Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this bike going on 5 years now i love the bike its a perfect fit for me the problem is it is totally unreliable never no if it is going to start and if it does if your going to get to your destination when it does start you get about 1 or 2 miles down the road at a speed of about 55 to 60 mph it will sputter then shut down most of the time you pull over down shift to neutral turn of key wont restart if you dont turn key back on start bike and go. lately when i start bike it will fire up run for 5 or 10 seconds shut of on its own and then wont start for a day or 2 at all been away from home when this happens have to find a hill push it there and roll down and pop the clutch to get it running this happened on Thursday Friday morn I started it to ride to work made it just over 3 miles before it sputtered and shut down. I went through normal restart up procedure it started I shifted into 1st let out the clutch heard god awe full noise from lower back end blew a drive belt is there no end to this crape have had it in repair shop every summer for a C notes worth of repairs ready to junk it

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
If you decide to junk it, let me know... I'll come get it.

Your issue is probably something simple, you just haven't found anyone who is simple enough to figure it out.

Seriously, it is tough to diagnose an intermittent problem.... but not impossible. Stay with it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Fire or gas.. Have you pulled a plug when it wont start? Damp? When you had it in the shop have they checked your fuel pump pressure. If not, something to think about, I would be leaning more towards the fuel pump from your description.

Im with Half Crazy, if your wanting to dump it....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Have you taken apart all of your wire connectors and look for any corrosion? Then clean and apply some D/ E greese. Intermittent problems could be as simple as a bad/ loose connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It sounds like it is electrical in nature if your bke all of a sudden cuts out completely when you are cruising down the road. It is probably a bad starter relay or voltage regulator. I had the same problem on an 89 superglide.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
your so full of ****...You love the bike for 5 years you say---> i love the bike its a perfect fit for me---> but yet it is unreliable does all these bad things to you and you list a random bs list of things that happen to you and yet have not fixed the problem in 5 years ....I call bullshit you are obviously tring to dog Victory ..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not dogging victory

no i am not dogging victory bikes but i have had this bike for five years had it in 3 different repair shops in including a victory dealer ship never less than 500 to pay for the repairs or so called repair get the bike home ride for a week or two only to have it happen again the guys at my shop place bets on weather its going to start when i go home and believe me i always pray that it will so to stop being the but of there jokes the longest time it was in a shop was almost 2 months paid 750 for a fixed bike only to have it shut down on way out of the driveway and 2 days later shut down doing 70 mph with a tractor trailer behind me and then 3 days later had id towed back to shop wouldnt run at all in shop another 3 weeks so im sorry if i sound negative but dam how much would you take

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I am convinced after being on this forum that if you have a decent amount of mechanical skills these guys will get you through any repair. I have replaced brakes, fixed the voltage regulator issue, change the air filter, fuse replacement, put in a new battery, and did all kinds of other adjustments including the exhaust. All with a little help from my friends here on the forum. Ask the questions, get the answers and proceed. You save a ton of dough and you learn more and more about your bike each time. I can see the dealers for the major issues but if you follow the tips here I bet it is one of the things that has been mentioned. good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok why i liked this bike

i work on a military base there are a **** load of bikes on this post all kind and models the bike riding course turns out about 30 riders a month most are crotch rockets and a bunch of Harley,s now being 6ft 3inch tall and near 300 pds i have tried all makes of Harley s and dont like the way i fit scrunched up rice burners are out of the question this bike fit me perfect 1500 cc tall bike lots of extras nice looking, my saying around my shop is anybody can ride a Harley it takes a real man to ride a VICTORY i live in up state New York if anyone noes of a bike repair shop around Watertown please let me no just tired of pushing it for miles and having it sit in shop and not riding like i love to do thanks and Victory has some of the nicest bikes out there just to small to fit my big ass on and feel comfortable i looked for 3 years before i found this bike sat on it and new it was the one i wanted picked it up the next day 3 days later it shut off start of a long road of repairs lol thanks for your time but to that one guy what would you do if you had the problems i have had i could go on for hours with what they have had me try like static electricity was the cause i put on a static strap by order of dealer and it didnt work .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh by the way

I am not mechanically inclined although I am trying when it comes to wiring i dont want to mess with it there is a lot of **** a guy can really screw up not knowing what he is doing

·
Registered
538 Posts
i work on a military base there are a **** load of bikes on this post all kind and models the bike riding course turns out about 30 riders a month most are crotch rockets and a bunch of Harley,s now being 6ft 3inch tall and near 300 pds i have tried all makes of Harley s and dont like the way i fit scrunched up rice burners are out of the question this bike fit me perfect 1500 cc tall bike lots of extras nice looking, my saying around my shop is anybody can ride a Harley it takes a real man to ride a VICTORY i live in up state New York if anyone noes of a bike repair shop around Watertown please let me no just tired of pushing it for miles and having it sit in shop and not riding like i love to do thanks and Victory has some of the nicest bikes out there just to small to fit my big ass on and feel comfortable i looked for 3 years before i found this bike sat on it and new it was the one i wanted picked it up the next day 3 days later it shut off start of a long road of repairs lol thanks for your time but to that one guy what would you do if you had the problems i have had i could go on for hours with what they have had me try like static electricity was the cause i put on a static strap by order of dealer and it didnt work .

if memory serves there is a dealer right near you that has come pretty highly recommended. I know I live south of you in Cortland and I use SSR Powersports in Castle Creek (just outside of Binghamton). That really sucks that you're having a hard time with your bike. I know a couple people with the V92 and they really seem to like it and not have many issues. hopefully you can get it squared away soon.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I am not mechanically inclined although I am trying when it comes to wiring i dont want to mess with it there is a lot of **** a guy can really screw up not knowing what he is doing

Not really. Not if you unplug one connector at a time, clean it and re-assemble with Di-Electric Grease. It is time consuming, tedious, and painful work. Most shops in my AO will not invest that kind of time on an older machine.

I would start with all the fuses, relays and circuit breakers. I have a buddy at work that bought and sport touring bike for a song because the owner was having the exact issue you describe. He cleaned the contacts on the main fuse, applied some D-E grease and rode it for 30000 miles before selling.

·
Registered
693 Posts
your so full of ****...You love the bike for 5 years you say---> i love the bike its a perfect fit for me---> but yet it is unreliable does all these bad things to you and you list a random bs list of things that happen to you and yet have not fixed the problem in 5 years ....I call bullshit you are obviously tring to dog Victory **** OFF AND DIE YOU WEAK ASS BITCH... sorry to be so suttle
Grow up, Okie. Even if he was trying to dog Victory, that's still no reason to respond in such a childish manner. And calling someone a "weak ass bitch" over the computer? Perhaps you should look in the mirror.

As for the OPs issues, I'm guessing it's likely a number of issues. First and foremost, electrical. Then likely fuel/fire. Hard to say for sure.

Some information that would be really helpful here if you have it:

-Miles (how many now and how many when you bought it five years ago). i.e. if you bought it when it was eight years old and it only had 800 miles on it will be very different than if it had 80,000, plus if you ride a lot or a little
-How long ago it started happening (both miles and years)
-Anything that has been tried by the dealer
-A general idea of the maintenance, both while you've owned it and if you know anything about it before you bought it

These are just starting points to help us help you. Best of luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Some questions..

Have you had a dealer run a recall check to ensure that all were done?

Do you know if your '99 has had the alternator upgrade? Look at your voltage regulator (down low in front, next to the starter) and check the corners of the regulator housing- if they are squared off, you have the original 23 amp alternator, if rounded (about the same curve as a quarter), you have the upgrade. Alternatively, look at the "volts" section of the multi-function display - if you see 14 volts or so at idle, you have the upgrade.

Have you checked your electrical ground connections? Follow the big cable from the (-) terminal on the battery to where it bolts to the frame. The connections should be clean, shiny & tight....

What is the age & condition of your battery?

When you are having problems, what voltage does the multi-function display show?

When was your fuel filter last replaced?

Has any check been done on fuel pressure? If so, what result?

Enough questions, now for observations...

The EFI system gets REALLY cranky on low voltage, and the 23 amp alternator didn't even start charging until you hit 2k rpm.

Also, consider the throttle position sensor - they tend to die early deaths with the 23 amp setup. Usually, they show problems when the throttle is in the range most commonly used - intermittently cutting out at ~ 2700 to 3100 rpm is the most common symptom of this. They are commonly available at auto parts stores - cross-reference Neihoff FE4038. If you have to replace it, you'll have a chance to thoroughly clean out the throttle bodies as well; also check the rubber throttle body adapter (the part beneath the throttle body) for cracks which could be leaking air.

A clogged fuel filter or something else affecting fuel pressure could give many of the symptoms you describe, also.

These bikes aren't rocket science, and are pretty straightforward to work on...

What you really need is a wrench who knows the older Vics, or at least one willing to do some research on it - these issues (alternator, TPS, grounding, throttle body cracking with age, etc.) are well documented, as are the fixes.

One thing to keep in mind - when removing the gas tank, carefully pull the male part of the quick-disconnect STRAIGHT out - don't get it at an angle, or you risk breaking a rather pricy & difficult to replace part. Likewise, when reassembling, make sure it goes straight in as well; also, when you reinsert the male part, press the quick-release in manually; if you rely on the built-in latch to hold it, you'll probably shave a bit off the O-ring, causing a leak... (all this from personal experience...) Best advice is to have the tank as empty as possible, and to have a helper to hold it while you fool around with the various connections.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
getting my bike back from the shop

ok guys thanks for all the help and support. the bike shop called my bike is ready to be picked up another 500 dollar repair bill that makes a 1000 this season they replaced the drive belt 220 bucks twos labor said the crank censor was shot and full of metal shavings that this is what was causing it to shut down while riding does that sound like a pliable cause to you guys looking forward to your replies

1 - 20 of 25 Posts