Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my bike for 4 days and have put 700 miles now. Never road a Vic before I purchased mine. Do all the Victory motors clatter ? Mine is really loud. Maybe its normal for the Victory motor. Thank for the info.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
Victory's are known for their noisy valve trains, it's probably normal but without hearing it I'm just guessing. Mine was really noticeable for the first 2000 miles, either it quieted down or I got used to it.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have owned my bike for 4 days and have put 700 miles now. Never road a Vic before I purchased mine. Do all the Victory motors clatter ? Mine is really loud. Maybe its normal for the Victory motor. Thank for the info.

If it is new (only 700 miles), it will sound like that. It will quiet down eventually as you get more miles on it. 3-5000 miles is around when they seem to be "broken in". The engine will be quieter and smoother and the tranny will shift smoother. At least this is how it's been with my XCT.

There are a couple or three other things that will have an immediate effect on engine "clatter" ...

1. The type and viscosity of the oil you use (oh no, not another oil discussion!)
2. Removal of the Catalytic convertors.
3. Lloydz timing wheel.

Regardless; however, these motors are solid mounted and are actually part of the frame. All engine sounds will reverberate through the bike thus it will always have a certain amount of "engine clatter" sound.

What you are now hearing is most likely normal .... it will probably be annoying for a while and will be most noticeable under acceleration and at certain rpms. Forget about it .... ride it ... and before long you will not hear those sounds anymore and in fact, many of them will go away.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
lol this is New_Kawi_Rider from Vulcanforums who just traded in his Voyager, ain't it? :ltr:

Welcome to the club, man.

Yeah, Vics are a bit noisy, but not too bad. I image you can hear quite a lot on a vision with that nice air pocket the fairing creates, tho.

·
13,003 Posts
what gear are you in when you hear this and what rpm

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol this is New_Kawi_Rider from Vulcanforums who just traded in his Voyager, ain't it? :ltr:

Welcome to the club, man.

Yeah, Vics are a bit noisy, but not too bad. I image you can hear quite a lot on a vision with that nice air pocket the fairing creates, tho.
Are you stocking me lol ? Yes I am glad to be rid of that thing. 16 months 24000 miles of misery !

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I here it at idle and sitting still when I bring the rpms up. I am sure its normal just never have road or been around Victory motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I here it at idle and sitting still when I bring the rpms up. I am sure its normal just never have road or been around Victory motorcycles.

It's hard for us here to diagnose what we can't hear. I'd suggest you take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
Its very important to keep the revs above 2200 when new. Hell, I keep 'em above 2200 all the time and I have over 14K miles on the clock. Welcome to the Victory clan and this forum.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes

Its very important to keep the revs above 2200 when new. Hell, I keep 'em above 2200 all the time and I have over 14K miles on the clock. Welcome to the Victory clan and this forum.
I have noticed the bike does not like it below 2000 at all. My Voyager the bike I just trade for the Victory would run down below 2000 with out bucking to bad.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Are you stocking me lol ? Yes I am glad to be rid of that thing. 16 months 24000 miles of misery !
24k of misery?! What was so bad about it? All the VN1700 owners at the other forum seem to be in love with theirs...ya know, except for the 2 or 3 dozen who've had to spend a thousand bucks getting stuff to work right. :ltr:

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
I have noticed the bike does not like it below 2000 at all. My Voyager the bike I just trade for the Victory would run down below 2000 with out bucking to bad.
After its thoroughly broken in, you can occasionally venture below 2000 rpm, but I don't recommend it.:crzy:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
24k of misery?! What was so bad about it? All the VN1700 owners at the other forum seem to be in love with theirs...ya know, except for the 2 or 3 dozen who've had to spend a thousand bucks getting stuff to work right. :ltr:
If the 1700 are so great why are you riding a Victory ?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Mine was a rattle box until I added the tuner and got over 1000 miles. She's still getting smoother yet. Don't sweat it until 2-3k on the odometer.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Taking it in for the first service tomorrow. I will ask about but I am sure it is normal.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts