Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to figure out how to adjust the right cluster (cylinder and brake lever), to get it leveled. I thought I loosened up all the screws but still won't turn to get it leveled. The left cluster was painless but the right side seems to be a little tricky. It's probably something simple so if you could share your knowledge, I would certainly appreciate. Take care and ride safe...

AL

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
It should just rotate like the clutch side ? Is it hitting the throttle housing ?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I can't seem to figure out how to adjust the right cluster (cylinder and brake lever), to get it leveled. I thought I loosened up all the screws but still won't turn to get it leveled. The left cluster was painless but the right side seems to be a little tricky. It's probably something simple so if you could share your knowledge, I would certainly appreciate. Take care and ride safe...

AL
There is a hole in the handlebar and a pin in the housing that engages in it. That is how I remember it. I guess you will have to drill a fresh hole in the bars or file off the pin if you want to rotate the brake lever. It was a WTF moment for me when I saw it.

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
There is a hole in the handlebar and a pin in the housing that engages in it. That is how I remember it. I guess you will have to drill a fresh hole in the bars or file off the pin if you want to rotate the brake lever. It was a WTF moment for me when I saw it.
I filed off the pin with a die grinder when I fitted my BURLEIGH BARS
then you can adjust the controls to exactly where you like them

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
For bikes that have the pin there are two pre-drilled holes in the bars, one for the low and the other for the high bar positions.
I was glad that when I moved my bars, the clamps weren't pinned and I could fine tune the control positions.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I just encountered this EXACT problem. The issue was NOT the the pins that others have mentioned. These pins are on the switch box housings and do not influence the rotation of the perches upon which the clutch and brake levers are installed. Instead, if you loosen the two pinch bolts on the underside of the perch clamp, the perches should rotate.

My clutch lever rotated without a problem but my brake lever would not budge. The problem turned out to be that the bottom part of the brake lever perch clamp was very tight against the handlebar. Even after I removed the two pinch bolts completely and removed the perch, the bottom of this perch clamp would not budge on the handlebar. I had to tap it with a rubber mallet to release it from the handlebar.

During reinstallation, I put some silicone lubricant inside this perch clamp piece and then did not tighten it fully until it was rotated into the position I wanted. Then, I tightened the two pinch bolts to the specified torque.

For you, loosen the pinch bolts a lot and try using a block of wood or something to jar loose the lower perch clamp piece. If that fails, remove the perch completely to allow access to the lower perch clamp piece and then you can remove it and lube it like I did.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I knew there was more to it but...

WOW....I was having trouble over a stinking pin, WTF moment is right. But hey guys, I appreciate it once again, I will look into it and I try not to file out the pin if I can help it but I'm ready if needed be. I know one thing, I definitely need to adjust the brake lever coz it's killing me each time I reach down for it. I love the raised bars and sticking to it... Also funny that they put a pin on the brake lever side and not on the clutch lever side, go figure. Take care and ride safe...

AL

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The reason they put the pin on the throttle side is so the whole housing doesn't twist when you turn the throttle. I recommend drilling a another hole in the bars before filing off the pin.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
The reason they put the pin on the throttle side is so the whole housing doesn't twist when you turn the throttle. I recommend drilling a another hole in the bars before filing off the pin.
I dremeled off that pin almost immediate years ago on my XC when I modified the housing to accept HD grips I had and then on the KP when I changed bars a few months ago. So far I haven't had any trouble with anything twisting.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I dremeled off that pin almost immediate years ago on my XC when I modified the housing to accept HD grips I had and then on the KP when I changed bars a few months ago. So far I haven't had any trouble with anything twisting.
I'm not saying it will twist but there is potential if you don't get the housing tight enough or if it loosens off. Once you cut the pin there is no going back and it's real easy to just drill a new hole to be on the safe side. I redrilled the hole on mine and it was extremely easy after I marked the spot with a punch...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided to leave the pin alone...

After I took everything apart, I saw the pin that lines up with the hole. I left it alone and instead, I just adjusted the brake lever like I originally intended to do. The bottom part of the clutch clamp was on there so tight that I had to tap it with a hammer to loosen it like mentioned on here to do, then I was able to make the adjustment. Thanks again for sharing your experiences and now my hands are much comfortable. Take care and ride safe...

AL

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
After I took everything apart, I saw the pin that lines up with the hole. I left it alone and instead, I just adjusted the brake lever like I originally intended to do. The bottom part of the clutch clamp was on there so tight that I had to tap it with a hammer to loosen it like mentioned on here to do, then I was able to make the adjustment. Thanks again for sharing your experiences and now my hands are much comfortable. Take care and ride safe...

AL
Yep, like I said - the pin on the switchbox housing only prevents the switchbox from rotating. It does not prevent the lever perches from rotating. Glad it worked out for you.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
I'm curious about rotating my bars up. Does anyone have a pic of what it would look like?
Not sure if this is what youre after but the CrossRoads I test rode either had the bars cranked up or aftermarket bars.
I suspect theyd been cranked up cos it puts the wrists on strange angles....rideable but for how long I dunno, I just took it for a half hour blat thru the hills behind Nerang.
My local Vic dealer who did a couple of services on this very same bike seemed to think they are Burleigh bars and that the previous woman owner was quite short and these bars were laid back more when she owned it.
Anyway it may give you some idea....best way to know for sure is loosen yours and crank em up and take some pix for us.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts