Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is normal on these bikes, but the clutch on this bike seems really hard to pull. I followed the cable to the tiny clutch grab sticking out of the tranny, and that seems to be where its hard to move. The cable itself seems adjusted correctly with just enough play. Any ideas how to fix this?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
You can remove the handle and clean and lube/grease both ends. Make sure the cable feels free while it isn't connected. You can also spray cable lube into the cable on the older bikes. The newer one don not require lube in the cable, but the ends do need cleaned and greased on all years and models. Also check to make sure that the cable is routed with the least amount of bends and no kinks in it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The clutch pull on Vics takes a little more effort than most other/all bikes I've ridden. What you're describing sounds like a typical Vic clutch to me. Make sure the slack is correct in the cable and be sure to apply grease on the clutch lever and primary ends.

If you've yet to download the service manual for your model, here's BBob's link:
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=10829

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
If your bike has a lot of miles, remove the clutch lever and inspect the brass bushing in it for wear, it will easily slide out of its hole. If worn, replace and make certain it is well greased.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Have you used this EASY ASSIST CLUTCH CLUTCH ARM PULL AND COVER and if so, do you find that it does indeed make the clutch easier to pull? Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Easy Pull

Sand Man

As I said earlier in this thread, there is an aftermarket "easy pull" arm that fits over the exsisting arm. I installed it on my Wifes bike a few years ago (easy installation), makes a huge difference, like going from a motorcycle clutch to a bicycle brake lever.

Dez

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thank you for that info. I, being female, was finding the clutching on my new Gunner a little to hard to grip and pull. With having issues with Tennis Elbow, was just wanting to see if there was a big difference in the pull by adding the easy clutch accessory. I will look into getting one ASAP. Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Clutch Pull

Sand Man

I have nicknamed my wife "Paws" as she has small hands. She had complained about the clutch being too hard to pull on her Vic Classic Cruiser so I got her the "Easy Pull" and it has made a huge difference.

The workmanship was also great and it is easy to install.

Safe riding,

Dez

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed one on my 08 Vegas a short while ago. Installation was easy as was the adjustment. I really liked the feel of the clutch and it also made the engagement point closer to the bar. I found it great for small hands. The bad new is - I had to remove it after a few hundred miles due to wear on the cable where it exits the metal tube behind the rear cylinder. It seems that the longer arm caused the cable to exit the tube at a higher angle and had already worn through the plastic sleeve on the cable. I'm waiting to hear from Witchdoctors to see if there is a fix or a refund coming. Again - I liked it while it was the bike, but I don't want to deal with replacing the clutch cable every 500 miles! Others seem to have had better results although I'm not the only one with this problem.

·
13,043 Posts
Its not your bike but you do all the same thing to lube your cable

·
13,043 Posts
Don't know why it wouldn't load but this is what you want
2014 Victory CCT Clutch Cable Maintenance

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Sand Man

I have nicknamed my wife "Paws" as she has small hands. She had complained about the clutch being too hard to pull on her Vic Classic Cruiser so I got her the "Easy Pull" and it has made a huge difference.

The workmanship was also great and it is easy to install.

Safe riding,

Dez
Ive fitted an easyclutch to my 2010 Vegas Low,
Works great and no problems for last 5000 miles,
A word of Warning though!
Adjustment is critical with easyclutch and you dont really need the 1/8 inch at the bar lever that the vid suggests. VIC specs. Half that, I set mine up midway between both at 3mm and its fine...no slip when engaged and it releases fully when the levers pulled in.
Check and adjust when cold. Clean and moly lube the ends every oil change though as its so quick n easy to do I double up and do mine half way between oil changes as well just for insurance.
I suspect my Vegas may have a heavier clutch spring fitted as my clutch is heavier than any other Vic I've tried and thw cable moves feeely disconnected.
The Easyclutch brings mine back to more like normal than too easy.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Very nice video on clutch cable maintenance.

If you don't want to adjust the cable, you can take a large crescent wrench to the clutch arm. Using the wrench, rotate the arm to slacken the cable and remove it. Very easy.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I see these comments a lot and have to wonder,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I find the Vic clutch spring near anemic. Are there that many poorly operating cables? I understand hands being small, etc., etc, but there is a certain amount of physical output. BTW mine is the same as the 6-8 I have tried at the dealership just to see if mine is a fluke.

Hydraulic clutches are the same as the cable pull IMHO. I found the Venture and Goldwing (both hydraulic) to be slightly stiffer than a Vic, although they were adjustable.

Did I actually get a good one or has some well meaning tech messed up the cable by lubing it? Yea some say do it, but Vic says leave it alone.

:confused:

·
13,043 Posts
If you think yours pulls harder then the ones you have tried you could have a bad cable. I do think Vic could route the cables a better way

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Gine
If you think yours pulls harder then the ones you have tried you could have a bad cable. I do think Vic could route the cables a better way
If youre referring to my post VJ, my cables free as a bird when disconnected.
The heaviness is inside the primary cover somewhere, I suspect the clutch spring has been beefed by a previous owner.
Its not a problem anymore with the Easyclutch but I am thinkinh of Vindex recommendation of the Barnett cable cos somethings gotta give eventually.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts