Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Vegas 100/6 ...67,000kms..last night took the long way home,as I often do. Riding briskly up and over a twisting hill with nice bends.
Coming back down I noted the rear brake pedal travelling further and the brake not having its usual bite.
Changed to Lyndals pads at 40,000 kms so the brakes are normally excellent.
I do tend to use the rear on this bike a lot more than other bikes ive owned as its very effective,
I do use both in emergency.
Stopped using it for 5 mins and back up the highway to let it cool down then near home used it hard and it went all the way down without locking the wheel.
Got home and checked fluid was ok. Level ok. Clear fluid. Checked lines no leaks, got torch out, couple of small pea size pebbles down inside the caliper against the exposed part of the upper piston. No evidence of leakage.
Got some fresh Dot4 fluid and with the help of a lady working the brake I on/off bled the old fluid out and new stuff in.
There was a little air came out.
Off to get a new rear tyre today so Ill get the pebbles out of the caliper then.
Gonna monitor my rear pedal travel.
Took it round the block a coupla times after bleeding and it stops great now.
Yeah I know brake fluid should be changed every 2 years but who actually does that?
Ill see how she goes today bedding in the new tyre.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Hey MB! I appreciate how everyone has their own way and style of doing things but I invite you to try to get in the habit of using both front and back at the same time.

In my experience, I've tried using both singly and learned the hard way that front brake will put you down by itself in loose gravel and back brake alone, will slide and cause you to possibly lose control.

Using both together will also equally save you replacing one set before the other.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey MB! I appreciate how everyone has their own way and style of doing things but I invite you to try to get in the habit of using both front and back at the same time.

In my experience, I've tried using both singly and learned the hard way that front brake will put you down by itself in loose gravel and back brake alone, will slide and cause you to possibly lose control.

Using both together will also equally save you replacing one set before the other.
Dill, lets make a deal, you don't tell me how to ride and I wont criticise your footwear (they're your ankles after all)

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Dill, lets make a deal, you don't tell me how to ride and I wont criticise your footwear (they're your ankles after all)

Lol!!! I am guilty of neither... Well maybe I am. I never use my back brake unless riding really hard or there is an emergency. Dill cover those skinny ankles! MBX start using your front brake more!

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK lets get back to where the air came from and changing our brake fluid every 2 years.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Check the diaphragm dealy thingy that activates the calipers... If there is any weeping it's likely coming from there.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the diaphragm dealy thingy that activates the calipers... If there is any weeping it's likely coming from there.
no comprende

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no weepage or fluid loss, had rear tyre changed this arvo and got em to pick the stones outta the caliper while they were at it.
Tyre man who also services bikes says with our climate and the way we ride, that we should change brake fluid yearly not every two years as specced.
My fluid was probably 5 years old, so therein lies the problem.
brake fluids hydroscopic (it attracts and absorbs water)
Ride hard and brakes get very hot, water in fluid gets hot, boils, creates air, pedal gets spongy.
Change brake fluid by bleeding through which expels air as well (I did see some air bubbles), and got a good hard brake pedal.
Had to ride very steady coming home, brand new tyre and pissing down rain, brakes work fine but if its sunny tomoz Ill go out and scrub in the tyre and see if the brakes are up to scratch.
Ill get more fresh dot4 fluid and flush the front brake system too cos its gotta be 5 years old too.

·
13,177 Posts
good for you changing the fluid.
I like the idea of you getting a girl to help you

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Naked girl would be best
Naked girl pumping my pedal hey!
Makes a note of that suggestion.
Suppose youd want pix as well?
Well the rears done now so the fronts are up for it
So she will be naked pumping my frontwac lever hey!
Sounds interesting...Id better get some fresh fluid.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know the drill... Pictures or it didn't happen!
Well it didnt happen yet, not the nakedness anyway.
We cant post nekkid pix on here anyway can we?
Might have to be scantily clad instead.
Oh she just asked me "dont their girls help em work on their bikes over there?"

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Well it didnt happen yet, not the nakedness anyway.

We cant post nekkid pix on here anyway can we?

Might have to be scantily clad instead.

Oh she just asked me "dont their girls help em work on their bikes over there?"

My old lady would help... She just such a klutz am scarred she would **** something up.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like your master cylinder is hosed.
Nope!...its fine now its got fresh fluid in it.
Had a hydraulic clutch on my ol GPZ900R (ZX900)
Go south once. I ordered a kit from England through GPZ Zone but while I was waiting I bled some fresh brake fluid though it and it came good...worked fine for years.
I never bothered to fit the kit when it arrived.
So I'm fairly confident all is well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts