,
start the engine and run it at varied speeds up to 2500
RPM for approximately 3 minutes.
14. Stop the engine and add an additional one quart (.95 l)
of engine oil. Do not overfill. Overfilling can result in
loss of engine performance and an oil-saturated air
filter. Use a suction device to remove excess oil if​
overfilled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts