Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got caught in the rain last night and pulled off for a bit and grabbed a shake while the heavy downpour blew past. After about a mile when I got back on with it still drizzling the highbeam indicator light came on but faintly. If I toggled the high beam it became a lot more vivid like normal.

The light did go off for a few minutes but came back on. I put the LED Headlight in last week and this is my first time with that in the rain.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Really is surprising how many people have issues with the electronics in these bikes when it rains. You would think Ma Vic would have tested that out.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I can't help with your specific problem but I do agree that there was some shoddy engineering done by Polaris related to rain/water resistance.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Vinnish I inow you have never had issues with your VTX in the rain! I never did. This bikes in wet weather are a problem. What I do when I am in the electronics area is dielelectric grease everything.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did put dielectric on the high and low beam connectors when putting the led in.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
i am talking about the switches as well. that is where the issue is i beleive. water, mositure gets in there on the contacts. Vic could have prevented a lot of these issues by slapping some dielectric on the switches durinbg mfg but i am sure it is a cost issue.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It might be ALL electrical connections and parts that need a dab of dielectric grease (DG). Certainly as I have has anything electrical apart, I have reinstalled with DG in the connectors both at the device being powered (e.g. the headlight) as well as any intermediate connectors. On the rare situations where I am accessing a switch, I have put DG in those. One of the possible problems (although less likely) is at the wire to pin crimps where wires enter connectors. It would be a real pain in the a$$ to remove all of these pins from their respective connectors and reinstall with DG present.

I've had issues with my ABS light coming on in the rain (indicating that the ABS had ceased to function as well as my low beam headlight going out. This happened at night but fortunately, my high beam still worked. I rode the remaining 10 miles home with the high beams on and got a lot of cars flashing their brights at me.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's really bad we have to even consider it.

Especially at the switches those should be waterproof. Even harley figured out not having things short in the rain years ago. Not like waterproof connectors and rubber gaskets are a new idea.

Some how my sportbike that cost half as much has survived much harder rains without even a hint of an issue.

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
Yeah it sucks, I consider a Vic a high end bike and one I can ride rain or shine.
Not game to wash mine!
Ive dielectriced anything accesible and payed much attention to the connections for the regulator that is in a ridiculous position copping water from the front wheel.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Keep an eye on your voltage meter. Mine did this same thing just before my voltage regulator **** the bed. May have nothing to do with it, but keep that in mind.

·
13,002 Posts
I have had my switch housing a part. Was shocked to see cheap plastic switches. The grease will help but in the long run its just plain cheap switches

1 - 10 of 10 Posts