Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a tire expert so I wonder what the benefit is to putting a bias ply tire on the front and a radial on the back.

The Hard ball was that way, now the XR 8 ball is that way, but the XC 8 ball has radial both front and rear.

All my bikes have been either, but not mixed. What's the benefit? The $$ isn't that much different.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'm not a tire expert so I wonder what the benefit is to putting a bias ply tire on the front and a radial on the back.

The Hard ball was that way, now the XR 8 ball is that way, but the XC 8 ball has radial both front and rear.

All my bikes have been either, but not mixed. What's the benefit? The $$ isn't that much different.
My guess is they had an issue running a radial E3 with a tube on the spoked front rim on the HB and LE. Don't see a lot of radials on spoked wheel bikes, though they use the E3 on the rear of those bikes.

If you believe everything you read on the internet, mixing up tires like that is a recipe for instant death, but I haven't seen any recalls on those bikes or the Triumph Speedmaster which runs a bias ply on the rear and a radial up front.

Anyway, I think it's a typo. Their webpage is a cluster right now. Hopefully, it will improve over time. Every picture of the XR 8 ball shows it running an E3 up front.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Radial rear and bias front is OK.
Radial front and bias rear is a no no...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyway, I think it's a typo. Their webpage is a cluster right now. Hopefully, it will improve over time. Every picture of the XR 8 ball shows it running an E3 up front.
You are correct, all the pics show an E3. The E3 does come in a bias, but the website says its an Elite II, not a E3. The tread patterns are totally different.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Metzeler Catalog Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING TIRE UPGRADES
Mixing radial rear tires and bias ply front tires is allowed only when fitting the proper custom width wheels for the tire application. (see application chart) OR when fitted by a custom manufacturer (i.e. American Ironhorse).
FITTING RADIAL FRONT TIRES IN COMBINATION WITH BIAS PLY REAR TIRES
IS NEVER ALLOWED!

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
My XC gets squrrelly on bias-plys. I have a set of bias-plys on now with only 3,000 miles and ordered radials to replace them. (which I'll probably change over tomorrow).
Way back I replaced the OEM tires with Commander II's(bias) and the bike developed a wobble, especially in long turns. I switched to radial Avon Cobras and never experienced the problem again. Until....I bought the rear bias-ply tire I have on now by mistake, so I put a front bias-ply on to match it. Yep, the wobble returned.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Good to know.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I’ve ran two sets of commander II’s so far on my CCT and do not plan on changing to another brand. My bike hasn’t self destructed yet running these bias ply tires for over 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I’ve ran two sets of commander II’s so far on my CCT and do not plan on changing to another brand. My bike hasn’t self destructed yet running these bias ply tires for over 40,000 miles.
Someone in this thread must take their turns real slow......... :grin:ltr:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Try to follow me!

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
My XC gets squrrelly on bias-plys. I have a set of bias-plys on now with only 3,000 miles and ordered radials to replace them. (which I'll probably change over tomorrow).
Way back I replaced the OEM tires with Commander II's(bias) and the bike developed a wobble, especially in long turns. I switched to radial Avon Cobras and never experienced the problem again. Until....I bought the rear bias-ply tire I have on now by mistake, so I put a front bias-ply on to match it. Yep, the wobble returned.
I wonder how much of that is due to suspension set-up and fall away tension. Do you use different pressure in the bias ply tires and the radials? Do you change shock preload?

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I wonder how much of that is due to suspension set-up and fall away tension. Do you use different pressure in the bias ply tires and the radials? Do you change shock preload?
I adjust air shock pressure for load and run 15w fork oil. I've tried different levels of pressure in the rear, higher will stay the wobble somewhat but its still there on bias-plys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts