Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to reply on the GPS thread, but thought this is specific enough for its own thread.

After researching here and the recommendation of a friend (and XCT rider) I purchased the "three-piece" RAM Mount base, 1" ball, and the Universal X-Grip. I noticed after installing that when I expand the X-Grip to place my phone inside, there is quite a bit of play. This is not the case when the X-Grip is in the closed or completely open position.

Unfortunately, the design is to open the X-Grip to put your phone (or GPS, or whatever) in and allow the grip to spring-close to hold your device. However, I don't trust the amount of play and have not tried to use my phone in this mount. I fear the play would allow my phone to move and possibly get jarred out of the holder. My friends does not have this play.

I sent an email to Ram Mount and got a reply that suggested placing a piece of Popsicle stick under one of the grip arms to prevent it from moving when the device is in place. My first thought on this was "WTF?!?" - but it was a serious and sincere reply.

Has anyone else had this issue, as the Ram mount folks say I don't have a defective unit. I guess I'll need another device holder, as I just plain don't trust this universal X-Grip.

Dan

·
Registered
374 Posts
Austxdan

I had my X-mount for about 7months now and I've had no issues with it. I currently have the Samsung note IV and previous to that I had the note II. I'm also using the otter box case which has the rubber case around it that provides extra friction. Do you have your phone in a case this may provide that extra grip?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I noticed when my phone is in my XGRIP it is secure , but the XGRIP does rotate in about a 1/4 turn radius . This makes it difficult for the display to stay straight , and or where I put it .

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Austxdan
Do you have your phone in a case this may provide that extra grip?
Yes, it is in a Spiegen case. I'd prefer not to test out the case's protection in this shaky mount. I have a Galaxy S5. Does your device have free play when mounted in the X-Grip?

BTW - by free play I mean when installed you can twist clockwise and then counter-clockwise very easily. Eventually it "hits" the end but can easily be rotated back the other direction.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed when my phone is in my XGRIP it is secure , but the XGRIP does rotate in about a 1/4 turn radius . This makes it difficult for the display to stay straight , and or where I put it .
MAGS - that's exactly what I am referring to.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have a RAM Mount X grip and ball attached to the clutch bracket. Mine has the rotational free play that you are concerned about as well. I've been using it for close to a year and it holds my Galaxy S5 very well. My S5 is in a rubber lined case but I don't remember which one. I switched from the Otter Box because it was just too big and I kept dropping the phone getting it out of my flight suit pocket.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
MAGS - that's exactly what I am referring to.
That is completely normal , believe me , you will not lose your device . I have used mine for 15,000 miles with no issue . I try to rotate mine to where I want it with the charging cable oriented to help keep the device from moving . thumb up

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is completely normal , believe me , you will not lose your device . I have used mine for 15,000 miles with no issue . I try to rotate mine to where I want it with the charging cable oriented to help keep the device from moving . thumb up
Thanks MAGS - methinks I'm being a bit paranoid (doesn't mean they're NOT out to get me) so I'll super glue the rubber ends on the X-Grip and give her a go. cheers

D.

Maybe I'll reinforce with some velcro. Or Duct-Tape! Yeah, I'll just wrap the damn thing in Duct-Tape!! :D

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I also have the X mount. I have literally placed the phone in the X and waved it around with the other rend in my hand and it didn't budge. Although it has a little rotational play, I am very confident in this mount.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes, it is in a Spiegen case. I'd prefer not to test out the case's protection in this shaky mount. I have a Galaxy S5. Does your device have free play when mounted in the X-Grip?

BTW - by free play I mean when installed you can twist clockwise and then counter-clockwise very easily. Eventually it "hits" the end but can easily be rotated back the other direction.
Yes, but It's not rotating on it's on. How high above the windscreen is your phone, I have the boomerang shield and mines is pretty stedy.

·
Registered
611 Posts
That rotation is normal. Every x-grip I've ever seen has it. The smaller your device, the more rotation you will have and vice versa. I've logged thousands of miles with my iphone in an x-grip personally and never even come close to the phone falling out. I ride up to VT (about 800 miles round trip) annually with 50 or more other bikes, at least half of which all use an x-grip to hold their phone and no one has ever lost one in the 4 years I've been going. Everything from a harley road kind and my XR to track tune ss bikes so we have a full array of abuse cases represented. I agree that it's annoying because the phone won't stay exactly the way I oriented it but it's no less secure because of it.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
RAM mount device holder other than the X mount

the RAM mount is an awesome product and a huge game changer at least for me. the X mount although commonly advertised is not my favorite out of the possible options. seemed a little flimsy for my liking. I ended up finding a much more secure feeling holder also from RAM for my Samsung S5. this thing is very adjustable and will hold most of today's devices probably even the Galaxy Note not sure why they advertise the X mount and not speak much of the other which seems much more sturdy and secure. maybe the x mount has gotten better since I had one the below item seems to have improved over the one that I bought from them last year.

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-UN4U

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
the RAM mount is an awesome product and a huge game changer at least for me. the X mount although commonly advertised is not my favorite out of the possible options. seemed a little flimsy for my liking. I ended up finding a much more secure feeling holder also from RAM for my Samsung S5. this thing is very adjustable and will hold most of today's devices probably even the Galaxy Note not sure why they advertise the X mount and not speak much of the other which seems much more sturdy and secure. maybe the x mount has gotten better since I had one the below item seems to have improved over the one that I bought from them last year.

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-UN4U
Interesting mount. Although I've purchased a lot of RAM products over the years, I was unaware of that one -- thanks for the link.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I have been using an X-Grip for 3 years on my last two bikes (with an iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 respectively). I have the rotational issue you mention as well. I have found that it wants to walk/rotate to a natural low point. If that point is not vertical, as I would like, I loosen the knob and rotate the holder. If the phone comes to natural rest at 2 o'clock, I loosen it and rotate the holder to 10 o'clock and the settles in vertical and stays there until I dismount the device. I usually get it very close on the first try now that I know to NOT tighten the mount in the 12 o'clock position to start with. I sometimes switch between my Garmin and my iPhone and it has a different settle point. A little experimenting and it will stay vertical once you find where it WANTS to rotate to. A minor inconvenience to me for such a versatile mount.
As far as grip... This thing holds like a VISE! I would never risk a $700+ phone if I didn't have complete confidence. My deivces have never moved a bit (even in a slick Ziploc baggie in rain)

·
Banned
471 Posts
I also have the Ram X mount...it works great...BUT be forewarned...if you phone has a case on it, like most do it could compromise the grip on the X mount.

My Samsung S4 has a Mophie juice pack case and the X grip does not like it...Don't ask me how I know...:crzy:

·
Registered
383 Posts
The Mophie has a rather slick plastic case which really doesn't lend itself to the X holder. I just picked up an X grip and tried 2 phones with it. A Galaxy S4 with mophie pack and a Note 4 with Otterbox. The S4 slid around a bit while the rubber grip of the Otterbox was rock solid.

·
Registered
611 Posts
ram mounts were the best option 2 years ago.
the better option now in my opinion are http://www.slipgripcarmounts.com
Ok I'll bite, why are those better? They're no cheaper than a RAM setup, are specific to one device, and offer only a suction cup mount. The only advantage I see is the articulated arm for infinite adjustment which is nice but certainly not a deal breaker if I can't have it.

Before I get flamed for the suction cup comment, I don't have a problem with them. I know they're perfectly fine for harsh rides and high speeds BUT they require a large, relatively flat, and smooth surface to attach to; something not commonly found in the cockpits of a motorcycle other than on the tank.

·
Banned
471 Posts
The Mophie has a rather slick plastic case which really doesn't lend itself to the X holder. I just picked up an X grip and tried 2 phones with it. A Galaxy S4 with mophie pack and a Note 4 with Otterbox. The S4 slid around a bit while the rubber grip of the Otterbox was rock solid.
Phil,

That "could" contribute to the issue ...but that's not the reason I was told. It seems that the thickness of the battery itself does not let the 4 rubber grips old the phone correctly/securely.

So when you hit a NY size pothole the phone can come free.

I solved the problem by putting heavy duty Velcro on the back of the case and the mount its self.

·
Registered
783 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts