Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an idea that I can claim as my very own, as I have never seen this anywhere else. I am confident that it might very well catch on and be a real positive thing for anyone who shares my concerns. A little background....

I did a tremendous amount of cross-country touring on my 1600 Vulcan Nomad. In doing so, I inevitably on occasion had to ride through monsoon thunderstorms or sustained periods of rain. While it usually sucked, being prepared and having the right gear to deal with it made it suck less. My Nomad had a large shield, oversized lowers, hand deflectors and engine guard chaps that made for a pretty good fortress against the elements. No water ever penetrated my inner dash space and simply traveled over or around my protective bubble.

Fast forward to my first ride through wet stuff on my new XCT last July while crossing Lost Trail Pass from Montana into Idaho......

As all of you XCT owners know, the windscreen on this bike sits a tad off of the fairing and sports a great big opening in the bottom center. I understand the design concept, as it allows for an even flow of air on both sides of the shield to reduce buffeting. However, on my first XCT experience in the rain, I was shocked and very unprepared for how much water runs up the fairing and intrudes into my personal space via that center opening and under the shield itself. I mean it covered my gauges to the point I could not read them (my dash was filthy after the fact), and I had water gurgling around my face the entire time. Compared to the rain protection of my Vulcan Nomad...this was epic FAIL.

I started looking around at what I had in the garage, and it was as if the heavens opened up and the angels started singing....the answer was so damn simple I could not believe it. I started by cutting a piece of pipe insulation just large enough to shove up under the center opening. It is like foam and contours to whatever shape it is fit into. In three seconds flat this opening was completely sealed off. Next, I cut a couple lengths of 1/2" backer rod and slipped them under both the left and right lower edges of the shield, blocking off that small little gap that runs the length of the windscreen. VOILA! Total time to "rain-proof" this windscreen was about 1 minute. They are solidly in place and will not move even at high speeds. In hindsight...I had previously added some chrome door edge molding to the top edge of my fairing behind the windscreen (you can just see it in the last pic), so that helps to hold the backer rod in place as well. You might try 3/4" backer rod as well....that will really make for a tight fit.

The greatest part of all this is that you just pull these right back out and store them in your trunk, with maybe some rubber bands keeping them together or something when the sunshine returns. When you see rain again, a quick stop to insert your foam window-dressing and you are off to the races! You can install or uninstall these things in mere seconds, and for the time you are riding in a torrential downpour, you will find the ride sucks far less than before this little trick came across your computer screen...cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Excellent. Hell, superglue an "altered" Victory Logo on the thang (change the logo a little), and then sell them puppies for $49.95! LOL

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent. Hell, superglue an "altered" Victory Logo on the thang (change the logo a little), and then sell them puppies for $49.95! LOL
LOL....don't think I hadn't thought about it...:D!

·
Premium Member
13,054 Posts
Wrap 'em in vinyl then apply the logo of the customers choice and sell 'em for $99.99. :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great idea! Have you had a chance to give it a road test yet?
Tomorrow will be the wet test. I ran around late last week and they solidly stayed put, but in the morning I have to ride about an hour to the dealership and it is supposed to be raining. I'm just thrilled I discovered an incredibly simple way to block the openings that were allowing water to encroach into my personal space. Now, the water should be moved the the outer edge of the faring where it can slip past me rather than come up through and under the shield. The fact that these can be installed or removed in mere seconds is icing on the cake. It just HAS to be an improvement. I'll report my findings after my run tomorrow...thumb up.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Leave it to someone from the Pacific Northwet to come up with such an idea! Congrats!

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I never really rode with the stock tour screen. I just removed it immediately. I have ridden through quite a bit of rain and I was surprised to hear about your experience. I have the MadStad and I do not have those issues. I wonder if it is simply the cutout or the bigger issue of too much negative pressure behind the shield pulling the water into your space. Very interesting and thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I am over-reacting to the whole water-on-my-dash issue, but I don't think so considering my previous experience with my Vulcans. At any rate...made a long run through some pretty wet stuff today and this simple fix made a HUGE difference. To quote old Charlie Sheen....it's....uhhh.....WINNING...cheers!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not so worried about the rain as the little stones and bugs that come though and hit me in the face. I've even had one hit me in the eye with a face shield and glasses on. So I'm not a real fan of the opening in the windshield. I an replacing the stock xct windshield with a 13" flip shield.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts