Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This would be an example of a Club bike. Think what you want about the Cheezy TV show and the wannabes that came with it, but this style of bike is a lot of fun to ride.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I was just teasing anyways. I had a Wide Glide as my first cruiser and it was a fun bike to ride. I just love stirring the pot.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I'm interested in hearing this answer as well. I am desperate for some more cornering clearance. The Vic motor helps with the transition from sportbikes, but the cornering is killing me!
Yeah still wondering about the specifics....
Cmon fess up.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I ended up going to the 1/2" longer shock from the Vegas/Kingpin. It was a much better ride and cornering as I had 1-1/2" higher rear end height. Since that was the originally designed rear height, the steering and overall balance of the bike felt quicker and more natural.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I ended up going to the 1/2" longer shock from the Vegas/Kingpin. It was a much better ride and cornering as I had 1-1/2" higher rear end height. Since that was the originally designed rear height, the steering and overall balance of the bike felt quicker and more natural.
Vegas had two shock lengths eye to eye
355mm and 368mm
368mm is the longest shock I can find available for a steel grame VIctory, I went to a 'Progressive' brand shock in the 368mm length.
With the sag setup on the stiff side thats the best I can get my Vegas.
Is the 368mm what youre running?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
penske direct

when i called Penske directly the tech said only a 1/2" longer shock would work on my 13 hammer, if i remember correctly shock rod travel was longer as well. i opted for a separator, said to help handling with spirited riding. as for tyres i highly recommend the Pirelli night dragon's, they transformed the handling. other sporty tyres that will help as well. i was surprised when my buddy got 10,000 miles out of a set on his road queen, knowing him they were not totally bald. he said they handled better at 10,000 than several other top brand tires he used so far, put on another set for sure!!!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
MotorbikerX,

So I ran into a problem, I ordered up the Race Tech front springs for my Judge and they aren't even close to the same length. I'll try posting a pic here in a second, but they are about 9" difference in length? Did someone screw up and get me the wrong spring? Any insight would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I belive racetech recommends there own spacer listed on there site
RT - Digital Product Search

Comments

Requires (2) FPSS 03 Spacers

another trick we used on our dirt squirts in the 70's was to machine a spacer and put it under the dampening rod and use a longer bolt
ie 20mmlong spacer and a 20mm longer bolt this lifts the front 20mm (prob 15 when you take rake into consideration)

Do only at your own risk..

I orderd my wilbers shock for the rear a few mm longer than the progressive I used to have.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Yes @CornbredNE the RaceTech spring is much shorter than the original, youll need to make up a spacer, I used 3mm wall aluminium tube, overkill but its what was at my mates workshop, they cut it to length in the lathe,
Spacer sits on top of damper rod, or gold valve if youre fitting them (highly recommended) and a steel washer either end of the spacer.
How much preload did they spec?
Mine was 25mm which it just about the depth of the fork cap with washer. So make your spacet length so its flush with the top of the forktube and screwing in the cap gives the preload.
I gave mine a few mm more cos Im a more is better sorta person.
Anyhow its all covered in my thread on the subject.
Sing out if you need to know anything else I've not covered.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes @CornbredNE the RaceTech spring is much shorter than the original, youll need to make up a spacer, I used 3mm wall aluminium tube, overkill but its what was at my mates workshop, they cut it to length in the lathe,
Spacer sits on top of damper rod, or gold valve if youre fitting them (highly recommended) and a steel washer either end of the spacer.
How much preload did they spec?
Mine was 25mm which it just about the depth of the fork cap with washer. So make your spacet length so its flush with the top of the forktube and screwing in the cap gives the preload.
I gave mine a few mm more cos Im a more is better sorta person.
Anyhow its all covered in my thread on the subject.
Sing out if you need to know anything else I've not covered.

So I got the install of the front fork springs figured out after reading all 12 pages of the thread that you wrote on your install.

The initial preload spacer that I cut was 13" long, which left about 40 mm of preload and is probably too much (bike only has about 20mm of sag with me sitting on the bike. I'm going to rework them probably tomorrow night to get a more manageable sag measurement.

I'll try to get some pics on here shortly, I just finished mounting up a Ness fairing tonight and I'm off to get license plates for the bike tomorrow so I can get the bike on the road.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Yeah mate 40mm a bit much, I accidentally miscalculated my preload cos I didnt take into account the almost 25 mm of the cap and 2 washers.
I could only just get the caps back on and it rode REALLY hard.
And in rain was a bit scary.
Once I had the spacers trimmed down a bit it was 100% better as suspension needs to be compliant to properly follow the road surface.
Did you fit gold valves as well?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah mate 40mm a bit much, I accidentally miscalculated my preload cos I didnt take into account the almost 25 mm of the cap and 2 washers.
I could only just get the caps back on and it rode REALLY hard.
And in rain was a bit scary.
Once I had the spacers trimmed down a bit it was 100% better as suspension needs to be compliant to properly follow the road surface.
Did you fit gold valves as well?
No, I didn't do the gold valves at this point, I have a few other things to do first.

Just got done mounting up bars last night and have to fix a amateur mistake, when I broke off the quick disconnect from the fuel pump to the throttle body.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well to update this thread, I just figured out the best option to lift the rear of my highball. After review of some old suspension info, the Kingpins which are essentially the same bike had a rear shock that was 1/2" longer and also had 1" more rear suspension travel. I ended up getting one of the longer rear shocks from eBay and installed them. It gave me about another 1-1/2" of rear height, and first ride out, it handles much more aggressively, and less prone to drag pegs when cornering hard.

All that said, I love it. It handles like a true club bike should.
Mate what model high ball I'm struggling with the same thing and if you have a link to the exact shocky that would be great.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts