Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1265 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I made a pot of chili yesterday and we had it for supper. It's pretty damn good and I had a bowl for breakfast. Chili and cold snowy day just go together. The temperature was 23 for four hours and has drop down to 22 now at 11:10 am. It's getting colder. I guess I need to go light the heater in the Cantina and warm it up for a while. I warmed it up to 85 degrees last night before coming in the house to watch the President. I keep a brooder light in the rest room that comes on at 38 degrees and goes of at 54 degrees. But I have paint and other stuff I would rather not freeze in cabinets out there. The temps will be back up in the 60's Friday and Saturday. I'm about ready for summer.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I had a little ski training in the Army at Camp Drum in northern N.Y.. THAT'S A COLD SON OF A GUN UP THERE. They had about 5 ft. of snow on the ground. We went through several days of training and the day before we went to the slope it warmed up enough to rain. We the next morning we headed to the slope, it had a rope that would pull you up to the top. That slope was solid ice, just getting to the bottom still on your feet was a great accomplishment. But we still had a great time.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
We had a light snow last night. It's about 30 degrees Fahrenheit right now. Winter lingers on and I've still got things to accomplish around here before spring. I'm getting really lazy lately.

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
We had a light snow last night. It's about 30 degrees Fahrenheit right now. Winter lingers on and I've still got things to accomplish around here before spring. I'm getting really lazy lately.
No snow here but as trees die off I cut them down and some I just take out like the 3 grape vines last week. The goal is to get my property into as low-maintenance shape as I can so when I get older I don't have to pay someone to trim trees and haul the debris off. Some old folks lived here at one time who were really into gardening so they turned the property into their version of paradise with fruit and nut trees at an expensive cost of water and lots of work. They enjoyed it. I don't.

One project I have ahead is to buy lots of charcoal then pile them on the tree stumps to burn them out. Much easier than trying to dig or pull them out. They don't need to be burned out completely; just lower than the level of the ground around it. Then I fill up the hole with fill dirt.

I don't think you're lazy NAB; just getting to that age where doing yard/property maintenance is more than you want to tackle even if it is good exercise.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I'm taking bushes and trees and anything that makes it easier to mow with less trim work. I like to do as much as I can on the lawn tractor.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
No snow here but as trees die off I cut them down and some I just take out like the 3 grape vines last week. The goal is to get my property into as low-maintenance shape as I can so when I get older I don't have to pay someone to trim trees and haul the debris off. Some old folks lived here at one time who were really into gardening so they turned the property into their version of paradise with fruit and nut trees at an expensive cost of water and lots of work. They enjoyed it. I don't.

One project I have ahead is to buy lots of charcoal then pile them on the tree stumps to burn them out. Much easier than trying to dig or pull them out. They don't need to be burned out completely; just lower than the level of the ground around it. Then I fill up the hole with fill dirt.

I don't think you're lazy NAB; just getting to that age where doing yard/property maintenance is more than you want to tackle even if it is good exercise.
Yup, that's how I got my palm tree out, cut it above the soil, then drill about 50 holes in the center, but not on the outskirts, then get real coals that burn forever and put them in that wood mash...

These 1" or 2" drills are cheap as chips

PS, best aluminum drill you can dream off

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I've got a couple of small stumps I will burn out in the spring. It needs to green up around here first. I have a large Globe Willow I'm going to have to cut down. But I need to rent something that's big enough to get though the trunk. I don't think I can get my arms around it. I've left enough green branches on it, that it will leaf out and look okay this next summer. I've been babying it for several years. But it's not going to last much longer. It was the first tree I planted out here.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Valentines day is this Friday and the weather is going to be okay here, in the 50's. So I'll pick up a couple of 7oz lobster tails and grill them with a ribeye for super that night for the old lady. Need to pick up a bottle of decent whiskey also.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Valentines day is this Friday and the weather is going to be okay here, in the 50's. So I'll pick up a couple of 7oz lobster tails and grill them with a ribeye for super that night for the old lady. Need to pick up a bottle of decent whiskey also.
Of vodka,
FINLANDIA is the best & smoothest ever.. No need even to mix it, you can just nip it and enjoy

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
This morning at first daylight. I looked out front and someone had ran over my mail box again. This happens every couple of years, generally it is hit by a plow when the tractors are moving to a new field. It was a vehicle this time. They didn't stop but left parts. Then I later heard a loud crushing metal sound. A pickup lost control on the slick roads and flipped on its side and ended up in front of my house. It took out a good deal of fence and broke my weather station and driveway entrance alarm. Roads where a little icy this morning. I helped him get out of his truck, he was okay. Screwed up way to start a Saturday.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
He had insurance and they have already got In touch with me.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
He had insurance and they have already got In touch with me.
RIP mailbox, can you claim that too, together with the fence?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
No, I wouldn't do that plus it was evident that the truck didn't knock the mailbox down. The road is a state Farm to Market road and they furnish the mailbox post and mount. They also install the post and mount the mail box. I drove a piece of wood and some angle iron beside the broken post and wired it together. Straightened the mailbox up some and reattached it to the post. That way I can get my mail and it will work until I can get the Texas Highway Department to replace it.

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
No, I wouldn't do that plus it was evident that the truck didn't knock the mailbox down. The road is a state Farm to Market road and they furnish the mailbox post and mount. They also install the post and mount the mail box. I drove a piece of wood and some angle iron beside the broken post and wired it together. Straightened the mailbox up some and reattached it to the post. That way I can get my mail and it will work until I can get the Texas Highway Department to replace it.
That's interesting. Out here in AZ you would be expected to deal with it yourself. Different states; different laws, policies, and norms.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I forgot to mention that one of the State Troopers that came out to investigate the wreak rides a Cross Country.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Interesting I thought every state the mail box was the homeowners problem. Hopefully they don't take long to replace it.

1221 - 1240 of 1265 Posts