Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems I bombed my own "boring tale" thread going offtrack with the Dealership Run today, all the bike pix are there but just so I don't get the shits with me for putting cars on my boring tale Vegas thread , here's a fresh one.
If you don't have any interest in old automobile just skip this thread, but if you do then enjoy....

First up, a couple of very different methods of feeding a hot Holden six, firstly the traditional triple sidedraught Webers, and then a custom one off setup utilising two Rootes blowers off Jap cars on a saimesed intake.
Very innovative.
Next the engine bay of a Studebaker Hawk with its Paxton blown V8.
Now a four cylinder, the Nissan engine of the Datsun 2000 sports car, note the Fuel Injection, done know if it's original equipment, first time I've seen the engine in one of these.
Finally a Mopar small block, the first to make an appearance in an Aussie car the 1965 AP6 Chrysler Valiant Regal V8 , namely the 273ci,
Basis for the 318, 340, 360 small block family of engines.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Í like the picture 1445
What is that engine ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
12,983 Posts
Cool stuff. Nice to see 6 cylinders being built up

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I think most of us like this "Car" stuff as we are fellow motorheads to one degree or another. I admire the originality, the thinking, the engineering, the skills that go into car and bike builds. Post away.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think most of us like this "Car" stuff as we are fellow motorheads to one degree or another. I admire the originality, the thinking, the engineering, the skills that go into car and bike builds. Post away.
You asked for it!
'64 EH Holden Ute, that's the triple Webers one.
1948 the 48-215 or FX as they're called, F experimental, an old GM design adapted for OZ with obvious Buick influence, grey 132 engine is like a little straight 8 but a straight 6.
And a Triumph Spitfire sports car...nice!
And a Marcos?...in Gulf Racing colours......

Attachments

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Nice rides, all of them, but especially the Spitfire. I have a soft spot in my heart for Triumphs and Alfas and Fiat 124 Syders and.....

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Utes

Wish they still sold Utes here. Here they were called the Chevy El Cameno and the Ford Ranchero, say car in Espaniol, I believe carro. Could very well be wrong on the Spanish word for car, or should I say car-truck. I had a big-block 1971 El Cameno years ago.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Í like the picture 1445
What is that engine ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk
I cant see any numbers mate, how many pictures down?

AHHH yes I can when I put my cursor over it.
that a Holden six 202 cubes, known as a Red motor, and ranged in size from 138 to 202 cube

·
Registered
33 Posts
1445 is the 2nd pic down

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
One of the Alfas I had back in the era of muscle cars was a box stock GTV and on the back window I had lettered "You have been passed by 96 cubic inches." A lot of 302s to 455s got to see that sign, especially when the road got curvy.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drove both an MX 5 and a RX8, both different GFs cars at the time,
I had total permission to drive them hard, the cars not the girls, though I did both :devil
MX 5 was up Springbook Rd around midnight, a very winding uphill haul, very satisfying drive, car lacked grunt thought, there's a company here fitting Lexus V8s to them with the ultimate a blown version, now that would be a driving experience.
The other was the Mazda RX8, another great handler with plenty of poke when stirred up! Reminded me of my old air cooled RD350 2-stroke in power delivery x20
Gave it a hard launch in a straight line and was dissapointed somewhat, then later I enquired if the thing had traction control? She said it had stability control?
I got the book out of the gloves, found the switch and turned it off.
Found a straight stretch of deserted road. Wound it up to 9000rpm and dumped the clutch.
All hell broke loose! Beeeep, slam second, more smoke and twitchiness. Beeeep! Third.. Yeah they go better with the switch off :grin
On a winding road with traction control on I don't think anything much would come close to it.
Anyway here's a few more pix
No mx5s or rx8s or gtv's amongst em

Studebaker Hawk with Paxton blower.
A9X Torana
Brockys A9X Raceway (won Bathurst by 6 laps!)
HQ Monaro, (308 Holden or 350 Chev? both available in these cars, 2door or 4 as this example)
Lots of Aussie Muscle has 4 doors, in an era of expensive air travel and unrestricted speed limits, perfect for travelling long distance for the interstate holiday.
And a Hemi 265 6pack(triple Webers) Charger, with a very unusual stripe package.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sexy-est arses in the show belong to the Mopars,
In particular this 6 Pack Valiant Charger in the striking colour of Magenta.
Though these tall ladies came awful close :devil
Sadly you only get to see the front shot
Did I say sadly!
Next!
Here's "Big Rev" Kev, Kevin Bartlett with his channel 9 Camaro that took on the mountain at Bathurst and got inverted coming out of the cutting.
Sitting on its roof in the middle of the track it became the now famous channel 6 Camaro!
Now repaired it's in the hands of the Bowden family along with another 60+ examples of historic racecars, mainly Aussie stuff, heritage machinery.
Bowdens developed a range of Aussie car car products when to their horror they discovered what the big name products actually are and contain, but I've said too much already.
The A9X in previous pix belongs to them now, along with all Moffats Phase 1,2,3 and stillborn Phase 4 GTHO Ford Falcons.
If you ever lucky enough to visit Australia try and get to see the Bowden Collection.
It's not easy though, you need to be a member of a car club and arrange a visit through the club.
Or buy a bucket if their car care products, can be used on bikes, it's all I use these days on mine or other vehicles that are in my care or restoration.
Yet another sexy arse Mopar. Aussie style '64 AP5 Valiant.
Same arse as my AP6 but different fronts.
Arse is to Ass as Tyres is to Tires, youse blokes spell things funny, though the funniest is hitting the breaks to stop then worrying if something brakes!
Anyway enough division, we are all in this together.
Next!.... What's next?... I'll look!
Ok part of the RACQ display and it was them that hosted the show at Eagle Farm Racecourse, horse racing of course. Not those vulgar fossil fuel petroleum burning dinosaurs, thank you very much....horse racing the sport of kings.....so they say.
An original RACQ, Royal Auromobile Club Queensland
road service vehicle.
Brakes down in 1957 and it's very likely this van driven by your friendly RACQ mechanic would get you going again with a quick roadside repair (remember them? open up the points, or a can of fuel and you were on your way)
These days a tow truck would probably be called if it wasn't a flat battery or out of juice.
Flat tyres now modern cars don't carry spares!
Progress? I think not....
Anyway this FJ Holden panelvan or sedan delivery to you would be there to help RACQ members or you could join up on the spot.
This van would be from 53-56 the span of the FJ model run, powered by a 132.5 cube grey motor, 3 speed manual on the column.
Lots of these vans ended up as shaggin wagons, sin bins, or fk trucks as they were affectionately known.
Mattress in the back, curtains, metalworkers purple, hot engine with triple SU carbs, lowered with wide chrome wheels and a floor shift gear conversion.
The ultimate!......Park in backwards at the drive in movies.
Remember them?
We still got one up the road a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Drive-In movies--also known as Passion Pits and Finger Bowls. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts