Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which works best on the Cross Country Tour Bikes ? Just trying to get some opinions...I'm leaning toward the Michelin Commander II.

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
Can't answer re the Michelins, but Cross bikes love Avon Cobras and Avon Cobras love Cross bikes back.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I looked at the Avon Cobras for a long time and still may consider them. They had some impressive stats on their performance.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ricz did you go with the bigger size on the rear. Like a 180/65--16 ? Instead of the 180/60--16

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
Ricz did you go with the bigger size on the rear. Like a 180/65--16 ? Instead of the 180/60--16
I stayed with the stock sizes for quicker turn-in.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK ! ! I'm going with stock size tires and the Avon Cobra's...Thanks

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
OK ! ! I'm going with stock size tires and the Avon Cobra's...Thanks
40 psi front, 42 psi rear and let us know what you think of them.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I just couldnt bite off the cost of the radials when I had to replace. I found a pair of Continental I liked the tread pattern on. So far I like them, still figuring out what pressures are working best after a year. I think I was a bit high @ 41 to start as the center looked like it was wearing a bit fast. Biggest thing I had to keep in mind was the weight rating. I would have went with a Shinko radial, but the weight rating was not high enough.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My bike chewed through an Avon Cobra in less than 12k miles. Switched to Dunlop E4 and still has some meat at 16k. People say the Avon is grippier, I couldn't tell a difference.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
After the stock tires wore I switched to the Michelin Commander II's ...they were okay but on the bias ply tires the bike developed higher speed stability problems. In long, fast turns my bike would "wallow" where it used to be very stable. After those Michelin Commander II's I put on a set of Avon Cobra's and they blew me away. The Cobra's are going to be what run on my XC until I don't have it anymore....In fact, I have a set with me right now waiting to go on :)

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
12k miles ? I never ever made that with a rear tire .... Pfffff

8 to 10 k kilometers ONLY ...

On my CCT i have big chicken stripes

On my Jackpot VERRY small chicken stripes ( 5 milimeter or so )

That will indicate the AWSOMNESS of steel frame bikes cornering .....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mileage in a tire doesn't mean squat to me. I want a tire to GRIP the road in a hard turn and can handle all road conditions. It's your life riding on those tires !

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Mileage in a tire doesn't mean squat to me. I want a tire to GRIP the road in a hard turn and can handle all road conditions. It's your life riding on those tires !
Get a set Avon Cobra's.....You'll actually be able to use the full capability of the big Vic's handling envelope.

·
Registered
321 Posts
For hopefully longer mileage I am trying out a set of Dunlop HD American Elites. Rear comes with 11/32's of tread, vs the stock 9/32's. 180/65R16 rear and 130/70R 18 front.
Rear tire is taller than stock. No clearance issues. Heavier GVWR than stock. Now 5,000 miles down the road on Bias ply with 1 tire plug installed from nail puncture during first week/100 miles of riding. Tires have later turn in than E3 Radials that came with bike. Handing is fine but not as good as radial tire. Much heavier tire than stock. Takes a little longer to warm up. Rubber will last as long or longer than stock 10K miles for me. People on HD routinely get 15-18K miles on these tires. Why I tried them. R tread down 3/32 in 5K. Your mileage may vary. :^)

·
Registered
556 Posts
After roaring through two Avons on the rear of my Deluxe, I decided to look elsewhere. Went with Metzler and gained some improvement in mileage. When I changed the rear on my CC there was no hesitation, I went with the Elite. Found grip and handling to be comparable to the Avons but the mileage difference was substantial.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Which works best on the Cross Country Tour Bikes ? Just trying to get some opinions...I'm leaning toward the Michelin Commander II.
I'm ordering my 3rd set of commander II's this Fall. won't ride on anything else. I tour on my Cross Country tour. Not canyon carving in the mountains. 20K mileage on rear tire alone!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'm ordering my 3rd set of commander II's this Fall. won't ride on anything else. I tour on my Cross Country tour. Not canyon carving in the mountains. 20K mileage on rear tire alone!

I have 17k miles on my rear Commander II...getting close to changing it. Thinking about trying the E4’s next. I also get a bit of wobble in high speed turns, that I never got with the stock tires.

I refuse to be part of any group that would have me as a member.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
17K to 20K easily on my rear E4's. So far I have over 23K (yes, 23K) on my front Dunlop RoadSmart II rear tire mounted backwards up front. It's a 160/60 and also has the Dunlop MT tread technology to match the rear. At 23K miles, it still looks nearly new. No interest what so ever in going back to the oem front tire size.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
17K to 20K easily on my rear E4's. So far I have over 23K (yes, 23K) on my front Dunlop RoadSmart II rear tire mounted backwards up front. It's a 160/60 and also has the Dunlop MT tread technology to match the rear. At 23K miles, it still looks nearly new. No interest what so ever in going back to the oem front tire size.
Heyyyy i also have 160/60 on my Jack-Hammer, and sadly backwards .... Can i ask why you put the front backwards ? As far as i understood the groves doesnt disperse the rain water as good as normal mounted tires ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 20 of 51 Posts