Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 Vegas burns through rear brake pads very quickly. I am needing to replace them again, for the 6th time in 5 years. I understand that if I use a different model's pads (Touring Cruiser?) I might get more millage. Can anybody verify this? If so, what model would work? I already avoid using the rear brakes, which can be dangerous. But I burn through them within 2-3 thousand miles regardless of use. Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
to me that sounds like something is definitely wrong, seeing how the front brakes do the majority of the stopping, hopefully you apply both breaks ? the rear pads may be hanging up, sticking intermittenly, if you havn't bled the brake fluid in the last 2 yrs. i would do it, also the front while your at it and the clutch [ if you have a hydraulic clutch ] you didn't mentioned are both rear pads wearing evenly ?

steve

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 03 Vegas burns through rear brake pads very quickly. I am needing to replace them again, for the 6th time in 5 years. I understand that if I use a different model's pads (Touring Cruiser?) I might get more millage. Can anybody verify this? If so, what model would work? I already avoid using the rear brakes, which can be dangerous. But I burn through them within 2-3 thousand miles regardless of use. Thanks!
Yes, the TC pads will last a lot longer. I have an 06 Vegas and I use 05 TC pads on it. Not only do they last longer but also produce less brake dust. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I burned through rear pads on my Jackpot every 5-6k miles when I had it. In my case, I use the rear brake almost exclusively during normal riding and I had a larger wheel/tire (more rotating energy to dissapate), so I didn't think twice about it too concerned. But on a Vegas and only getting 2-3k means there is something weird going on besides just the brake pad quality.

·
Registered
243 Posts
thanks for the input kevin, that is a real eye opener to me, i only have around 1800 miles on my 09 vegas, i will post back when mine are worn down to the point of needing replacing , will be interesting to see if the motor co. made any improvements between the yrs.

steve

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
That kind of brake wear is pretty much the norm on 03-05 Vegas with the 06-07 lasting SLIGHTLY longer. Switch to the TC pads, and you will get 12-15K out of them.Plus they are cheaper. Unlike Diamond I am NOT a fan of Lyndell pads
Any idea what the part number is on the TC pads Kevin?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rear Brake issue

Thanks again diamond, as with the rest of you. I will try the Lyndall TC pads. No idea if they are better or worse than others mentioned, but anything is better than what I'm currently using. Regarding a question posted, the rears do not wear down evenly. The edges seem to go out first, then the center of the pads. Left and right are pretty evenly worn though. I have noticed while rolling the bike around I can hear a slight grind of the pads coming in contact with the rotor. So the rotor may have a slight warp to it. At this point I'd rather keep changing pads than change out the rotor. But if the warp becomes noticeable while riding I would definately change it out then. Again, thanks to all of you. :D

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Any idea what the part number is on the TC pads Kevin?
2201171 is the Number for the TC pads

Cal Cruiser, TC pads do not refer to a Lyndell pad. It is referring to Victory's Touring Cruiser which was made from 02-06

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
2201171 is the Number for the TC pads

Cal Cruiser, TC pads do not refer to a Lyndell pad. It is referring to Victory's Touring Cruiser which was made from 02-06
Thanks Kevin!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an 03 vegas as well and I run through rear brakes about 6k as well. 2k-3k, I think it might be your riding style. I use my rear brake in slow manuvering mainly and my front when riding with the rear assiting. You might also have some air trapped in the line causing the pads to be slightly applied to the rotor. Have you tried bleeding the brake lines?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts