Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1251 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I guess one's choice of phone is based on what one is used to, what one needs it for and what one wants to pay. Maddog, I'd be more than happy to convert to a smart phone if a good one could be had at the price point I'm paying for the flip. I prolly wouldn't use one to the extent you do though as I'm still hung up there somewhere in the last century. That's the same reason I wouldn't buy one of those BMW bikes with all that electronic froo-froo on it. I'm also put off by all the electronic nanny stuff they're putting into our cars now too. I was born well before all that came about and adapted to very little of it, cuz I'm a simple guy who still uses a paper map.
I always get our smart phones for free or $100. But it comes with the 2 year contract. We have Iphones, had Android before them and Windows and Blackberry before that. Tried going back to Android by way of the Samsung Galaxy 6S when it came out but had nothing but problems... went back to Iphone. About ready for another upgrade, Had this Iphone for over 2 years. Cost me around $4/mo to own it if you consider the $100 price and the time I've had it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
P.S. there is absolutely nothing wrong with my phone, my wife says it's time to upgrade lol. I still have my Iphone 4S that I use to stream music in the backyard on the soundbar while we swim or BBQ. I was using it in my saddlebag as well to stream music on my bike.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Its a lot easier to use current technologies when they were already in place when you came into the world. For me, its another learning curve to have to climb and I am so weary of them. Printed out all 151 pages of the manual for the flip phone I ordered and skimmed through them. Cripes sake, its just a flip and yet it does many more things than I will ever put to use.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Its a lot easier to use current technologies when they were already in place when you came into the world. For me, its another learning curve to have to climb and I am so weary of them. Printed out all 151 pages of the manual for the flip phone I ordered and skimmed through them. Cripes sake, its just a flip and yet it does many more things than I will ever put to use.

My grandma is almost 87 and she has never even had a drivers license. In her whole life she drove 1 country mile. My grandfather passed in 1998 and she has still never driven. She got a smart phone this year and called me from FB messenger a couple weeks ago while I'm in Afghanistan, she has never owned a computer or used the internet until she got the smart phone and she figured it out on her own. Now, she's not great at using it but she uses it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I always get our smart phones for free or $100. But it comes with the 2 year contract. We have Iphones, had Android before them and Windows and Blackberry before that. Tried going back to Android by way of the Samsung Galaxy 6S when it came out but had nothing but problems... went back to Iphone. About ready for another upgrade, Had this Iphone for over 2 years. Cost me around $4/mo to own it if you consider the $100 price and the time I've had it.
In my opinion, the S6 was a huge mistake. Why would you take an amazing product and change it? I don't like built in batteries and not being able to insert a micro SD card. That is one reason I don't want an iPhone. I am not knocking the iPhone, just saying it isn't for me. When Samsung redid their Galaxy line when they released the S6, I decided then that I will not upgrade for awhile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
In my opinion, the S6 was a huge mistake. Why would you take an amazing product and change it? I don't like built in batteries and not being able to insert a micro SD card. That is one reason I don't want an iPhone. I am not knocking the iPhone, just saying it isn't for me. When Samsung redid their Galaxy line when they released the S6, I decided then that I will not upgrade for awhile.

Because if they don't change, they will be perceived as stagnant in an ever-changing arena.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Because if they don't change, they will be perceived as stagnant in an ever-changing arena.

I agree but they made it more like their competition and to me having a removable battery and SD card was a huge deal and it was for others as well. That is why they switched back with the S7....if I wanted that, I would consider the iPhone. Instead, they have possibly lost me as a customer.

I do like their "Active" line though. Again, I will buy what I want. To me, the S6 is good for nothing but target practice!

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Build date on my Moto Droid RZR is 11/21/2013.......I will not get a new phone till this thing completely dies.
I am probably going to do the same thing. This one is a little slow but it works!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went completely off the Res and got an LG V10. Love this phone! It has everything I need and want, the best screen I have ever had, and it is rock solid. Plus it has a removable battery and micro SD card socket. But yeah, it's already "obsolete" because the V20 is out now. Basically the same phone with just a few new doo-dads on it. But I think I am going to hold on to this V10 for a good while...

In other news, since I am still new here I am playing around with the site and just started working "the garage". It's kinda fun! You know, just rounding out the ol' profile. It's all part of that settling in process!

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Question: The phone I'm getting has a removable SIM card. Does that mean its unlocked and I can go to another country and buy one of theirs so I can be able to use it there?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Just because the phone has a removable Sim card does not mean that it's automatically unlocked. You should probably ask your carrier whether or not your phone is locked. If it is not, they typically will unlock it for you after it is paid for, meaning the two-year commitment has been satisfied. Once the phone is unlocked, then you can choose your carrier.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Question: The phone I'm getting has a removable SIM card. Does that mean its unlocked and I can go to another country and buy one of theirs so I can be able to use it there?

Yes. I'm in Afghanistan and use Roshan for my service. $5 for the SIM card and $20/mo for service. I don't get minutes because they would run out really fast but I get data so I can talk to you guys and my family. Can text and FaceTime and Facebook etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
When I get the new phone, I have to go to a Sprint store to transfer the old phone's contents to the new one. I'll see what they can do for me while I'm there, in terms of unlocking. It is a Sprint phone, so maybe not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
All this F#*!$n talk about phones is total BS..........Oh, alright, then........carry on.
That is why I was trying to gently break it up with the garage talk... but they went right back into the phones. :devil

·
Registered
374 Posts
All this F#*!$n talk about phones is total BS..........Oh, alright, then........carry on.
Perfect they are on the BS thread !

So about your phone Ric, unlocking means you can use it with another carrier, AT&T to Sprint, to Verizon. They are proprietary networks. The SIM card authenticates who the phone belongs to and allows the service to work if it sees that card is allowed to use that network
Typically when traveling you want to check on what kind of cell service it will work with, some countries have older cell service like GSM, ask the store what type of cell service it's compatible with.
I have an older flip I take when I've been to SE Asia for the areas that had older services, then I just go buy a SIM card and can communicate with home.

·
Premium Member
6,146 Posts
Ha The banner got banned, just a question, is this screen name already taken in this forum ¿ coz if you google his name he is a member on 3 pages of forums... Twitter etc

Andre using TaPaTaLk

41 - 60 of 1251 Posts