Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my Magnum in kind of a weird situation.... It was traded in at a boat dealership, she only had 1075 miles and no owners manual (but all the tools and bag and pretty much look like she has never seen pavement).

She was making and awful noise on deceleration... Well come to find out that was just an extremely loose belt (which I adjusted to proper tension). The mirrors and controls where way out of whack, clutch lever pretty much down and brake lever as up as possible... Well come to find out she never had the post-delivery inspection done or the pre-sale inspection....

Ok... So, here is my rant...

I take her to the local Victory dealership.... Tell the dealership that I would like the 500 mile service and the post and pre inspections done and I will pay for them... I just want her up to par as a new bike with 1600 miles now on her at that time....

I get the bike back - along with my $260+ bill.... No big deal, I said that I would pay that...

She was running like chit, riding rougher then chit and to top it all off the check engine light starts coming on......

I check the AIR shock - only has 10psi in it - I put in 55 psi and holy cow what a difference... She handles amazingly.

The check engine light is the 168 - I check the battery and wow, they are so loose it isn't even funny... Oh and now she is back to running great! Its funny what tight battery connections will help with.

Just pisses me off that I pay for a service and get a $260+ oil change....

Rant Off!!! I will do what I always do, I will work on my own stuff!!

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
This is why most of us, who can, work on our own bikes. For low level stuff like you talked about; they give the job to the least experienced person in the shop so they can get some experience but no one ever checks their work.

You should make sure both the service manager and the owner of the shop is aware of what happened. They can't fix the problem unless they know about it. You aren't snitching; you're helping future riders not have the same thing happen. Sometimes a new tech needs a bit of an ass chewing to be more alert and check themselves. This is assuming they have been taught how to do it correctly in the first place.

We live we learn....

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I worked in a tire and lube shop for 13 years, ran one for five of those years. I personally am one of those weird people that takes pride in his work regardless of how menial it might seem, but in that time I learned that, with rare exceptions, I could count on my coworkers and subordinates to do the exact minimum required of them. Less, if they thought they could get away with it. I hate saying it; I want to be able to trust people to do the job right because it's their job to do it right.

So, yeah, I feel ya. I don't tend to immediately go out to my car/bike and double check the work. I at least wait till I get home lol

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I do not trust guys with tools in their hands doing things on my stuff, unless I know their capabilities very well. I had a machine repair biz for over 40 years and the things I saw on these machines, done by others would have your hair standing on end. The worst work was done by "factory trained techs" - yeah sure. If you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, you can do most anything on a Victory, they are very easy to work on, and we are here to help.
BTW, the battery bolts do tend to loosen, so best you place star type lock washers under 'em.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all.... I am thinking a quick run by the shop might be in order... If nothing else they know that they did something wrong and may be a training exercise.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
BTW, the battery bolts do tend to loosen, so best you place star type lock washers under 'em.
I use the split lock washers , better holding power . :nerd

Reactions: RICZ

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Just pisses me off that I pay for a service and get a $260+ oil change....

Rant Off!!! I will do what I always do, I will work on my own stuff!!
I have the knowledge and ability to work on my bike , and I do . BUT I wanted to have the dealer do my 500 mile check up mainly for future warranty if needed , they would see that I had been back for service . I had the same thing happen , belt too tight , clutch too tight , low oil , no air in shock , pretty much just like you.

I got home found this stuff all wrong , and the wife was against it from the get go telling me to just do it myself . Anyway , she came outside and said what are you doing , I told her everything was incorrect , and I had to fix it . LOl , she went bat-**** crazy and called the dealer and had my money I paid refunded to my credit card , they never even challenged her , anyway , LESSON LEARNED .:wink

·
13,262 Posts
Makes you wonder if the tech has a to do list, to go off or does the service writer just write oil change down.
I guess its up to us to ask what all are they going to do. How many years or months does the tech have doing service
I have learned to work on all my bikes so I'm the good guy or I did it bad

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealership printed out the page from the manual on what to check at what mileage and highlighted what was done.

Just upsetting that you cannot pay for a good service, even here in a small town..

Maybe my battery came loose? Maybe my rear shock is bad? I guess we will see here in a few days of riding....

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Was thinking about your complaint about the shock pressure. Per the service manual, they set it appropriately if you and whatever else you had on the bike were a combined weight of 225. So, they were just going by the book there. I know a lot of guys like 'em a little stiffer. I usually run mine about 30, and I weight 190. With something like that, they'll go by spec unless you request otherwise, because how else would they know?

As for the battery, was a test/inspection part of the service?

Attachments

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
30 PSI for me too, unless I'm packed for LD travel, then 40. I find more than 40 too harsh. Mind you, this for solo riding.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
20 years of aircraft maintenance, many many years building and racing my own cars, then working in racing industry and getting paid. Lax work practices will get people hurt/killed. I now am assistant instructor for a college in the automotive tech class. One thing my boss (the primary instructor) and I harp on pretty good is liability and dependability. You sign your name to the job, it better dang well be right. If its right, you do your job correctly and on time folks will bring you more work. So if you all had "good dealership experiences" would you be inclined to take your bike in to them? I think some of us would. For me its an hour 20 min trip one way.
I try to press in their minds would you put your family in this car after you work on it?

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Wow! I've been reading a lot of crazy stuff about dealerships on this forum. Glad you got your bike fixed. So far my sales department is a bunch of morons, but it seems that my service department is doing ok. Had a problem with my bike when they delivered it the day I bought it and long story short, oil pressure switch wire caught fire and so did rear break line. They replaced everything and fixed the original problem. Been riding the crap out of the bike ever since!

Thanks for the tips everyone!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Always try and fix what you can on your own equipment. Doesn't matter if it's a bike or a dishwasher. It helps to push your comfort level too. It's how you learn and get better at it.

You don't mention your age or experience but you have to start somewhere. Get a good starter set of tools and build from there. Always buy the best quality prosumer tools you can and that doesn't always mean the most expensive. And you need manuals. I prefer paper but you can download just about anything.

Mistakes will happen but if parts don't break and nobody gets hurt you can do it again and do it right. The odd skinned knuckle or electric jolt will help keep you focused.:eek:

You will learn and you will get better with confidence.

As for the 500 mile service they should check a whole list of things that have had time to wear and vibrate loose from the build. You've seen what the low end of the maintenance scale can do so take a look for a better one within a reasonable ride for those times when a repair or mod is beyond you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You guys do realize it may not be so much the techs being sloppy but the dealer telling them to push it out. Anyone owning a bike should know their way around it enough to get themselves out of trouble should the need arise.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Was thinking about your complaint about the shock pressure. Per the service manual, they set it appropriately if you and whatever else you had on the bike were a combined weight of 225. So, they were just going by the book there. I know a lot of guys like 'em a little stiffer. I usually run mine about 30, and I weight 190. With something like that, they'll go by spec unless you request otherwise, because how else would they know?

As for the battery, was a test/inspection part of the service?
Manual Says 57psi for 300lbs on a Magnum (low).
The pressure you are seeing is for the XC and XCT only.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Yep, good advice. What works for me, for a few years now on the Vic:

- Toothed washers.
- Di-electric grease on the bottom half of the bolts.
- Blue (medium) thread-lock on the top half, and then things snugged down tightly.
- Powerlet Termin-8 ( Termin-8 Easier Than A Fuseblock - Powerlet Products ) attached, to negate ever having to mess with the terminal bolts.
- Xtreme smart charger hooked up all the time the bike's in the garage (i.e., not just winter), to keep the battery in tip-top shape.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Manual Says 57psi for 300lbs on a Magnum (low).
The pressure you are seeing is for the XC and XCT only.
Didn't think the Magnum would be any different, but I guess I forgot it is lowered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts