Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with my local dealer this last Friday and asked about fuel controllers. He said that since I had already installed an aftermarket exhaust all I needed was a better air filter and a reflash of the controller. He said the 2016 has a smart controller that automatically adjusts to my riding style. Huh? I thought that I needed a fuel controller like the Power Commander V. What gives?

Oh by the way I'm riding a 2016 XC Tour.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I was talking with my local dealer this last Friday and asked about fuel controllers. He said that since I had already installed an aftermarket exhaust all I needed was a better air filter and a reflash of the controller. He said the 2016 has a smart controller that automatically adjusts to my riding style. Huh? I thought that I needed a fuel controller like the Power Commander V. What gives?

That's news to me.

It's not your style that's the problem. It's the change in air flow, air intake, and fuel burned that needs to be adjusted and to my knowledge a tuner is needed for that.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts

Depends on the exhaust and intake type really...Vic 'stage 1' exhausts and slip in filter you could probably get away with a flash, but once you get into real performance exhaust and intake then a means of precisely adjusting fuel air and spark is essential if you want your engine to last.
Exhaust valves and pistons arent that expensive but the R and R to replace lean burnt ones is...
The best bike deserves the best performance and the best maintenance.
IMHO.

·
13,002 Posts
He is not telling you the truth as we know it. You do not have a tuner. What hes trying to say is with pipes and air filter the dealer can install a flash. That will increase your fuel and red line by 2%. Am guessing they will charge you a $150 bucks or more. Its not worth the money and your bike will run just fine. If anything buy a Maximus and tune for around 2 grand. You'll get a smoother motor and wind up with around 95 horse

·
Registered
321 Posts
Until you put an air flow meter on it you won't know if your are running lean or rich. If so, easily fixed with a Dobeck piggy back unit and AF meter to check it.
That is what I did.

Buying something pre programmed and only a few maps without taking to a knowledgeable dyno tuner is like buying pants off the rack without looking at the size.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
He is not telling you the truth as we know it. You do not have a tuner. What hes trying to say is with pipes and air filter the dealer can install a flash. That will increase your fuel and red line by 2%. Am guessing they will charge you a $150 bucks or more. Its not worth the money and your bike will run just fine. If anything buy a Maximus and tune for around 2 grand. You'll get a smoother motor and wind up with around 95 horse
$2K is a bit much. I sell the Maximus for $379 and tune service for $375 here in house.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
$2K is a bit much. I sell the Maximus for $379 and tune service for $375 here in house.
Sounds like great value ....personally the idea of a remote tune sounds a bit errrrrrrr

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
Sounds like great value ....personally the idea of a remote tune sounds a bit errrrrrrr
I can see why but in reality it's pretty much the same as being there once the tuner and the tunee's computers are linked and the tuner and bike owner are talking on the phone at the same time.

The laptop is a loaner belonging to the tuner which gets sent back to the tuner once the tune is finished. At least that's my understanding of how that works. It's too bad the program for the tunee's end could not simply be installed on a smart phone or person's personal laptop to avoid all the shipping of the tuner's laptop. That way if there needs to an additional tweek in future due to a change in exhaust or something; a laptop would not need to be sent again. Just hook it up, let the program read the onboard bike CPM or whatever it's called, then send the data file to the tuner to adjust and send back to be installed back into the bike's CPM.

Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong but I've never liked seeing my bike on a dyno getting revved to redline over and over and over again. I would think going to 4k or 4.5k would be plenty for most of the tuning then a few redline runs to finish the top end.

I'm sure someone here will tell me there's no way it damages the engine in any way and intellectually I believe that. I still see it as an unnecessary abuse of the engine when it has to go to redline every time. I'm just a bonehead that way I guess.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
You cant over rev a Vic when its under load mine goes to 6300 where the limiter cuts in
Engineers Ive talked to that have been inside a Vic engine reckon theyd go to 8000 safely such is the sturdy design of them
Not that anyone would take one that far but its nice to know theyre so strong.
I had no qualms about having my Vegas properly dyno tuned by an expert.
Got my PCV got my tune.
No more mods so Im done and dusted in that area and have power to burn!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Powervision CX actually is sounding like the best solution for someone with no experience. They just announced that starting in Jan for $100 they will provide a service to tune your map over emails! Plus with the CX we are told we can tune, log etc with our stock narrow band O2 Sensors, and this will be good enough with stage 1 upgrades. No need to remove them. No need to add a wide band kit if you have not done cams.

All of this means that a PowerVision CX is going to be an excellent lower cost solution for everyone doing stage 1 upgrades. Plus a handheld display. Plus you are getting the email tune option and support from the mothership. What more can you ask for?

·
13,002 Posts
Maximus and Power CX supposedly do the same thing. Am sure the coast is about the same. You would have to read up on both to see if they'll do what you want. I would think the big thing is will you be able to get a hold of them when you need them

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
I actually got to talk to one of the engineers that made the Stock ECM for Buell X1 bikes 99-2002. They would test the bikes down at a local small airport. He said the stock ECMs were really neutered. Ofcourse they were, pinging, fast overheating all on a hot rod motor already making a lot of heat. Criminal if you ask me. Mine got saved with a Race ECM.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
I actually got to talk to one of the engineers that made the Stock ECM for Buell X1 bikes 99-2002. They would test the bikes down at a local small airport. He said the stock ECMs were really neutered. Ofcourse they were, pinging, fast overheating all on a hot rod motor already making a lot of heat. Criminal if you ask me. Mine got saved with a Race ECM.
A mate just picked up a Rotax powered Buell cheap ..Now its a real weapon!

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Being the bang-for-the-buck frugal type I did what SemperVee did. I bought a used Lloydz VFCIII and a used digital AFR meter from forum members and was able to get a real world tune, cuz I was seeing what my air-fuel ratios are while riding in various conditions; idle, cruise, accelerating, etc. and adjust the fuel to my liking - a tad on the rich side. My bike is running strong and smooth and I can care less what some dyno chart will show me. And all that for less than $250.
I suggest you do the same unless you are out for big HP and Torque numbers on a piece of paper.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Yeah and sometimes I think mine woulve been ok left as it was too...
Till I ride it😈

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Yeah and sometimes I think mine woulve been ok left as it was too...
Till I ride it😈
Although I took the lazy route to a "tune" I gotta admit I admire what you did to your bike and how you use it. It involved a lot of skills and knowledge that I lack. I came on this forum years ago not knowing squat about the XR I just bought, but thanks to you and many here, I am competent to do just about anything I want to my bike.
Those wet pockets will dry soon...not to worry. :angel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts