Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
newbie here so forgive me if this has been addressed deep in other threads....but has anyone else had issues with their Victory radios?

I have a new 2012 CCT and it's the damndest thing....the radio works fine in FM mode whether standing still or moving. The AM band works fine if you're standing still, but as soon as you spin up to speed the reception crackles and pops and is really unuseable. First thing I thought of was some bad connector or wiring, but that wouldn't explain why it works fine in FM anytime and AM if I'm standing still.

Dealer was not aware of this as a known issue so I thought I'd appeal to this group...any ideas?

mcnor

·
Registered
545 Posts
Electromagnetic interference (EMI, also called radio frequency interference - RFI) is a disturbance that affects an electrical circuit due to either electromagnetic induction or electromagnetic radiation emitted from an external source... if it is not created by a fault in the ECM take the wires that lead to the radio and separate them from the rest of the wiring harness and then twist and wrap them... straight unwrapped wires act as antennas. Take a complete twist at the ends then all along the lengths... they can be wrapped in any type of shielding, usually rubber with aluminum foil shield... you can strip down a tv cable wire and use it if you're careful.

I'm impressed with your dealer... he didn't fall back on the Polaris/Victory "that's normal" for this model excuse... however he did not show much knowledge either. This type of interference has been around for ages and is a common problem with motorcycle radios which are installed where the wires are arranged in such a way as to pick up the interference... sometimes all it takes is changing the location of the wires in the harness.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts