Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin Zumo 450 with mounts and a GPS power cord that has a powerlet plug that went into a powerlet socket on my last bike (swiped out the stock cig lighter plug for a powerlet).

Got a couple questions for those who have put GPS on yours...

1) I saw two XCs on this forum that have their gps mount connected to the housing by the left throttle grip. Im wondering- is that too close? I was thinking of mounting it further down the handlebar closer to the dash? Anything I may be missing here?

2) Anyone swapped out their 12v plug on the fairing and installed a powerlet plug? Its the BMW style plug that is the most secure connection for motorcycles. Is there a specific kind for the XC?

·
Registered
381 Posts
My Lowrance GPS came through with a male cig lighter plug. I need an adapter to mate it to my powerlet wiring harness on my old bike. On the XC I just plug it into the cig lighter and everything works fine. I took it for a (longish) test ride yesterday. The connection never loosened up or faltered in anyway. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use my Droid 2 phone as my GPS and MP3 player and if I have 3G coverage I use my Sirius XM app. I use the GPS mount and made an additional mounting bracket for the car kit to mount to but the 12v plug in the faring works just fine as well. I have never had the plug come loose or the phone come off the mount.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
573 Posts
I use the factory ball mount, close to the left handlebar grip (I assume you didn't mean throttle). Works fine for me. I changed to the cigarrete type plug on my Garmin mount and have had no issues with it (I agree the BMW style is better, but.......).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing your set ups... this is what I ended up doing:

Purchased a chrome RAM ball mount from Mountain Innovations (chrome-B-231U) for $27. I have the stock black mount with the u bolt, but the Victory screams for a nicer mount)

To make it simple since I already have a powerlet plug on my garmin cord, purchased the adapter for the 12v outlet from Powerlet (AAC-001) Thats the silver band in the outlet in the pic. Also purchased the USB Type A/iPod/iPhone 3G adapter (AAC-006) from Powerlet. I can then charge my Apple devices with the stock usb charger. I will usually have that in the trunk outlet for charging the phone on the road Both were $18.

I placed the mount as far back on the handlebar as I could to make it less obtrusive while not blocking the gauges.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts