Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I just purchased a 2005 Victory Kingpin Deluxe with 8K miles on it. It looks and drives like a dream with plenty of power. I have always been a Honda owner in the past and still have a 2003 Honda Goldwing 1800 Trike.
I have noticed engine noises on the Victory that I haven't ever heard on my Honda. Sounds like timing chain noise and also winning noise at lower speeds. I have Victory Performace exhaust so it is louder than stock but I can still hear the strange noises. Is this anything to worry about? Maybe I'm just not used to my Honda!!!! Could you shed some light on the subject.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Welcome to the forum. One more post or reply and the rest of the forums open up to you.

The Vic engines are definitely louder and "clunkier" than most, especially Honda. If in doubt, post a Video but you are probably fine.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Welcome and here's my advice... Worry about the noises coming from your Vic's top ends if you stop hearing them... :ltr:
Actually I'm serious, after 5 years and 60k miles of ownership...I've learned the Freedom V-Twin is one chatty engine. I'd imaging for you coming from a the polar opposite Goldwing engine, all this new noise might be disconcerting, but its more or less something you'll just have to get used too.
I have noticed a couple of things, 1. the type of engine oil makes a BIG difference in how chatty my engine is (I find Shell Rotella T6 to run the quietest) 2. engine noise increases a bit when the bike is about due for an oil change. 3. use common sense, most noises are normal operation, but don't ignore something that is obviously not right.
Although not usually problematic on Victorys because they are over engineered, if you're really are concerned about "timing chain noise" I recommend making sure both timing chain tensioners are seated and functioning and check the condition of the boots.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ratfink...enjoy the info and friendship on here..and enjoy your new ride....

I agree with Pain on this one....I use Rotella T6 and it made a huge difference in the sound of my cc and with the transmission....

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
Howdy neighbor. Welcome. Post up a 30 second video of your engine running. I bet it's normal. We can compare my 04 to your 05 sometime if that helps. I'm in Kingman but we could meet in Yucca sometime if you like.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
+1 on Rotella T-6. It quieted my lifters and made shifting smoother. The whine you hear is from straight cut gears. To really make shifts smoother and quieter, preload the shifter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts